Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Escalation Clarifications needed... unit types and firing
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jul 2006, 05:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Escalation Clarifications needed... unit types and firing

Greetings

When using the Escalation rules (ie, Omega-level missions), I have a few unresolved questions about a few of my Heavy Support choices.

Sniper Drone Teams: Do these count as "normal infantry without a dedicated transport", and thus start the game on the board, or do they count as "Artillery" and roll for Reserves as normal on 2nd and subsequent turns?

My concern is that since all of the weapons are Heavy1, I won't be able to fire anything til the turn AFTER they show up... :-[

Broadside Battlesuit Teams: Same question for deployment, although I might find it more reasonable to consider these "Artillery" ;D. Thus, under Escalation, should I spend the extra points on the Advanced Stabilization System for the Slow and Purposeful rule so i can fire on the turn they arrive?

(My confusion here is that the Reserves rule does not specifically state that units moving onto the board count as having moved, I might just be making an assumption based on my WHF battleswhere I chased an opponent's unit off the board and returned on my next turn, counting as having moved.)

Thanks for your time,
Todd
Old 16 Jul 2006, 07:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Escalation Clarifications needed... unit types and firing

Both units start on the board in escalation.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

At the back of the rulebook, there's a little table that says what 'class' each unit is in each army.

Broadsides are listed as Infantry.

Also, if you look at the "Unit Type:" line in the codex entry for each unit, you'll notice that it says "Infantry" also.

And so if you haven't guessed already, both units (Broadsides and Sniper Drone Teams) are classed as Infantry, and thus start an Escalation game on the table. "Artillery" is a very special and rare group... that isn't necessarily assigned to any unit with heavy weapons etc.

[hr]

To my knowledge, when a unit arrives from reserve, they only 'Enter' the table from the table edge. They're placed there, and are free to move afterwards. But that's just my interpretation, and how I've played it since I began 40k :S
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The unit moves onto the board, using their movement, so for most models, they can move a maximum of 6 inches onto the board. Whether the model is placed on the edge, or goes its full movement, it counts as moving.

OTZONE - A more wretched hive of scum and villany
Old 17 Jul 2006, 02:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks, i think these answers cleared things up very well. I guess I'll let the railgun technology bring the pain then. ;D