Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions from a non-Tau player.
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jul 2006, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Questions from a non-Tau player.

Okay I don't play Tau, but I really love the mech suit models and sniper drone models. I was wondering if a Tau army compirsed of almost all suits would work. All I ever see in Tau armies are a couple of Firewarriors mounted in Devilfishs, 3 Piranahs, and Hammerheads.

I don't see stealth suits or Broadsides ever. I dont' thave the codex, but I was I was wondering if an army with 2 commanders with crisis suit retinues, Stealthsuits, 2 Firewarrior squads, Pathfinders with rail rifles, 2 Broadsides squads and a maxed sniper squad. Of course I would have to adjust squad sizes due to point costs.

But for fluff wise I was thinking of some kind of Tau Special Forces, minimal vehicles and lots of dakka.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 22:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Questions from a non-Tau player.

Hm... strange...

Alright. first things first: suit army. In this case you usually want an army run by Farsight. Now this isn't some 'craftworld' buff where the suits become troops, but they ARE 1+ meaning you have to take'em. Most other special units are 0~1 in this case. But farsight's the only REAL melee-tau (monstrous creature attacks, actually) and can take a bodyguard of up to *7* crisis suits with him.

So, if you want to max out on crisis suits:
Farsight with 7 bodyguard
Shas'O or Shas'El with 2
up to 3 teams of 3 crisis suits as elites... Now we're already talking up to 20 crisis suits.

However, this is bloody expensive. And if you're not playing a farsight army, crisis suits are usually best kept to a small handful. They're our source of 'special' weaponry like plasma, fusion and missiles, but we don't need as many as you might think. Plus, having bodyguards or drones removes the IC status of your commander, and making things like vectored-thrusters useless.

The reason you see FW squads in devilfish and pathfinders is that its a very points-efficient choice. You get a good gun capable of affecting even a carnifex or war-walker (we don't have special weapons in most of our squads, BUT our regular pulse weapons have decent strength in exchange), on a very good (if a little expensive when tricked out) skimmer transport they can shoot under. By no means extremely powerful; this won't be a tankbuster or marine-waster unit or anything for that cost, and they're dead in melee, but very versatile and does pack a fair punch.

And pathfinders? that's for the markerlights. These things have half a page to themselves in the codex, almost. They're THAT useful.

Your little list more or less describes something close to what I currently play: 1 Shas'el with CIB/Plasma, 2 helios (plasma+fusion) monats, 3 stealthsuits (with 2 gun drones and 1 shield drone), 2 full fire-warrior teams in warfish (SMS devilfish) with markerlights, 2 Gun-drone squadrons (Cheap Pinning fire-warriors with jetpacks and deepstrike that can take out AV10/11, a personal favorite), 2 sniper-drone teams and a pair of lightly-equipped railheads.

The main thing you have to remember is that unlike most other armies, our regular infantry gun CAN damage that warwalker, carnifex, hive-tyrant or talos. We don't have heavy-bolters or the such, BUT we can take down low-armor (thus replacing quite a few weapons) on the run, damage that big guy, or get some pretty decent wounding rolls against other infantry. Because of this, we simply don't NEED as many lascannons,heavy-bolters,missile launchers and fusion guns. We may suck at melee, but there's not much even our riflemen can't do.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 23:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yea over here we call them "mechanized" armies. we still have to take the two fire warriors squad but you just take the devilfish transport and its good.

ironically my army is very close to what you'd like to see, here's my list exactly 1.5k techically "hybrid" but i consider mechanized anyway

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=29259.0

and yea, fluff wise im making it a special hunter candre of sorts, more worried bout finishing making it first though
Old 24 Jul 2006, 00:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hmm, well, are stealth suits any good? I knew that Crisis suits had a 0-1 but Stealth suits don't have that do they, or are they not cost effective?

But yeah, this is more of a fluffy, cool looking army, a small, elite force that doesn't use heavy tanks becuase their to big and bulky, and would give their postion away.

Are suits shooty or assaulty? Becuase if Farsight is Assaulty then would I really want him in a shooty army.

* The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

~Uthan the Perverse.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

wouldn't a tau special force be maximum vehicles and screw the dakka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 24 Jul 2006, 00:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine13
Hmm, well, are stealth suits any good?* I knew that Crisis suits had a 0-1 but Stealth suits don't have that do they, or are they not cost effective?
Stealth suits are* very good . They have three shoots each , opponents must roll to spot them ( as Night Fight rules) , they have Acute Senses , can jump - shoot - jump , can upgrade their Burst Canon to a Fusion Blaster ( 1 per 3 ) , have a hard point for mounting more gear , have a Space Marine's armor save , they have the Infiltrate special rule ,and can Deep Strike if the mission permits . A unit of six Stealths cost 180 points base .

Crisis suits are for shooting not assaulting , Commander Farsight is the only exception and that's because of the Dawn Blade.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 24 Jul 2006, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine13
Are suits shooty or assaulty? Becuase if Farsight is Assaulty then would I really want him in a shooty army.
Well, when I said farsight was the best meleer in the tau empire... that's more or less because he's the ONLY melee guy in the empire. No one else has power-weapons, force-weapons, power-fists, or any close-combat upgrades whatsoever other than farsight and his dawn-blade. Crisis and broadside suits have a good strength score but everyone in the empire has bad WS and atrocious I. Worst in the game I believe; only power-fists go after your men on average (I think a commander goes before necrons though).

The suits? you can't get more shooty than this. Name me one other army where commanders AND elites not only have jetpacks (not jump-packs, BIG difference. Jet is for shooty, jump is to close in and assault faster) but can fire two different weapon systems at a time. Even a master in terminator armor won't be carrying both plasma AND missiles (or melta, or whatever) at once, right? These things are shooty personified.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 09:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
These things are shooty personified.
Yeah, thats true enough.

You said all tau have bad initiative but that is not true, steathsuits cont as being in cover all the time so they have an efective I. of 10; not shabby when cutting through guard or using them as a last ditch speed-bump.
I just think that steath armour should give Hit and Run, it makes alot of sense and would boost steath team's value enourmously.

"For the Greater Good!"
Closed Thread