Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warriors in the new codex?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jul 2006, 20:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Fire Warriors in the new codex?

I remember before the new codex came out, lot of people took lots of fire warriors in there list. This because crisis where to many Pt's to take lotsof , but i remember every one complaining how they wish they where BS 4 ,allot of people say ed that was two over powering if they where BS4, but now with the new marklight rules you can have BS4 or even BS5 ,pulse honor guard is BS 4 .I don't play this way but i was wondering has any one built there list around this fact and try ed something like this mass BS 4 FW list i know Mechanized will be better for the fact that crisis are cheaper now and because i play mec but it dose sound fun to havelots of full squads of FW firing at BS 4 on one squad of enemy ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 21 Jul 2006, 20:28   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: fire warriors in the new codex?

I Just started playing Tau for a new army. I have limited models so my first list was 30 FW in 5 squads with 2 Marker Drones, ML and TL on the Squad leader. Very expensive list but I needed to get 2000 points with the few models that I own.

It is nice having BS 5 in the whole army, but AP 5 is not the greatest. And my stealth team had 10 shield drones and 2 marker drones which made them a heavy annoyance to my enemies. I field 6 stealth suits 1 of them with Fusion blaster.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Fire Warriors in the new codex?

I use at least 2 troops of FW (24 FW) and I use Markerlights to boost to BS 4 if possible. I do it because most of my opponents are SM and I need to kill most of his squads before they close on my FW. I Build my army around my FWs and use jetpacks to annoy my opponent and lure him within range of my FW.. so yeah I boost my BS to 4 or above to get those +16.7% extra chance of a hit.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've heard of people using mass Fire Warrior armies. Four or five full squads, with lots of kroot forcing priority checks, and nine broadsides behind them. Commander and maybe two monats (not required) for 'special teams' stuff. And the pathfinders or marker drones boosting to BS4.

It looks weird on paper but I heard it's pretty challenging to beat. Enough pulse rifle shots will kill anything and with nine broadsides, you can kill that land raider goodbye.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

as cool as that sound sadly this list would not stand to a SM drop pods army when a Librarian popsout and start uing that boo power that scares every one away but with enough kroot around you mite stall that if placed right

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 21 Jul 2006, 22:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

True.. SM using drop pods and teleport homing devices can give you lots of trouble if it is used well. A deep striked terminator troop can wipe out most things in short time but then again...
Old 21 Jul 2006, 23:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This guy's writings were _this_ close to convincing me to sell all my battlesuits:

http://www.chaosmailorder.com/storie...au_tactics.php

(to be noted is that this guy wrote his piece back in 3rd ed, so for ex. he still referred to ethereals as your best HQ choice when now commanders are 1+.)

Though to me an army of fire warriors would be pretty boring to play with OR against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 02:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

A static or all infantry army is certainly an option now, it was before but with the new codex has gotten better. It is possible to get an all infantry force that still can have enough mobility to stay strong. Tons of Firewarriors, broadsides, sniper drones, stealth suits, crisis suits, kroot, vespid, gue'vesa the options are there, plenty of them.

Also even a Librarian using fear of darkness or whatever its called would have trouble making a serious dent in a full infantry army. He might run a few units off the board but there will be others if done right and with an Etherial placed right you might even stand firm.

Old 22 Jul 2006, 02:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

There is no denying that Markerlights and +1 BS is the bane of our enemies. Combined with S5 weaponry, a pulse rifle becomes ferocious.

However, GW actually got something VERY right here, and that's the brittleness of what can take markerlights. Pathfinders, Shas'Ui FWs, Stealth Suits, Sky Rays, Sniper controllers, and drones. In each is a really interesting tradeoff- do you go for the security of stealth, or the frugality of pathfinders... Do you take a Sky Ray?

There's a big decision in HOW you take your markerlights. I personally prefer pathfinders and Sky Rays, in that order (the sky ray and a stealth suit w/targeting array are the only ways to get markerlights to hit on 3s).

Generally, markerlights only hit on 4s... The standard deviation there is broad enough, in a six-turn game, to give you reason to ask is it really worth it. Usually it is, but I've had my share of games where markerlights simply didn't hit enough... They're not easy to use, say, the way pulse weaponry is.

Hands down, my favorite unit in our list is the Fire Warrior, though. I tend to take 30 in a mechanized list. They're too versatile as shooters to leave them at home. The S5 gun is the envy of every list in the game, for 10 points, with a 4+ save... Sweet!

I love FWs... If you have decent luck with Markerlights, you're going to make someone very unhappy.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 22 Jul 2006, 02:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
A static or all infantry army is certainly an option now, it was before but with the new codex has gotten better. It is possible to get an all infantry force that still can have enough mobility to stay strong. Tons of Firewarriors, broadsides, sniper drones, stealth suits, crisis suits, kroot, vespid, gue'vesa the options are there, plenty of them.

Also even a Librarian using fear of darkness or whatever its called would have trouble making a serious dent in a full infantry army. He might run a few units off the board but there will be others if done right and with an Etherial placed right you might even stand firm.
i think a solid counter for fear of darkness would be the command and control node combined with an ethereal in the center of your firing line

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Closed Thread