Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What should I take on my XV8s on a 4x4 table?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jul 2006, 20:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default What should I take on my XV8s on a 4x4 table?

I have tons of fire power when it counts for ap4 and up but I need to deal with harder things SM. I was thinking Helios or Fireknife. Please help. Ps Not alot of tables with to much terrain. In my army I have 2 HH w/rail, 2 Fof, 2 10 Kroots, Stealth Suits and a Shas'o with CIB, Sheild, Vretro-Thrusters, Stim Injector (only commander I have and he is FWorld Shas'o R'Myr). Remeamber it is on a 4x4 table.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 21:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: What should I take on my XV8s on a 4x4 table?

Well if you use the small amount of cover well, I'd say Helios. You could even deep strike them if the mission allows it (it's risky though). If hugging cover is not you're deal than twinlinked plasma is the hardest hitting weapon (against saves) at range. It's expensive though, and also not as effective as it could be at 24". Fireknife is really a choice for players who don't have a specific purpose with their suits, so if you want the XV8s to hunt marines, Helios is way better. It's also a small table so getting within range is not going to be hard.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you fight both SM and other armies then go with fireknife but, against marines try two helios and two fireknife.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 23 Jul 2006, 16:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Den Käse

Well, first off I think that you should drop the Hammerheads Rail Guns to Ion Cannons. This frees up 40 pts, and you have 2 sets of (S7, AP3, Assult 3), instead of 2 sets of (S10, AP1, Heavy 1), or the submission shot of (S6, AP4, Heavy 1 Ordinance). This makes killing Space Marines a whole lot easer with the AP3 running around on the table of 3 shots at a unit. And if you haven't picked between either Burst Cannons or the Smart Missile System for your Hammerheads, then I say you should pick the Cannons if you have a Multi-tracker on it. But if you don't, then the System would be the better choice.

I like to take XV8s to handle anything, making their weapon choice diverse:
-Shas'ui (Purpose: Anti-infantry)
-Burst Cannon
-Fusion Blaster or Flamer
-Shield Generator or Gun Drones
-Shas'ui (Purpose: heavy hitter agianst high armour and toughness)
-Plasma Rifle
-Missile Pod
-Multi-Tracker
-Shas'ui Team Leader - or - Shas'vre
-His weapons should refelct how you like to play. But all the Hard Points should be taken by weapons.
-He should then take Hard-Wired systems to suport his weapons. Especialy a Multi-tracker and a Target Lock
Old 23 Jul 2006, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

remember keep it sweet, simple, and with a purpose

Old 23 Jul 2006, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

With 4x4 table you should be okey with a plasma and fusion blaster setting. Support system Targeting array to hit better. HW multi tracker.
(Dont know what Helio is, it might be my suggestion...)

Anyhow, I use this setting on one of my Crisis XV8s. It works out pretty good, but my other Crisis XV8 suit kills alot more power armours. His equipment is Plasma rifle, Airbursting fragmentation projectiles, and a flamer. Multi tracker hardwired as usual.

My commander I have used this setting:
CIB and burst cannon. And this setting has not failed me so far. Either you can go for quality weapons like plasma, or you could go for quantity weapons. Brust cannon for example.
My commander lays out 8 shots every round at a safe distance from the enemy. And if I feel like I have the upper hand I will send him in to close combat (using Ninja'O setting).

So basically. Either go quantity or quality. In the end, there will be failed armour saves. 3+ saves are not invinceable. And hey, I took down a demon prince who had 2+ save, with carbines and other AP5 and 4 weapons.

Yours Truly

Vash

It's just a game... have fun!
Old 24 Jul 2006, 00:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I have my commander set up like this
Shas'o
CIB, Shield, Vectored Thrusters, and stim. So what should I change 4 a commander that can survive CC and put out the hate?

And Den Käse I have all the anti-inf with the hammer head and every thing else but no marine killers and squad killing every marine in a squad is very good.