Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Technology Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jul 2006, 23:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau Technology Upgrades

[size=15pt]The Future of Tau Tech[/size]

Out of all the races it would make sense if the Tau had regular updates to their
rules. I'm sure everyone remembers the introduction of the Rail Rifle, and that's kinda what I think should continuously happen. If GW ever did such a thing here are a few things I'd like to see.

[hr]

[size=13pt]Suits and Upgrades[/size]
  • Of course the XV22 becoming standard issue (or maybe only one per army) for commanders. Give it two-three hardpoints, and beside that give it Shadowsun's stats (but not equipment).
  • Make deep strike accessable always (for a 3-5 point increase)(make it an option).
  • The Command and Control Node losing it's special equipment status. Give it a slight points increase or even keep it SI but give it some LD boost. Positional Relay losing its SI status (but only one per army, it wouldn't make sense to have more anyways)
  • Shadowsun's advanced target lock is awesome and on a normal commander with options it would be great. Imagine a missile pod Commander being able to fire 4 S7 shots at two different targets at BS5. A multitracker would need to always be on the suit in order for it to function. Make the Advanced Target Lock SI and 20-25p, or make it 10p but the player must pay for both weapons basic cost (not the twinlinked one)(Example: a missile pod is X points, a twinlinked missile pod is X+5 points, Advanced Target Lock missile pods 2X points)
  • Support drones, namely drones who simply provide an extra hardpoint for a suit. They would be SI and could only hold support systems (no weapons). Also they would not make the unit non-IC (the drones would be about the size of the system so much smaller than normal drones, they must also stick very close to the 'host' suit or they'll lose power or something). Make them 10p plus the cost of the support system.
  • Rail rifles can be mounted on Suits and become Assault 1, but losing some range (6"-12"). It would be cool to have pinning suits, even though Plasma would still be the more efficient armor killer.
  • Extra Power Generator Support System, Weapon gains "Gets Hot" rule but strength is increased by 1 to a maximum of 10. May not be mounted twice. I want another draw back, or replace the existing one (because of the danger of having a reactor on your shoulder) but I can't think of one. Lowering the armor save is a bit too brutal, and allowing the enemy to re-roll wounds is a bit powerful.
[size=13pt]Troop Upgrades[/size]
  • A Fire Warrior Shas'ui may take a Support drone with battle suit system attached.
  • A team of Snipers do not need to stay within 2" of one another for maybe 20p per team.
  • Markerlights being able to "zone" an area for deep striking. Roll two dice, choose lowest (or highest). If there are doubles, roll again, if another double is rolled the squad dies. This plus the PF Devilfish, and Positional Relay could create a cool sort of deep strike army for the Tau.

[size=13pt]Vehicles[/size]
  • Tetra's becoming 'official'.
  • Stealth system for Tanks. If they haven't moved they may activate the Stealth System. Night fighting rules and all that jazz, but if the vehicle fires a weapon the opponent may roll 3 (or 4 I dunno) dicex3, for distance (there could still be the off chance that the enemy did not see where the shot originated). It would be pretty pricey, maybe 30-50p.
[hr]

Now I know that regular upgrades won't happen because other armies will moan about how lame the Tau are and how they're GW's baby. It would just be cool and fluffy. Most of the above mentioned upgrades really only require one to convert stuff and GW doesn't really need to make new models (except maybe the Tetra, but they could always just refer players to FW).

Anyways, feel free to comment on my stuff and I'd definitely like to see some of your guys' ideas.

P.S. - This isn't some lame fanboy attempt to make crazy house rules. This is more of a brain storm of what would be a cool evolution of a future Tau codex, or small supplements to the current one.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 23:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dymondheart
Default Re: Tau Technology Upgrades

uhh... sure thing. while you're at it, why not make the railgun an option for crisis suits, as well. -_- listen, it's cool and all, but i'm leaving the rules and stuff to the GW guys to develop. the XV22 is a special suit, and i think that having a stealth crisis suit available to anyone except a really good commander is a little too cheesy. especially stealth fireknives. that's just beyond cheap. yes, the tau are very advanced, but let the tech progression come with the new codecies to come.

perhaps now you see the power of the light side!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 23:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Railguns are already options for crisis suits...they're called broadsides, and they lose the ability to J-S-J because of it. Stealth Fireknives aren't even that good... imagine a deathrain suit. And as I said, GW has done tech progression between codecies in Chapter Approved. I just kind of think you missed the point of the post, this is just a little display of some cool stuff that might come in future Tau installments...
Old 22 Jul 2006, 23:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dymondheart

interesting. no offense meant. i personally stick to the codecies. no speculation about the future Tau for me, thanks. good idea, tho.

perhaps now you see the power of the light side!
Old 23 Jul 2006, 00:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah some interesting reading. Good ideas and with that kind of equipment our enemies will join the greater good before starting to fight us as they would surely loose.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 00:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymondheart
uhh... sure thing. while you're at it, why not make the railgun an option for crisis suits, as well. -_- listen, it's cool and all, but i'm leaving the rules and stuff to the GW guys to develop. the XV22 is a special suit, and i think that having a stealth crisis suit available to anyone except a really good commander is a little too cheesy. especially stealth fireknives. that's just beyond cheap. yes, the tau are very advanced, but let the tech progression come with the new codecies to come.
I think you missed the point here. The idea is simply to brainstorm what we think would be cool and fluffy advancements in Tau tech to come in the future. These arent set house rules or things that should deffinetly be made. Take it easy and have fun. Besides the XV22 is a special issue suite now but I imagine the crisis suite was the same way once. Who knows what will happen in the next 100 years of Tau development, or maybe a 1000 years. Its simply fun speculations. That said if you dont really have anything positive to add to a thread theres no need to post. Try to be more respectful to the point of a thread and not just bash it. It might not be your preference but that doesnt mean its bad.

That said Id like to see the XV22 or something like it available to commanders in general. Not a stealth suite per say but a more sleek and agile looking crisis suite variant with an in built shield generator and maybe an option of an in built stealth generator or a C&C node or command link system. The option for a commander to take two of the same weapon would be sweet aswell. Tetras would also be a nice addition.

Official human auxilaries would be nice. As would even more variants of drones and an ability for commanders or etherials to take more than 2 drones.

Lastly a new commander type. A shas'o/el not mounted in a crisis suite. Perhaps on foot or in a tank. Like an actual command squad for the Tau with a commander, and some special aids like a medic or someone carrying a C&C node or something like that. Several honor guards and maybe the option to add an etherial to the squad.

Anyway I like the idea of Tau technology progressing I just wish GW did a little more of it in the Tau Empire codex. The special issue gear is nice but its really more flashy than it is functional. Something actually effective or thats cool and at least somewhat practical would be nice. Too bad the next codex wont be for quite a while.

Old 23 Jul 2006, 01:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

* A heavy version of the burst cannon for our vehicles. There's plenty of room and power considering the ones currently equippable can be lugged around by a guy in an old, tiny xv15 stealthsuit with no difficulty.

* Different commander suits of course. Whether prototype suits (different stats or special rules? Improvements to specific existing rules? expensive of course) or just more equipment. Much as I hate to admit it, replacements for the XV8 (maybe the 22, maybe something different) which do seem a little old and clunky compared to newer models. Ideas include stealth or sniper models, enhanced command&control types, high maneuverability (probably weak but the ultimate in harassment)

*Weapon upgrades: Various battlesuit weapon upgrades available as support systems (probably costing a large fraction of the most expensive weapon's cost, if not doubling it). The advanced target-lock mentioned earlier is an example. Other examples:

+1S to a weapon (expensive of course)
+1 Additional shot (could be cheap but becomes "heavy" when used, or expensive)
weapon range improvement (50% like in the vehicle-design)... all our weapons except pulse rifles and railguns have a strangely short range, mostly, it seems, as "compensation" for the jetpacks.
'Adds pinning' (finally a reason to give'im a burst cannon?)

*Non-twinlinked Ion-cannon broadsides

*Even more hammerhead turrets!

*Assault 1 special-issue markerlight
Old 23 Jul 2006, 01:55   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

something that i would like to see is a new tank maybe the next version of a hammerhead, a FW sniper and those kroot monsters the Forge world has.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 03:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exokan
  • Make deep strike accessable always (for a 3-5 point increase)(make it an option).
Who could use this? I see no point to having firewarriors deepstrike behind a line, nor almost any units besides crisis suits. Not only would they get slaughtered, but you would have a hard time making up a reason for the models to deepstrike. If the firewarriors had jetpacks you would hear complaints from players asking why their firewarriors cannot use the J-S-J tactic, etc.

Quote:
  • The Command and Control Node losing it's special equipment status.
A nice upgrade for crisis suits without special issue access. Uses their mobility to help lower leadership models around the field. I like it.

However, crisis suits really aren't that high in leadership themselves, so with most Tau models, (firewarriors, Kroot, drones, etc), you are spending 10 points for only an 8.8% leadership boost. Still a nice idea.

Quote:
give it some LD boost.
The node uses the commander's tactical skill to influence troop leadership, the node itself is just a connection, so it will have no effect on the shared leadership.

Quote:
Imagine a missile pod Commander being able to fire 4 S7 shots at two different targets at BS5.
However, two of the same weapons on a crisis suit counts them as being twin-linked, so they will not fire as if two separate weapons. Maybe there could be a rule that for taking this upgrade you can have two of the same weapon fire as if separate, (instead of being twin-linked)?

Quote:
  • Support drones, namely drones who simply provide an extra hardpoint for a suit. They would be SI and could only hold support systems (no weapons). Also they would not make the unit non-IC (the drones would be about the size of the system so much smaller than normal drones, they must also stick very close to the 'host' suit or they'll lose power or something). Make them 10p plus the cost of the support system.
Yes, similar ideas have come up before on these forums, (just not represented as drones). I personally think it is a great idea, but points is a tough matter to decide.

Quote:
  • Extra Power Generator Support System, Weapon gains "Gets Hot" rule but strength is increased by 1 to a maximum of 10. May not be mounted twice. I want another draw back, or replace the existing one (because of the danger of having a reactor on your shoulder) but I can't think of one. Lowering the armor save is a bit too brutal, and allowing the enemy to re-roll wounds is a bit powerful.
Well, the problem with this idea is that the only weapons that actually overheat are plasma weapons, because plasma is a hard to contain highly heated liquid. But increasing a missile's warhead should not make it explode at any costs.

Quote:
  • A Fire Warrior Shas'ui may take a Support drone with battle suit system attached.
Battlesuit support systems are for battlesuits, that is why their name is on it. :P

All in all you have some pretty good ideas, I just find a few rules a little pointless.

Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 05:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
However, two of the same weapons on a crisis suit counts them as being twin-linked, so they will not fire as if two separate weapons. Maybe there could be a rule that for taking this upgrade you can have two of the same weapon fire as if separate, (instead of being twin-linked)?
That's what the advanced-target lock shadowsun has is for, remember? Makes those guns count as two SEPERATE weapons... AND at different targets.

Definitely not a cheap upgrade, but it would be some sick stuff if used right....
Closed Thread