Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marines.... Wow! Just look at them!
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jul 2006, 00:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Space Marines.... Wow! Just look at them!

i recently borrowed a few 40k things from a friend whos going outta town for a bit, and one of them was the space marine codex apon reading it i was baffled how powerful things juggernants are. it seems really you cant go wrong anywhere with them! they seem so powerful that i briefly considered to switch armies....

but then i caught myself, cursed my weak mind, had my brother whip me a few times (he was all like "wtf mate") and prayed to the etherals for forgiveness....

how they can be so powerful, or allowed to bel? better yet how does a tau player hope to defeat such powerhouses? i hope this is the only army like this.....
Old 15 Jul 2006, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: SPACE MARINES.... wow just look at them

Quote:
Originally Posted by p12om3th3us
i recently borrowed a few 40k things from a friend who's going outta town for a bit, and one of them was the space marine codex upon reading it i was baffled how powerful things juggernauts are. it seems really you cant go wrong anywhere with them! they seem so powerful that i briefly considered to switch armies....

but then i caught myself, cursed my weak mind, had my brother whip me a few times (he was all like "wtf mate") and prayed to the ethereal for forgiveness....

how they can be so powerful, or allowed to be? better yet how does a tau player hope to defeat such powerhouses? i hope this is the only army like this.....
You mean rules or fluff?

Rules wise they may be powerful but they lack specialized units. Their weakness.

Fluff wise they have 19 implants. They are the ultimate fighting warriors.

How do you defeat them? With something called tactics :...

(p.s. I cleaned up your post a bit in my quote, please try to be neater, there is no rush)
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 15 Jul 2006, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Space Marines and Chaos base their armies on just a few elite toops. Their soldiers may all be tanks but there are far less of them than in other armys. One of my friends plays chaos and his 2000 point army has only one vehicle and 45 other models.

If you are looking to beat MEqs then take plasma rifles, fusion blasters, rail rifles and Ion cannons, these really make a mess of Space Marine squads.

other than that just take a look around this board, loots of people are looking for and finding great ways to deal with MEqs.

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 15 Jul 2006, 00:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, a space marine is more expensive than a Fire Warrior.
A fire warrior is better equiped for his points. S5 weapon with good range on the rifle. The Carbine has a nice pinning effect added and is assault.

All the Tau vehicles are Skimmers, Space marines dont have as many skimmers.

Tau has S10 weapons, Space marines dont.

Tau has in general longer range on their weapons.

Tau has jet packs on their elite units, Space Marines dont.

Space Marine army count on 1750 (swedish point standard) is around 50-60, tau can with ease boost up over 100.

I have so far not encountered a problem with Space Marines. Sure I have draws against them, but I have more wins than draws. So far no loss, but I will probably get some in the future.

Stop Whining and start playing what you think is cool. Dont play "the best army" just to win. There is no prestige in winning with something thats unbeatable.
Win with something thats not as good feels better.

Yours Truly

Vash

It's just a game... have fun!
Old 15 Jul 2006, 00:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.

You mean a Dread-not?

AV12 is killable by missal pods...not very easily, but get a good glance/pen, and they die like any other vehicle.

The Railgun[sup](TM)[/sup]: May cause localised crater formation

Use EMP grenade-equiped Gue'vesa, if you want to. At max, it [the dread-not] can only kill 4 in close combat. [I think (venerable dread, charing, 2 dn ccws...)] But tying it up in clsoe-combat may be a good thing if you can use those EMP grendes to kill it. Butter that then haveing fire warriors shot at by a flamer and assult cannon :-X
Good luck!
-SqurielLord.
++++
uh, sorry, mis-interped your post.
Quote:
how powerful things juggernants are.
juggernats=dreadnauts i thought.

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 15 Jul 2006, 01:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

A lot of people ask this question. Here's where I asked it when I was new to this board: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9165.0 (The thread is very old, feel free to read it but don't respond as it would be thread necromancy.)

Basically marines do have a weakness - they can do everything. They CANNOT do it all at once, and yet they still have to pay for most of their capabilities. I think they are still undercosted for what they can do... just the body with t4 and 3+ save are valuable. They can also specialize squads to make up for these deficiencies...

Generally you just gotta prioritize your targets. Assault marines and bikes should die, transports should die, vulnerable heavy weapons should die (a lascannon or 2 in a 10 man squad is not vulnerable.) Basically, remove their mobility and outmaneuver them, or remove their big guns and then outgun them. The former is usually easier.

Also the sniper drones and vespid can provide interesting support, particularly the sniper drones.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 01:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Realy?! I couldv'e sworn I had that Demolisher Cannon just a second ago... :

In fluff, a squad of Space Marines can force entire enemy armies to retreat, survive anti-tank weaponry, and punch you so hard that his fist comes out of the back of the guy standing behind you - the Tau countered Space Marines in the Damocles Gulf Crusade with Crisis Battlesuits, relying on superior mobility.

In game terms, MEq armies are the trype of foe that Tau are not geared to beat as well as some opponents - they don't mass squad-level AP2/3 weapons for low costs, and their vehicles tend to be light enough that Railgun shells almost go to waste. However, the Tau sport superior mobility and are expected to outgun Marines in the shooting phase.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 01:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:
Realy?!* I couldv'e sworn I had that Demolisher Cannon just a second ago...* :

In fluff, a squad of Space Marines can force entire enemy armies to retreat, survive anti-tank weaponry, and punch you so hard that his fist comes out of the back of the guy standing behind you - the Tau countered Space Marines in the Damocles Gulf Crusade with Crisis Battlesuits, relying on superior mobility.

In game terms, MEq armies are the trype of foe that Tau are not geared to beat as well as some opponents - they don't mass squad-level AP2/3 weapons for low costs, and their vehicles tend to be light enough that Railgun shells almost go to waste.* However, the Tau sport superior mobility and are expected to outgun Marines in the shooting phase.
Shhh don't let any of those damndable Dark Angel players hear you say that.

"Hope" is not a strategy.
Old 15 Jul 2006, 02:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Err, I should have added Tau got S10 weapons in quiantity. Space Marines can have 3, while Tau can have alot more
And the fact that the range is better on the Broadside/Hammer head, and more "reliable" than the Space marine Demolisher Cannon. Its not so often we see these Space Marine tanks, sadly enough... cool things.

Yours Truly

Vash

It's just a game... have fun!
Old 15 Jul 2006, 02:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

very true indeed... they can be quite costly for just a single souped up squad. tau are alot more diversed yet specialized.... i still feel the regret of the thought of defection *shudders then whips*

.and what's fluff? is that the "story" that goes along with it? last thing someone said my english isnt that good, well actually i concer, my secound language, im Cuban ;D

appreciate the opinions!

Closed Thread