Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot-what do I do with them?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jul 2006, 17:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Kroot-what do I do with them?

i have one set of 12 kroot warriors and i have no idea what to do with them. sure they are good in close combat but what otherwise?
Old 24 Jul 2006, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Kroot-what do i do with them?

People are gonna jump all over this post, as I believe that there's a kroot tactica in the stickies, but I'll give it a go.

With 12 kroot (battleforce, I'm assuming) your best option is to run them in a cheap unit of 10. These guys can do several things.

1. Deny infiltration space. Kroot have the ability to infiltrate, and as such, they can deploy in such a way that your enemy has to set up 18" away from them, due to the infiltration rules. This creates a sort of "bubble" where you know that there won't be any infiltrators, who could possibly get close to your main army, and even perhaps assault your fragile tau lines. In addition, they can be in a better position to take and hold objectives, as they set up closer to them.

2. Speedbump/Distraction- this really depends on the type of army you're facing. For example, against say a fast Tyranid assault-based army, the infiltrating kroot can be set up in front of your lines to draw the assault to them and slow the tyranids down in CC for a turn or two, sparing your pathetic tau from getting eaten alive. Assuming that your kroot are in cover, they'll get 2 attacks at I10, which should actually do some damage, however their low toughness and lack of an armor save means that they'll get chewed up in CC. That's OK, it's what they're there for- a speedbump while you get into position to rapid-fire the buggers to death.

Against a shooty, more mobile army such as Eldar, you could employ the Kroot as distractions. With their kroot rifles, they can pump out a decent number of shots. Couple this with infiltration on top of an objective, in good cover(remember, they get a bonus for being in the woods) they can be a threat that your enemy needs to dedicate far more firepower than their points cost deserve, resulting in a disruption of your battle plan and a preservation of your main forces, which can be used in retaliation to strike against the foe, particularly when he's out of position after attacking the Kroot.

3. Pillbox, or "Sir, the trees are shooting at us"- this also takes advantage of the kroot's improved cover save in woods. The kroot sit in woods, shooting out at the enemy. That's it. They will hopefully be in woods where they can be more than 6"in, where they will be able to shoot out, but nothing can shoot in. If not, don't worry, Kroot are there to die. They are again a distraction, but also can provide a firebase. I know that charging with kroot can seem tempting, especially with 3 attacks on the charge, but the low toughness and lack of any sort of armor save will mean that they'll die if they run into any sort of capable CC troops. Keep 'em shooting.

Others here can give you a better analysis, but there's my $.02!
Old 24 Jul 2006, 17:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Rael
i have one set of 12 kroot warriors and i have no idea what to do with them. sure they are good in close combat but what otherwise?
do a check on the forums. there's plenty of uses for them.

Kroot are, in my opinion, some of the best troops in the game. Look at what they offter you.

(1) Big squads.
(2) Lots of attacks.
(3) Space Marine attack profile (WS, Str)
(4) A Boltgun.
(5) Infiltrate.
(6) Access to kroot hounds.
(7) Dirt cheap!

Kroot have several main roles. For me, as a mech player, i use them as bodies. because 4 tanks are not that many things. throw in 30 kroot and i have more versatility! they're my main infantry, as i only take 8 fire warriors. ever.

First, the main thing. Infiltrate. It does not mean *get closer*. It means deploy after everyone else in places no one else can get into. As such, they're the perfect unit to place in a threatened spot in your lines, or to exploit a weakness that you can see in your opponents set up.

Kroot are good in close combat. they're good, but not excellent. sure, they get 3 marine attacks on the charge, but the most common initative is 4. kroot go last. and they die very, very fast. toughness 3 and no save is dodgy in close combat. that said, they do have i5 kroot hounds...
So generally, kroot hide in woods, where they get a 4+ cover save. they shoot their bolters out of the woods and with up to 20 of them, they're gonna hurt something, especially if they're rapid firing! they get charged, and then the go first/simultaneously and they still get a lot of attacks. kroot rock at shooting. don't feel odd about using them this way. their numbers make them better shots on average than fire warriors. more dice. more hurting.

So, the above is what they can do. what good is it to you? the simple answer is play to their strength. stick them in a jungle so they can shoot stuff. and don't randomly stick them anywhere. stick them somewhere where they're useful. use them, maybe to guard your flanks. use them, maybe as a counter attack, and keep them behind your main lines. use them as forward scouts and make a swift move/rapid fire to hurt a dangerous unit. use them as stormtroopers and keep them mobile, motiring up a flank where they're not too exposed to enemy firepower. they act as a decoy, and will screw over the other guy's plans. Or hit stuff. charge. hack. eat! i've had 12 kroot tear a whole through a whole flank on many occassions before.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Jul 2006, 20:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Tau Commander Send a message via MSN to Tau Commander

use kroot as a distraction, they can do quite a bit damage and yes they are disposable, dont spend your time trying to save a sqaud and thing like that, use them as cover, distractions, meat shields, while the rest of your shooty army moves into good position. Infilitrate infilitrate infilitrate as said in previous post, infilitration can not be stressed enough. also a good thing to do is have fun >

want a sig or avatar like mine? http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=29403.0 request there and i'll do w/e you want
i used to be Tau_va back in the day o_0
Old 24 Jul 2006, 22:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver
use kroot as a distraction, they can do quite a bit damage and yes they are disposable, dont spend your time trying to save a sqaud and thing like that, use them as cover, distractions, meat shields, while the rest of your shooty army moves into good position. Infilitrate infilitrate infilitrate as said in previous post, infilitration can not be stressed enough. also a good thing to do is have fun >
What is it with tau players??? > (can't say i can't have an opinion as i used to be a tau player (the shame :-[)

We are not a speed bump or a distraction, i've had this argument with many people and i'm sick of it, in terms of strategies and use a kroot can be more tactically smart than a fire warrior squad.

I would type another rant but i'm tired, check this out to answer any doubts/beliefs. It's views from both sides and is actually helpful no matter how silly it got

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18354.45

Old 25 Jul 2006, 01:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

They arn't a distration or speedbump by themselves. Compared to the rest of the Tau army, they are!

I use them to hold a side. A bastion around which my mbile gunline flows. 20 Kroot will force the enemy to take the other mountian pass, which has less cover. They want to go straight to the refinery, but I've got 20 kroot there and my entire army waiting to move in anywhere.

They shoot amazingly well at anything. Gunline... that assults back!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 25 Jul 2006, 03:55   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Kroot-what do I do with them?

To clarify. They do make an excellent speed bump. That is not their only role. Against an experienced player, they can also serve as a good deterrent. If you use the same type of tactics against an inexperienced player, they are going to be a poor deterrent and an excellent speed bump, no matter what your original intention was.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 06:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well as a tau player with a few games to my credit

this is the way i choose to employ the 16 kroot i got in my tau army deal box .
15 kroot with armor upgrade + 1 shaper with pulse rifle and armor infiltrated into wooded hills or wooded area Terrain useally 6 to 18 inchs ahead of my main firebase with my three BS 4 stealth suits staged 6 to 12 inchs away from my kroot so as to produce overlapping bands of fire with two out the three units above noted . but sometime i get lucky and have LOS with all three units to one target .
Old 25 Jul 2006, 09:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They are often used as a speedbump or pain the rear for your enemy however they can be used skillfully to acheive great effects, especially in close quaters maps.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 25 Jul 2006, 12:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

My kroot die. They are more than a speed bump, they are a firemagnet. By infiltrating a unit small enough to get in terrain yet large enough to survive small fire, they will serve well. Any shooting or fighting they do is just bonus material. I find it takes about 2 rounds of shooting from multiple enemy to get them out of terrain (unless unfavorable fallback roll from 25%).

Also always set up in woods 6.1" back so the kroot can shoot out but ccan't be shot at. Very cute trick that causes the enemy to expend even more resources.

Two examples of kroot in action:

Bad: Kroot occupy a ruin in the center of the table against speedfreaks. Orks dismount truk and charge the kroot. Kroot go first and kill off 5 orks. Orks go second and kill off all kroot. Now in my turn the orks get a 4+ cover save and FW are hampered in ability to insta kill da boyz. Total delay for orks was zero, but total interefrance with Tau abilities 100%. Failure for the kroot.

Good. Kroot occupy a forward position on a rocky hill 18" from enemy whirlwind which is behind and house. SM player feels the threat and uses only available unit to fire at kroot...the whirlwind. Shoots and kills 1 or 2 kroot per turn for 5 turns of play. Every kroot that dies forces a pin test; the kroot remained pinned until turn 6 when the remaining 4 run down the hill and rip into a reforming scout squad. kroot die in return fight, but scout squad is now below 50%. A victory for kroot.

wanax
Closed Thread