Shas'O

Default Radiation in the streets - Some questions on Vespid and CoD

Really quick question about vespid.

Has anyone used them in CoD?

If so:

Did they do well?

What squad size(s) are optimal?

Did you give them markerlight support?

Did the Power generator strategem help them?

Did the Ammo store strategem help them?

How much more surivable were they with 4+ cover saves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Radiation in the streets - Some questions on Vespid and CoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Has anyone used them in CoD?
I have never used Vespids in cities of death, but I plan on taking some for a test run quite soon.

Quote:
Did they do well?
When you look at it from a tactical point of view Vespids should do great in cities of death. They have the skilled flyers special rule so difficult terrain is not a very big issue, and to counter their bad armour saves they can get behind nice pieces of cover with their speed very easily, (in most CoD matches you have large pieces of terrain scattered all around), and take shots, or just look for new places to fly to.

Quote:
What squad size(s) are optimal?
A full squad is a bit expensive, so you might just go with the medium, (6-7 Vespids).

Quote:
Did you give them markerlight support?
Attaching markerlights to units your Vespids are aiming for is a great idea, just don't let any other squad use them. The Vespids will take a while to get to their target and get into range to fire so the markerlights will be sitting without use for awhile, but once the Vespids get to the markerlighted units it should really help. Even with a lot of terrain giving them cover saves they are still in for a tough shooting phase as their weapons are short ranged and not rapid fire, (so by the time they get within shooting range most troops will get 2x more shots to fire at them), and most street terrain does not offer more then a 5+ cover save, (it is better then the cancelled save they get against most weapons in the game, but it is still not too good). In the end the +1 BS should really aid your Vespids, (or the +2 if you stacked markerlights).

Quote:
Did the Power generator strategem help them?
Did the Ammo store strategem help them?
I do not yet have the cities of death codex so I cannot tell what these items do to effect the battle. I should have the book soon, though.

Quote:
How much more surivable were they with 4+ cover saves?
If they would normally get their armour saves: +16.6%
If they would not normally get their armour saves: +50%

Seeing as most weapons pierce their armour save I would lean more towards the 50%.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

On an auxillery side-note, Kroot are much more survivable in CoD now.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 12:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross

Vespids are freaking AMAZING in city fight, I have used them in EVERY city fight game i have played in since ive seen the light (so to speak) and i ALWAYS include them. They are SUPER fast and in Omega level games you can dance them from rooftop to rooftop. They server their primary job of finishing off marine squads VERY well. Now you DO have to still be careful with them and anticipate what your enemy is doing but i tell ya, move 12+fleet in city fight = awsome.

If i could change at least one thing about them, i would give them twinlinked heavyflamers. They would ignore cover and you could use them like a super sneaky almost stealth unit.... but thats here nor there because you can't

Give them a try, out of my last 9 games a unit of 6 has only died once... and that was my fault for not knowing that my enemy had a model that charged "12 :-[
Old 22 Jul 2006, 11:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I plan to get a squad, they look awesome one you have overcome the learning curve

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 22 Jul 2006, 13:49   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I got some because I love the Tau auxiliaries. Its one of the things that will keep my enticed by tau, I have issues painting the same thing over and over and I quickly jump armies. I find once you own the models for them, you grow to like them, bending the wings back makes them much more three-dimensional and gives them a sense of motion. I actually bent the knees after seperating the legs on that fat slotta bar and mounted each on a piece of cork which i've painted as battlefield rubble. Makes a very convincing 'skilled flyer'

From a tactical point of view I think they'd do great in CoD, depending on how much terrain is available, since I don't actually know what determines that.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The usually effective squad sizes are 9-6. If you really like them and want 11 then go for 10 Vespids and I Strainleader for a grand total of 198. for 9 then it's 150. That is what I use because it has the numbers to take out most of a SM squad and #=the abilities to take a few causalties and still fight.

Closed Thread