Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Pod Army Help!
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jul 2006, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Army Ranger
Default Drop Pod Army Help!

Fellow Tau commanders I need your help. I have recently played a couple of games against a close friend. Obviously from the topics he has started to use Drop Pods with his marines. I need advise on what to take.

His army looks like this:
4 six man squads with heavy weapons that sit back on his board edge, a 10 man devastator squad with 4 plasma cannons, 1 whirlwind (major pain in the but), 1 predator, 3 10 man drop squads with flamer, 10 man command squad that drops with a Chaplin, and 2 dreadnaughts 1 shootie and one that drops in with a heavy flamer and assault cannon (I hate that gun!).

I have battle him twice first was a draw (barely on my part); the second was a draw because he rolled badly for deep strike. I still need help on what to take to effectively beat army that half stays back and shoots and the other half drops right in front of you.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Drop Pod Army Help!

Mobilise your army, put your firewarriors in devil fish, outmaneuver him with hammerheads and you could even take a Phirana with a fusion blaster to deal with the whirlwind.

Just Remember to Try and stay out of LOS and if you put the SMS on your vehicles you can shoot him while he can't shoot you.

If your lacking in Anti-Light Vehicle fire power DeathRain Suits should be able to easly deal with the Dreadnaughts, and some plasma equiped Suits should do well against the marines.

Do you use kroot? Infiltrated in cover they will be Very Annoing to your enemy and if nothing else waste his firepower
Old 14 Jul 2006, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm not sure if this will work but it's an idea. do something he won't expect and deep strike units behind his shooting lines and outmaneuver his assalt forces. you could get some good shots at rear armor and might even scare him into pulling his assalt forces back!although I use this against tyranids with some heavier weapons it could be geared for use against marines. I hope this helps.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 01:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could take a Shas'O With Plasma Rifle,Fusion Blaster, Stimulant injector Iridium Armour and HW Drone controller with 2 shield drones..... Then deepstrike this behind his lines > preferably away from his devastator squad

That will realy give him something to think about. You could even use it to take out the wirlwind before moveing on to his Heavy wep Squads
Old 14 Jul 2006, 01:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Maybe you could borrow Gibletts (my leopard gecko) and make her crap all over his minis, or release the swarms of locousts (crickits) then release Gibie to do her work!

Sorry... just really exited.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 03:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

im not going to lie a good drop pod army can beat any army it just two buff but seeing how he still has stuff on the table i think you can take him i have a list all PM you

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 14 Jul 2006, 10:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Use a third (or a bit less) of you army as crisis suits to deep strike behind his shooty lines, less than a third of kroot and stationary FW (or even Gue'Vesa) as fire magnets adn the rest of your army (railheads, ionheads, skyrays and alot of crisis and stealth suits) preferably all with SMS where possible, to duck in and out of cover being a constant source of heay firepower to which he will be unable to respond.

At leats that is how I would attempt to deal with it.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 14 Jul 2006, 14:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Bring your games point-limit down from 2000 to 1500. It looks to me like you're playing too many points.

You're playing too many points against a marine player. By definition, they can get everything. The more points you give the enemy, the less weakness his army has.

He has you beat at 2000 points, so make him make some strategic decisions on what he's not going to bring...
I never play games above 1750. Never, Never, Never.

Otherwise, mobilize, but don't spend too much on tanks. I wouldn't worry about rail-heads or probably even broadsides against him. I'd take ion heads with burst cannons. Whirlwinds shouldn't be that big of a deal, I consider them one of the weaker template weapons in the game.

Drop Pods themselves are open topped, and a penetrating hit has a 1/3 chance of exploding, doing damage to the squad next to it. Use a couple missile pods on a drop pod before getting at the squad, if the squad is a threat. Blow up that drop pod and get some extra wounds, possibly (this is assuming the missile pods aren't able to shoot at the squad directly).

Use pinning weapons. Kill the librarian no matter what, if he has Fear of the Dark.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Closed Thread