Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside or Hammerhead: The Real Issue
View Poll Results: What is better overall a 160p Hammerhead or 2 Broadsides?
Hammerhead 31 59.62%
Broadside 21 40.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to SunForge
Default Broadside or Hammerhead: The Real Issue

I have to decide what to use for my Mech Tau army which currently is using Rail Heads for anti tank, but I hear that the massed broadside technique works well to.

Join it if your a fan of Mech Taunew members are needed)

http://groups.msn.com/FiriosMechaniz..._whatsnew.msnw

THE EMPIRE NEEDS YOU
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Broadside or Hammerhead: The Real Issue

The purpose of mech Tau is to maximize mobility, is it not?

Broadsides, with their AdvStabSys, move maximum six inches a turn if the dice dieties favor you.

Hammerheads, with Multitrackers, can move 12 inches per turn.

Which do you think is the better option for Mobile Tau?
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:16   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Do you want to keep playing Mech Tau or change to hybrid?

I actually use 2 Hammerheads and 2 Broadsides in my Army, which is all Mech with the exceptions of the Broadsides. I consider Suits and Gun Drones as Mech since they can keep a 12" per turn move rate going.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:21   #4 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Hammerheads are ideal for mech-tau! ;D

Having billions of broadsides is un-fluffy and cheesy. Broadsides are powerful but very slow so can't re-position as fast as other mech-tau stuff, whilst a hammer head can.

Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

When tooling for a mech army, my idea of a good mobile unit is giving every unit the ability to either 1) have a jump pack or possibly move higher than 6 inches as a majority or 2) Be attatched to a transport that CAN move that fast (ala Devilfish).

This means you'll find Pirahnas attractive, since they are naturally fast vehicles and come 5 per squad. It also means you can give them fusion blasters, and when the risk comes that they might get KOed, detatch your drones.

It also means Vespid are the viable choice of the day as opposed to the static broadsides and Sniper units (not that I saw much utility in sniper units anyway, as they are just broadsides with maybe one more shot). Not only do they fly fast (12 in), count as jump infantry, don't roll for dangerous terrain when landing in it, and fleet, but they have an AP3 gun which can pop space marines from cover, and are decent in CC, as opposed to the hopelessness of the FW. This means you can charge with them to deny your opponent that extra die roll on their Assault phase.

For all your vehicles, if you can squeeze it in, go with at least Decoy launchers and Multitrackers. This gives you saves against immobilized -> dead results, and allows you to shoot like a fast vehicle. Pirahnas are the obvious exception since they are already fast vehicles.

This is how I see it. Having played a combat patrol with this mentality, my only serious losses were not having everyone attack at once, and being prone to markerlights. Unless you take a skyray or marker drone with your suits, you cannot have markerlights in a mech tau army. In the last codex, you didn't need them, but now they are the Tau's ace in the hole.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Mech Tau means a choice between Railhead, Ionhead or Skyray. Broadsides are powerful but they lack the mobility of a mech army. The Strength of Hammerheads is versatility and speed. Broadsides however are very good at simply punching armor, twin linked their accuracy and numbers help take down the heaviest of armor but they are stuck where they are placed usually and even with A.S.S. their mobility is very limited. The Hammerhead however can stay very mobile, with the multi tracker it can move 12" a turn and still fire all its guns, at multiple targets too if you give it a target lock. Thats some nice power and mobility there.

It all comes down to what you want your army to do. Broadsides rely on having good targets and placement. If your facing an enemy with nothing but infantry than broadsides may not be the best choice where even a railhead can switch to blasting submunitions. However if your facing an amored company broadsides might give you some nice armoed punch. Even with specific opponents aside you can decide whether you want to go for numbers and accuracy over speed and armor. The choice is yours though, broadsides and hammerheads have their advantages and disadvantages, which you use is up to you.

Old 13 Jul 2006, 21:15   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to SunForge

Very intresting, I will be using three Rail Heads in my list though *my first choice* (the roster it is over on the Tau army list section.)

Aside from this from what I am reading I would say in a standard Tau army, Broadsides would win the bet, their cheapness(well compared to the Railhead anyway ) means if you max out (I know its cheasy) your opponents tank's aren't going to see much action. I would love to see a kitted out broadside list against Armoured Company.

Anyway would you agree on a whole, although it is close, Broadsides would win the bet.

<SunForge>

Join it if your a fan of Mech Taunew members are needed)

http://groups.msn.com/FiriosMechaniz..._whatsnew.msnw

THE EMPIRE NEEDS YOU
Old 13 Jul 2006, 21:33   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

broadside would win on the open feild but in the city hammerhead would win, so like everyone said its all up to you.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 01:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmir
Hammerheads are ideal for mech-tau! ;D

Having billions of broadsides is un-fluffy and cheesy. Broadsides are powerful but very slow so can't re-position as fast as other mech-tau stuff, whilst a hammer head can.
Why Cheesy.. your losing the mobility of the Tank.

Why Unfluffy... you are playing the part of a Commander who has developed tactics that revolve around Battlearmour rather than Tanks. Tanks being harder to conceal and get into tight spaces,

I myself do not use ANY tau tanks .. no transports either.. all infantry... I don't consider it cheesy or un-fluffy...
Old 14 Jul 2006, 02:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

No tanks huh?

So in an open feild if you're swarmed by a nid player and all you have are broadsides, you'd better hope to The Greater Good that your FW and everything else can take them down before they get to you on turn 2/3...

Broadsides = pure antiarmor

Hammerheads = Multipurpose.

Sure it's a little more expensive for the hammerhead, but at least with the HH you can have the same SMS with the option trading this out for gun drones, AND the bast template. The only benefit with the broadside is the ability for greater accuracy since you re-roll misses.

It's one of the reasons why I don't take sniper teams- you're going to kill at most three models. Against nids/guardsmen, you're not killing the numbers you should be. Pinning only delays them for a turn, but without anything that can do mass-killing, what's going to take care of them?

'sides, pinning should be left to deep-striking gun drones anyway.