Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Puretide's Battlesuit?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jul 2006, 22:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dymondheart
Default Puretide's Battlesuit?

hey guys. here's some food for thought. what would Commander Puretide's Battlesuit look like? i've been wondering what the best Commander in the Tau's entire existance would use on his battlesuit.

perhaps now you see the power of the light side!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 23:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Puretide's Battlesuit?

plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 21 Jul 2006, 23:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

fireknife.... should have guessed. nah, that seems a little unlike the greatest Battlesuit Commander in the Tau empire. perhaps he had a special weapon... like some sort of burst plasma rifle thingy... that would be very cool. and... perhaps he used a shield generator. i'm not trying to suggest that he was a powergamer's dream suit, i am merely speculating what he may have used. he taught both farsight and shadowsun what they know, so he must have been very able. perhaps he used a plasma rifle, a shield generator, and some sort of out dated command & control node. after all, he was the *commander* he probably wasn't too concerned with whacking tanks as much as he was concerned with directing troops. admitedly, my commander is a fireknife with T-L missile pods and a HW multi tracker, but that's because i wanted him to whack anything that came even relatively close to my firewarriors. now, puretide probably wasn't one to get himself into that sort of situation where his fire warriors were in dire peril from enemy tanks and such.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 00:56   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

As he was primarily a tactician from what we know, I would guess that he favored a long-range approach, equipped with either a plasma rifle or a missile pod, but also loaded with support systems designed to help control and communicate with his forces.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 01:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

that's what i was figuring. he wouldn't be a simple fireknife by any means. he'd be overflowing with tactical suppport systems. probably something like a hardwired command and control node and some sort of long-ranged positional relay. i'm willing to bet that he'd have the dreaded plasma rifle. that just seems like the traditional commander weapon for some reason. i'm thinking of modelling Puretide, have any suggestions? (hat's why i began this thread.)

Old 22 Jul 2006, 01:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Puretide was a great commander as you mentioned. he fostered two great commanders: Farsight and shadowsun. Maybe you should look at them and see what these two have learned from their master. I know it aint that simple but it give an idea on how he fought. One thing they both have is shields. Farsight uses a shield generator and shadowsun uses 2 shield drones, a stealth generator and a shield generator (is she really that afraid to die?)
So I would pick some kind of shield system for him.

Puretide is mentioned as a brilliant leader and as having a balanced style of war. I would say that a positional relay or a command and control node could simulate this.

As for weapons I don't really know.

Anyway its just an idea to use these two as examples as they are former students of the great warrior himself.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 02:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well like others have said hes a balanced commander and a tactician. Thus a mix of long range and command so using the Tau Empire rules Id say he would probably be armed like this:

Shas'O, Plasma Rifle, Missil Pod, Command and Control Node, Hard Wired Multi Tracker.

And thats it. No unecessary frills, long and medium ranged, balance weapon loadout and the C&C node to better take command of his army. As for the actual battlesuite I would say it would be like the commander himself, the standard XV8 pattern with modest markings denoting rank and little else. Where Shadowsun and Aun'va seem more than a little flashy I wouldnt think Puretide would waste any time or resources on show. From a fluff point of view this guy seems to embody everything that it means to be a Tau Firewarrior commander.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah, i have looked at O'Shovah, and O'Shassera and found that they shared one thing in common; their shields. it seems like common sense to have a shield on the commander because he's the one directing the troops. puretide seems like the kind of guy that would be like an ethereal without actually being an etherial caste member. perhaps he gives the troops that inspiring presance ability. hmm... now, puretide doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who blows up tanks as a passtime, so the fusion blasters are out. he'd probably have the plasma rifle. it seems logical, as the commander should always have a heavy-hitting weapon. it doesn't necessarily have to be a crazy 18" S6 AP2 assault 3 weapon. the plasma rifle is striong enough for someone like puretide.

maybe he'd have a bodyguard, too. some very able battlesuits. NOT fireknives, but more than likely, T-L plasma rifles or a burst cannon plasma rifle multi-tracker combo. anti personnel weapons will do in this situation. you may be asking how the hell will he deal with tanks and stuff? well, that's the thing. he's *commander* he doesn't deal with tanks and such. he deals with whatever troops come close to his fire warriors. anti-tanking is a job for broadsides and railheads, not commanders.

vash, your point is taken, tho. but i doubt the missile pod would be of any use on puretide. that's just a beefy weapon set, not the command and conquer style of a true commander. remember, he'd gladly command and field fireknives, but i highly doubt he'd be one himself.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 03:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I dont know how you get that. The Fireknife is about balance and versatility what better weapon configuration for a commander like Puretide. I suggest it because its balanced and effective. It has power and strength when needed. Remember just because he is the commander does not mean he wont fight himself. In fact if I had to chose just one weapon Id have just given him the missil pod. Longer ranged style of combat directing his troops into battle is the image I get of puretide. Just because its Fireknife doesnt make it bad. Its a solid, reliable configuration thats been tried and true for longer than many have played Tau. Again something perfectly fitting for puretide.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 03:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

maybe so, but it has been proclaimed cheese ever since i can remember. i'm not suggesting that he's not going to fight for himself, i'm merely suggesting that he be given the plasma rifle. one, it has colossal stopping power, two, it's a good, balanced weapon on someone who has BS 5. he doesn't need missile pods. the fireknife config is very un-fluffy for someone like puretide. he's not the one killing the enemies all of the time, he's concerned with staying alive and directing his *army* to victory. he isn't the powerhouse of the army, he's the one who turns the *tide* of battle with his commanding skill. he strikes me as the kind of guy that the troops idolize for his ability to lead, not his ability to blow things up. now, i have nothing against fireknives. don't get me wrong here. i'm just trying to take a fluff character and give him life on the field. and personally, the fireknife seems kind of un-fluffy in this case. yeah, i know very well the power of that particular combination. it just seems like the plasma rifle is a better choice for some reason. sure, it lacks the range, but with the loss of range comes great stopping power. he'd sit behind rows of firewarriors with his bodyguard (of fireknives?). that way, he has plasma and missiles with him, but his battlesuit would be decked out with command and positioning systems. a commander is but one part of the grand scheme of the army. he is very important, yes, but he is not the only member of the army. why deck him out in the gear of the common soldier when he is better served with the systems to direct his men at peak preformance? just a few things to think about. he's like a god to the tau firewarriors. why not make him the commander/god that he is, instead of a commonly found and overly used fireknife? once again, i have nothing against fireknives. i use them, too. but someone like puretide wouldn't trouble himself with crazy weapon sets when he could easily use one simple, effective weapon, and the rest of his systems deticated to troop command.

Closed Thread