Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Calling all hybrid Tau players!
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jul 2006, 07:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Calling all hybrid Tau players!

Hi,

If you missed it, I was the guy who whined sometime ago about how playing Tau was kinda boring if you weren't mechanized. The other day I finally took out some time and updated my army list with the Tau Empire codex (not a frequent player), and I found that I actually had 1500pts worth of models (without heavy kitting)! Here's where I stand:

1 commander (XV81 from forgeworld, I'm bragging every chance I get, bite me)
1 ethereal

2 full squads of fire warriors (soon getting a third, might make the third honor guard)
12 kroot

5 crisis suits (3 is in a fireknife unit, the fourth one is a TL fusion monat, fifth one I just got and haven't decided his functions yet)
5 stealthsuits

4 pathfinders with 'fish
a buttload of drones

1 railhead
1 broadside (they're expensive! )

And after kitting it comes out to around 1500 pts. Suggestions for modifications? Going pure-mech or pure-static is obviously out of the question, but what else would work well in a hybrid army like this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 18 Jul 2006, 08:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Calling all hybrid Tau players!

I'd do somthing... anything to get the pathfinders to full unit size. you're paying for all that transport cap.... that you can only get a path finder unit of 8 is already bad enough.... not to fill it to 8 is tragic.... take some FWs and stand them in for PFs.... "up" one to leader, and give him two drones to increase survivability from return fire

but unless you buy stuff, or reduce ur points lvl... you're sort of stuck with using everything :P
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If devilfish were not Dedicated transports then the pathfinder-devilfish regulation would be far more reasonable. As it is, with pathfinders being a stationary unit and all, you just have 80 points of transport floating in the Aether.

In response to you dilemma just use evrything, play a few 1.5k games with what you have, find what you like and what you need, then make a 1000 point army with whatever you find works best for you.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 18 Jul 2006, 09:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Drodgers gots it right.

But I would also try to fill ure pathfinders.

If you want a small squad I hear 6 is the magic number ( thats my squad 2 )
and a heavy duty squad is 8

Maybe add another stealthsquad as you go.

But for now this list seems fun to play and might even have a chance Looks solid to me
Old 18 Jul 2006, 10:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi,

I don't know what the XV81 is armed with but the list looks good.

After the 3rd unit of fire warriors I'd fill the 3rd heavy support choice. You only have 2 railguns so another broadside would be good, However I like the Ion Cannon ( a cheap hammerhead with one is only 130 pts), and with 3 missile pods on the crisis suits and the twin-fusion you could be ok, especially if you make the new crisis a twin missile suit with targeting array.

The broadside(s) must have protection. Convert a few of the gun drones into shield drones and give monats the team leader upgrade, advabced stabilisation system, plasms rifle, hard wired drone controller with 2 shield drones & hard wired multi-tracker. It's expensive at 125 pts, but is survivable with the shield drones, can score (because on average it will move 27 inches a game), plus it can help against heavy infrantry once vehciles have been dealt with.

If you need to lose pts to fill up the heavy support I'd suggest losing gun drones. Also I'd advise increasing the pathfinders to atleast 6 and giving them a shas'ui or they'll just die too quickly.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 19 Jul 2006, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Get at least two more Pathfinders and as Rathstar said makee him a team leader.

More Fire Warriors are always good, but Kroot are a good choice as well.

As for the Broadside I prefer to use a shield generator on a monat team. If you get shield drones then your going to have to make leadership test for casualities and a all on your own test as well when the secound drone bits it. Besides with a Hammerhead running around your opponets are likely to ignore your Broadside until the Hammerhead is dealt with.

I plan on getting a XV-81 to convert into a Crisis Suit armed with a Air Bursting Frag Launcher . I love the FW Suits as well and use a XV-89 for my Shas'O.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 19 Jul 2006, 15:28   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Dornigdrache Send a message via Yahoo to Dornigdrache

You might want to mount one of your firewarrior squads in a transport. Without much mobile fire support, pathfinders are not worth the points most of the time. I have lost the pathfinders early too many a time.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 15:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

pathfinders..... they're only really useful in games of 2k+ (imho)

Old 20 Jul 2006, 03:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi all,

Friends will be getting me two sniper squads (160pts of anti-marine zomg ). I'm actually considering retiring my pathfinders and just handing markerlights to Shas'uis in my fire warrior squads. That way I also have a free devilfish to stick to a FW squad for FoFing.

Should I pick up anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 20 Jul 2006, 03:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Keep in mind that this is the input of a Thousand Sons player, but with the opponent fielding an army like that, the things that would pester me the most are:

If you upgrade your Devilfish to a Warfish with SMS (itís a simple conversion that really improves its usefulness). Hide it behind terrain and kill off infantry and as a mobile annoyance factor.

Upgrade your Pathfinders to a unit of 6 with two shield drones and then keep them in the back (the marker light has a 36" range, use it). The effects of marker lights under the new codex just can't be beat. Drop the leadership of an assault squad by 3 (the standard number of hits for a squad of 6) and then you can pin or break them easily. (If they can't move, or have to recover the distance lost due to breaking, then you have an extra turn or more before they hit you.)

Since you're getting Sniper Drones for your heavy support, I'd look at getting a small (minimum size) unit of Vespid for last minute table quarter steals/contesting and for finishing off small squads (1-2 marines) that have been beaten down by the rest of your army.

Additional Fire Warriors depend on what you normally face. Against Marines, they don't often make back their points, but against hordes (orcs/Nids/Sisters and such) they really come into their own. Just remember to kill anything that MIGHT be able to assault them as fast as you can. Once I've got them tied up, they're useless to you.

Finally, if you look at getting any more vehicles, make sure to read the hobby section of the board because you can buy a Skyray and you'll be able to build a model that can be either a Skyray, Hammerhead (of any type) or Devilfish from that one kit! (A real value in my humble opinion.)
Closed Thread