Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some Tau tactics that work well for me.
Closed Thread
Old 17 Jul 2006, 05:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Some Tau tactics that work well for me.

lets go unit by unit, starting with troops folks!

Fire Warriors

Me, i usually feild three squads. Armed with pulse rifles, bonding knives, marker lights and a target lock. This lets the commander fire independantly of the squad with a single marker light. These almost never move, unless the enemy is moving troops with the intent of assaulting. Remember, when you move, their range is 15 inches, double tap range is 12. 24 doubletaps can reduce an assault squad to almost nothing, with some support, you will be well defended!

Kroot.
Have at least one squad of these, full if possible (20 kroot, 12 hounds, 3 krootox) but try not to feild them too often, and even so, don't charge them foreward! let the enemy come to you, and use them to slow the enemy advance. Don't forget the rapid fire weapons, and the mighty kroot gun!

Devilfish:I Never use these as troop choices unless you want an armored company. you will find out why when i get to fast attack!

Heavy Support.

Broadsides. Have three MINIMUM! i reccomend Six broadsides (two teams of three) Don't bother with target locks, get sheild generators. Drones are a pain to come by unless you preferr to custom them (which i don't). with marker lights, you don't need targeting arrays. With twin linked, the need reduces even further.
Honestly, i never use the SMS's and Plasmas, though i have one in each squad, why not? no point in multitrackers.

Sniper Drones. ABSOLUTELY NESSICARY against space marines, chaos, eldar, and necrons. nine rifles that can hit on 3's(with the spotters markerlight) that AP marines, necron warriors and destroyers.. well you get the idea. with a great range and stealth feild, you can really dent ranks. Trust me, they are worth it. Of course, being a drone with metal bits makes it impossible to assemble.. but anyway, get accelerator for the superglue, and use em!

Hammerhead. I was never impressed by this tank.. i have used both ion cannons and rail guns... it is, so to speak, an OK vessle. Its strength is its range, but the standard equipment is inefficient at killing many models unlike other armor in the game. SMS's are basically four shots from fire warriors... Burst cannons are burst cannons... Best reccomendation, use it against the armies with squishy bits. Guard, Orcs, Eldar, Nids. If you can fit it in, be sure to use the Ion cannon against marine armies with few vehicles. Always pay for the seekers! you will find out later in fast attack.

Sky Ray. I have not used this yet, i just ordered one! But from what i have heard, it can cause nightmares in big games (more then one table) I will update on this later!

Elites

Crisis Suits. This is the true strength of the army. This is where the flexibility of the tau army lays. Burst cannons, flamers, fusion blasters, missile pods, and the delicious plasma. They can deep strike, they have acute senses. Specialize these into teams, specifically: Anti-personelle (two flamers on one suit with multi tracker, two burst cannons on one suit with multi tracker, Burst cannon and plasma rifle on squad leader with built in multi tracker, target lock, and a targeting array). Anti-Armor (Two suits with two independant fusion blasters, one with two independant plasma rifles) and Plasma (Three plasma rifle toting suits, commander has iridium armor and a targetting array, reccomend replacing with forgeworld XV-89)

I am also designing a missile team, when they are made i will update

Stealth team. Infiltration is so sweet with the stealth suits. have the commander holding a fusion blaster and a marker light. one of them needs a targteting array so the squad hits on threes. fifteen shots is always good!

HQ.

I don't ever use ethereals.

I use either Shadowsun or Shas'o R'myr, and soon, Farsight. Shadowsun is a tank hunter and is vicious connected to a stealth team. Shas'o R'Myr has an assault 2 plasma rifle and flachette dischargers. How can you go wrong?

The bodyguards are the place to put the special weapons (Cyclic ion, Airburster).
don't worry about the bs of 3, markerlights solve that!

Fast attack.

Vespids. Vespids are the dedicated marine hunters, but to make them truely effective you need a strain leader with a communion helm. Marker lights are VITAL. Don't bother with using fleet unless your hopping up to super-high terrain. don't assault, inititive five is nice, but their strength and attacks are low. they are great for mopping up after assaults.

Pathfinder teams.
These are ABSOLUTELY VITAL! i have two squads, ten pathfinders with carbines, six with rail rifles. Eight in each squad. Move them ONCE, and never move them again. remember they require a devilfish, so use the scout movement to move the pathfinders just in front of your beginning lines, deploy, then detach the fish from the squad to harass the enemy front lines and block pathways. Use them solely every turn for marker lights. these are what transforms the tau army from a mediocre army into a hugely successful and powerful army. It can make firewarriors, vespids, heck, any tau unit hit on 2+. Not kroot! remember that!

Piranha
Haven't used these yet, but being able to use 15 on the board would make a deadly addition to an armored company!

Old 17 Jul 2006, 05:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Some tau tactics that work well for me

Sounds like some sound tactics but the mech forces and Fireknife armies will be up in arms over hearing that you hate tanks it seems. no DF or HH. I like you set up for the army. In one game I used the FW as a long ranged sniper unit and they did pretty good.

Old 17 Jul 2006, 06:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Viorlakaisshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogalmighty

Elites

Anti-personelle (two flamers on one suit with multi tracker, two burst cannons on one suit with multi tracker, Burst cannon and plasma rifle on squad leader with built in multi tracker, target lock, and a targeting array). Anti-Armor (Two suits with two independant fusion blasters, one with two independant plasma rifles)
I am pretty sure you can't have two of the same weapon on a suit and not have them count as twin-linked.

P.S. How can you not like the hammerhead? I love my hammerhead, mostly because my regular opponent is scared to death of it. ;D

Credit for my sig goes to The Immortal Black Mage

Old 17 Jul 2006, 07:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogalmighty
Devilfish:I Never use these as troop choices unless you want an armored company. you will find out why when i get to fast attack!
From the way you wrote that it seems that you think a Devilfish takes up a troop slot on the FoC. It does not. Its a dedicated transport bought for a unit.

Also as pointed out your suite configs seem to indicate that your putting 2 of the same weapon on a suite without twin linking it and even 3 of the same on a suite without twin linking. This is not legal. You cannot put two of the same weapon on a suite without them being twin linked and you also cannot put 3 of the same weapon on a suite even if 2 of them are twin linked. For reference sake Ill give the info from the codex:

Page 25 in the battlesuit armoury section: "Where a weapon system is given two points values, the first is the price for the normal, single-mounted version, and the second is for two weapons (counting as a twin-linked weapon of that type). A single mounted weapon counts as a single battlesuit weapon system, and a twin-linked weapon counts as two. No model may carry three of the same weapons system."

I applaud the effort but there seem to be more than a couple mistakes in some of your basics and thats just from a brief perusal. I dont mean to be harsh its good to see the effort put forth but I think you could use some more experience with the game and the army before you start posting tactics.

I suggest you read up on previously written tacticas. I think if you knew how to use Tau vehicles you would learn to love them, the Hammerhead is one of the best armored vehicles in the game. Its strength is not really range either. The Hammerhead is good for several reasons, its mobility and versatility and lastly its survivability. It is a tank that can be kitted to do quite a few different jobs, has the armor and speed to protect itself well and the mobility to bring its heavy weaponry to bear where it needs to be, unlike broadsides who are almost stuck to where they were deployed. See a skimmer that moves more than 6" gets the "skimmer moving fast" protection which downgrades all penetrating hits to glancing hits... ok there is a small loophole here for ruleslawyers but someone else can explain that later and its generally overlooked as GamesWorkshops rather terrible wording. In any case this protection means improved survivability over standard tanks. The Multi Tracker lets our vehicles shoot as though they were fast. Now a normal vehicle really cant fire if moving more than 6" but a fast vehicle can shoot one main weapon (str 7 and up) and all defencive weapons (str 6 and below) and since with whatever weapon combo you use you only have one main weapon and one or two defencive weapons this means our vehicles when given the MT can move their full distance and still fire all their weapons. Thats an immense strength, we do not diminish our fire output to move or diminish our movement to fire but can maximize both.

Thats just a short bit on the virtue of the Hammerhead and Tau vehicles in general. In any case I sadly lack the time to fully review your work but I do suggest you take some time to read other tacticas and learn from the forums. That will help correct the mistakes.

Now all that said dont take this personally, I encourage you to learn what you can on these forums, they are here to help all players. We were all new once, I made far worse mistakes myself when I first started the game. You will learn just give it some time. See ya around the boards.

Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Have you tried using the FW with FoF, it can really piss people off.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Stealth team. Infiltration is so sweet with the stealth suits. have the commander holding a fusion blaster and a marker light. one of them needs a targteting array so the squad hits on threes. fifteen shots is always good!
What do you mean with the Stealth suits... One of them needs a targeting array so the team hits on 3+...
From what I know, the targeting array only works for the user and not the team. Just like the other support systems.
Also, you pretty much kill the Stealths sweet tactic and survival by using a marker light. You cant jump back if you use heavy weapons.

Othervice I like that you use no tanks in your armies. There are to many people who relay on their hammer heads.
A Tau army works fine without one.

Yours Truly

Vash

It's just a game... have fun!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 10:41   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hm....

I believe that you got the shhoting for te pulse rifle wrongly. Check the new rules, and you will notice that once the unit moved the range will still be 12" for their guns. That means the pulse rifle will also have the range of 12" even though the full range of the gun is 30".

But as for the vehicles, Vash 113 is right. The Hammerhead is a force to contend with. It is brutal for what it's worth and will really make the point expenditure totally worth it, maybe 2-3 times more too.

As for the pirahna, take three of them each armed with fusion blaster,decoy launcher, targetting array, and target lock and the have to be alone. 15 is overkill actually. Used them for a games last week and within 2 turns, 2 sentinels, 1 leman russ, 1 hellhound, 1 chaos rhinos, and 3 obliterators are dead. Very brutall in a tag team 1000 point game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 17:47   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Some Tau tactics that work well for me.

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you are favoring the static side of the Tau list. Nothing wrong with that, but as others have noted, there are definitely a few rules questions that you need to clear up.

to recap:

Suits may not wield two of the same weapon unless twin-linked.

Devilfish are not FOC picks on their own.

All rapid-fire weapons fire at 12" when they move, including the Pulse Rifle.

The targetting array only effects a model carrying it. For the squad to get the bonus, they all have to take it.

The old 3rd edition shooting rules are also gone. You can always fire twice at 12", regardless of whether or not you moved.
Closed Thread