Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Couple of Noob questions....
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jul 2006, 04:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Couple of Noob questions....

greetings! i got some pretty easily/opinionated questions for my fellow tau bretherns, because i am unable myself to decifer mostly due to my lack of 40k experiance. anything you guys will bestow apon this one would greatly aid me in finishing my army list so i may have a tau force already!

so in a standard full fire warrior squad would it be better to have a marker drone for the squad minus one shas'la or just have a full force and the shas'ui have simply a markerlight? i guess my question is indirect, network mark vs. just a markerlight? the plus and minus of each?

also i been reading up alot on the site and i noticed in the tau section the author really advocates the idea of decoy launchers but wouldnt disruptor pods be much idea if one does not wish for hes vechile to not be hit? im probably overlooking an important detail here... or just fail to see something...

and i believe i just noticed a typo in the codex, last page army showcase on the top right, the skyray is worth 125 points with a smart missile system, but isnt 125 the base point of the vechicle? secondary systems are choosen and added on? lol if so how embaressing for GW....

thanks again, much appreciated
Old 14 Jul 2006, 05:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Couple of Noob questions....

OK...1: just give the 'ui a markerlight. The reason is, IMO, the marker drones are WAY too expensive. If you have the points and don't wish to spend them anywhere else then I guess you could add a marker drone to the squad, but the upgrade on the 'ui is a better deal.

2: the disruption pod only works if you have been hit. it doesn't help you with not being hit. The Decoy Launchers help when you are given an immobilized result, so you can reroll it (I believe it's after you move 12+ inches and get an immobilized result, your skimmer is destroyed, might be less, or not even apply, if it's wrong, feel free to correct me)

3: the secondary weapon system is NOT included in the price of the vehicle

hope this helps.

-Nuke

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 14 Jul 2006, 06:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for the advice!

i guess i just fail to see the benefit of a network markerlight over a reg one... i mean as you point out its alot of points.... but really whats the use of a network marker?

and i keep reading the disruption pod entry, and... ill just write it down strait from the codex

"a disruption pod throws out distorting images in both visual and magnetic spectra, making it hard to hit at range. Weapons firing at the vehicle from ore than 12" distant count the vehicle as an obscurred target"

doesnt say anything about being hit, and i know nothing of the basic knowledge of 40k... all i have is a tau codex and the small learnings my friends taught me, so everything is all new to me and somewhat difficult to decifer, so i just consider myself not really knowing what i am talking about, not trying to correct you but from what i gather the book differs

Old 14 Jul 2006, 10:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Well.. networked markerlight does mean you can use the marker token yourself, rather than having another unit use it.

For Tau Tanks - you're generally moving over 6" every single turn (if you're not, you should be! - take multitrackers) - and so you can only be glanced anyway. Which is where the Decoy Launchers come in - seeing as you can only be glanced, it reduces the chances of being immobilized. As for Disruption Pods - if you look at the rule for Obscured Target - you'll realise it's rather redundant (it's already glances only!), aside possibly coming into use if you don't get first turn, and have your tanks out in the open.

Note: you'll need access to a rulebook too to properly learn everything.

And yes, they made a mistake at the end of the codex, they didn't include the cost of the secondary system. They made a few more mistakes on that page too with the battlesuits...
Old 14 Jul 2006, 10:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
(I believe it's after you move 12+ inches and get an immobilized result, your skimmer is destroyed, might be less, or not even apply, if it's wrong, feel free to correct me)
-Nuke
It is 6+ inches, the same as for your penetrating hit protection. this means the decoy launchers are pretty essential.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 14 Jul 2006, 15:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

Basically when you get to count as skimmers going fast, you also comply with the immobilisation negativity.

Plus a networked markerlight means that unit firing the markerlight can use it for themselves, while if it was just an ordinary markerlight, you wouldnt be able to.

So if you want the markerlight in the unit to say fire dem missles off of dem tanks use a normal markerlight, if you want it to help benefit the firewarrior team, use da networked markerlight, comprende?

Old 14 Jul 2006, 20:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

wow its all so clear now, many thanks!

mace i can always rely on you to help out.... much appreciated ^-^
Closed Thread