Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadsides for mechanized armies....
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Broadsides for mechanized armies....

we all know broadsides have their pros and cons but in an mechanized army the biggest problem is lack of mobility.

BUT wouldnt that be quickly fixed if we choose for a support system the advance stabilisation system? though not as mobile as their XV8 counterpart AT least they can move now....

what ya guys think?
Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Broadsides for mechanized armies....

Yes, this setup became quite popular just after the new codex was released as it gave the broadside a way to move after shooting its railguns.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, it is still going to be a Hybrid army, even with Stabilizers. More in the tactical sense than everything else. Remember that a "formal" Mech Tau list does not include any units that are not capable of moving 12" per turn (except Kroot in some cases).

But yeah, I use Broadsides from time to time even in an army with all mounted Fire Warrior teams. I tended to see a lot of vehicles where I played until recently, and the Hammerheads couldn't always handle it. That said, Broadsides in a mostly-mobile force still need some back up in the form of a Fire Warrior team or Kroot Kindred in order to keep them from getting tied up by deep-strikers or infiltrators.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 20:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

One word - Hybrid.
Adding Broadsides makes the army no Mech Tau army, thus this whole question is unnecessary

But, bad jokes aside, I have a few arguments against this strategy:

Sure, adding an advance stabilisation system MAKES the Broadsides mobile - 2d6 (pick highest)" per turn mobile.
Which isn`t mobile at all!

Point A:
40K is a game defined by randomness, and the only phase relatively free of it is the movement phase. Movement is essential in a Mech Tau army, my troops should be WHERE I want them WHEN I want them. At least for me, randomness has no place in this approach (thats one of the reasons my Commander never wears Iridium armor).
I don`t want my necessary anti-tank firepower being ineffective because it screwed up a dice roll in the movement phase - hitting and penetrating armor is already difficult and random enough.

Point B:
2d6(pick highest)" isn`t mobile at all!
The good thing about MEch Tau is that you can outrun most close combat armies or at least evade them long enough to destroy their fast moving assets - and even IF push comes to shove, you can use your Skimmers to shield the infantry (incluing Crisis). But if you start to include Broadsides, you have to make a fundamental decision: Do I stay near the BS, protecting them with my Skimmers, which would deny the most useful protection Mech Tau has (Speed - most Skimmers probably would never move more than 6" - which is BAAAD!) - turning Devilfishs and Hammerhads into nothing more than glorified Bunkers, and awaitng a deathblow by a winged Hive Tyrant or the like which takes the "romantic tour" through a forest?
Or do I move, and let the BS alone - as expandable assets (which really is against Tau fluff - although of course, you COULD use them as bait for a Kauyon, but this will - most likely - only work a few times).

I don`t know, I can only speak for myself, but neither option sounds appealing to me.

Mech Tau has Anti-armour firepower in the Skyray, the Railhead, and the Piranhas (last, but not least).
Not to forget mobile infantry with EMP-grenades... >
Old 20 Jul 2006, 20:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

This is an interesting question and one I'm going to be experimenting with soon. (Just as soon as I get my damn XV88-2's assembled and painted ).

I'm probably going to be running a "Hybrid army"

Everything will be mounted except for the Broadsides, 2 kroot units, and 1 pathfinder unit which will be on the ground, while their warfish roams on its ownsome.

It won't be a super resileint firebase but I think it should be enough. The broadsides + cover + sheild drones and the obligatory ASS are pretty difficult to deal with by shooting them. This means the opponent will have to try to kill them up close.

This is where Kroot/vespid and all sorts of fun things become really useful.

Esentially it sets up an awesome Kauyon, much as Bonesaw suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm one of those "technically hybrid" mech tau players because I consitently include the 210-point special broadside unit in my list, where everything else is mechanized.

210 point broadsides are as follows:
2xXV88 w/plasma rifles, multitrackers
Team Lead w/HW drone controller, 2 shield drones, bonding knife, HW target lock

It's such an ifficient use of railguns I swear by it over Railheads. Anyhow, I'm not a fan of the stabilization system for the reasons outlined previously, and because it takes a hard point. Plus it's not that cheap. Really, I've found that plasma rifles provide the same basic functionality (shooting on the move) for the same cost. Think about the number of times where you need to both move and shoot railguns... It's not that often, and quite often, simply shooting an AP2 gun is good enough. As a tradeoff, without the stab sys, you can put multi-trackers on (conversely, I often find myself only shooting railguns, not plasma, because of range considerations, nevertheless you can't beat S6 AP2 in your average game).

THe biggest drawback to this static element is in Escalation, which will really mess you up. Pathfinders and kroot do help, however, with this liability.

Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 21 Jul 2006, 04:52   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Dornigdrache Send a message via Yahoo to Dornigdrache

I have a 2000 point mech army, aside from, one, yes, that is one lone broadside in the back. His 2d6 mobility is just enough to get him the shots he needs, aside from that, he stays in the back. My opponents never find him to be that much of a threat and therefore rarly attack him, But in between him, two railheads, and a lone fusion pirhanha, i have all the tankbusting power i normally need. It dosn't keep your army at a mech status I guess, but it can be quite an improvement on a mech army........
Old 21 Jul 2006, 05:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

well the A.S.S sounds great it really isn't i've tried it in 4 games with no real effectiveness nor do i gain an advantage as oppossed to a static broadside. if a enemy tank is too scared to come out and play because of a broadside or 2 then in reallity its destroyed because its never really going to get a shot out for fear of being destroyed. and yes i have made 2 leman russ tanks hide in fear of being blown to kingdom come which meant they never got a shot off.

Old 21 Jul 2006, 06:38   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriel
well the A.S.S sounds great it really isn't i've tried it in 4 games with no real effectiveness nor do i gain an advantage as oppossed to a static broadside. if a enemy tank is too scared to come out and play because of a broadside or 2 then in reallity its destroyed because its never really going to get a shot out for fear of being destroyed. and yes i have made 2 leman russ tanks hide in fear of being blown to kingdom come which meant they never got a shot off.
how could they nvr get a shot off if they have ordinance weapons? im pretty sure they dont need line of sight do they? (i dont have the rulebook handy so correct me if im wrong )
Old 21 Jul 2006, 12:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

I don't think so. I think its only guess range and seekers that dont need line of sight.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Closed Thread