Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sniper Drones....I love them, do you?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jul 2006, 10:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Sniper Drones....I love them, do you?

Hello, Nuke here, and I have a confession to make: I LOVE Sniper Drones. I was playing a 1500 point game against 2 space marine players, with one of my friends fighting on my team. One player on each team got to pick 1000pts of stuff, the other 500 pts, determined by dice rolls. It was 2 Tau players vs 2 Ultramarines players. I'm not trying to turn this into a mini-battle report or anything, but just to set it up so you can more easily understand what I'm talking about. We won 1st turn, so I fired all of my markerlights from the sniper squads at a marines squad. All 3 hit, and were used to + the Drones BS. 8 Marines died to the Sniper's fire (out of a 10 man tac. squad), leaving the Sergeant and a lascannon marine left. They took a leadership test and (gasp!) FAILED! They ran off the board. Later in the game, the snipers destroyed a deep striking assault squad, leaving only the chaplain standing, with only 2 wounds left, to boot. Did I mention that they also killed a near full squad of termies and inflicted a wound on their termie chaplain? (not in one turn, of course). My 240-point Sniper teams lost 2 drones (separate squads) in total, but annihilated a FULL Tac squad, a FULL assault squad, and a nearly full termie squad. The Termie squad also had firewarriors and SMS hammering down on them, but the drones took out the majority of them. The Assault squad also lost 2 marines to SMS fire, but, still, the snipers took out the rest. I'd say that they paid for themselves with intrest. Anyone possibly facing a MEQ army should definitely take some. And keep in mind that, if a Space Marine doesn't get his save, not much else will. This was not meant to be a fancy Sticky-type of topic, and I know that other sniper drone threads have been posted, but I figured that I'd share my experience. Mabye I'll convert someone in the process . Comments welcomed! Please give me your personal thoughts on the drones, too, along with any experiences with them, if you could

Thanks, and Happy Hunting!

-Nuke

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 23 Jul 2006, 13:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Sniper Drones....I love them, do you?

I really like the sniper team but I do not like them being drones ( I have them proxied with pathfinders with rail rifles and a pathfinder like spotter.)

They are a good value , strike fear into the enemies for the Tau , and supply another marker light.

I use them to knock out jump infantry and heavy weapons teams mostly . My best results with them were shooting Necron Pariahs before they could reek havoc in my lines.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 23 Jul 2006, 17:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint
I really like the sniper team but I do not like them being drones ( I have them proxied with pathfinders with rail rifles and a pathfinder like spotter.)

They are a good value , strike fear into the enemies for the Tau , and supply another marker light.

I use them to knock out jump infantry and heavy weapons teams mostly . My best results with them were shooting Necron Pariahs before they could reek havoc in my lines.
wow i never thought about using path finder as the sniper drone team

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 23 Jul 2006, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

just the opposite for me... I love that they're drones. I'd much rather they be a networked squadron though, without that pesky "kill the controller and they all die" bit.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

im thinking of getting some sniper teams now, they sound good. what does MEQ mean?
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:07   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven324
im thinking of getting some sniper teams now, they sound good. what does MEQ mean?
It stands for Marine Equivalent. Basically, anything with toughness 4 and a 3+ armor save.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ollie

yea, sniper drones are cheap(ish) effective and are sooo damn good. people underestermate the sniper-drones all the time, and they get whats coming to them!

oh, and saint, that has to be the most brillint idea ever! i bet you could make a good golden deamon entry with one of those... ;D

In loving memory of Kangaroo Joe 1987-2007

May the Emperor smile upon him
Quote:

by Farseer Emlyn

This could be solved if only they'd give Space Marines access to Commissars. "I'm sorry brother Amaleius, there isn't room for you in the transport" *BANG*. "Alright, men, let's get moving".
Old 23 Jul 2006, 21:33   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Not to mention how easy it is to pin an enemy unit with them, assuming you have the Markerlight support to keep their Leadership down. Pinning marines with Pulse Carbines can be pretty hard, since you don't really have a good chance to kill a Marine with a single Carbine shot to force the test. Rail Rifles are another story altogether.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 23:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, the more pinning tests the merrier... true, gun drones aren't great against marines, but you can have them chase down that landspeeder instead.

Just remember your sniper squads all have target-locks on them and they're seperate units despite sharing a force.org slot. So if you can, fire each drone at a different squad. Each wound will cause a pinning test, since its from a different source. If you're lucky and all 9 shots wound in 3 different enemy squads... that's NINE pinning tests! And if you're still not happy, fire the gun drones at'em too!
Old 24 Jul 2006, 03:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

No.

Longer answer:

For pure antivehicle firepower I'd rather have a pair of broadsides- which shoot a more powerful shot with the chance to re-roll misses.

If I wanted to pin something I'd send gun drones after it enmasse, but usually I'm trying to kill said target instead of pinning it- besides, most of my opponents are fearless anyway and won't flinch if I try to pin them halfway across the board with railrifles.

There are other alternatives available in my army that I'd take over the Sniper squad- and most of them are mobile in one form or another. I'd rather have vespid.

And in the end, you're killing at most three models per squad. Far less than the total potential for Gun drones (With twinlinked carbines), or a pie-plate from a Railhead.