Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal or Commander?
View Poll Results: Would you take an Ethereal over a second battlesuit commander?
Yes 8 14.81%
No 33 61.11%
Only take 1 HQ 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Ethereal or Commander?

Just wondering who takes ethereals to who takes 2 battlesuit commanders.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:29   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Pvt_Jack_Ryan Send a message via MSN to Pvt_Jack_Ryan
Default Re: Etheral or Commander?

Yes I would take an ethereal over a second BS commander.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 17:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ethereal or Commander?

as i rarely go infantry heavy (bar kroot) it makes little sense for me to take an etherial.

besides, two guys on the board with IC status? rock on!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes I would, a mobile FW squad with bs4 is too good to miss, it can make a great lure.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 11 Jul 2006, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

In the old codex, all the time. I took both most of the time. Hell, I mainly took the commander because I hated the idea of a "holy man" figure like an ethereal leading an army. He may be able to inspire people, but hes not going to have the same grasp on battlefield maneuvers as a commander!

Recently this has changed due to 2 factors. The biggest one is the requirement for LoS to the ethereal. He's simply too vulnerable now. This also caused the tau to pretty much have the least reliable morale in the game. So my typical tau army has become mechanised as vehicles dont have to take morale checks . Plus I always thought of mech tau as being more in line with tau fluff anyway. As such I had always wanted to mechanise even in the old codex
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 11 Jul 2006, 23:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I field an Ethreal myself and I am very pleased with him.
My tactics are different, I think, and I really need to re-roll moral checks alot. May it be to run away or to stay and fight, it all depends on the situation.
Also, I prefer that there is only one "Commander" on the battle field.
Fielding two crisis commanders is not really my thing. Its good, but its not me.

Also this guy in his batch robe is an exelent bait. I won a game vs Tyranids thx to the fact that the Tyranid player got greedy and killed my Ethreal in round 2 or 3.
This meant I ahd to make a leadership test on my whole army. No biggy, for some reason I passed all of them, except one, the one who where in close combat allready.
Since I passed the moral check, I now got the prefered enemy rule. So instead of hitting my enemy on 5+ in close combat I now hit them on 3+.
Of course I prefered to shoot the tyranids, but once there was no escape I could charge and even out the odds in close combat.

It all sums down to if you like th eethreal or not.
I my self dont like the model, so I made my own. Fluff vice the Ethreals are chosen among the best of each caste. Meaning there are ethreals from the Fire caste.
So I made a model from the Fire warrior model and modified it a little. Now he is an old retired Shas'O in a fire warrior armour (rule vice he has a shield drone do symbolice this).

Yours Truly

Vash

It's just a game... have fun!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 23:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
I field an Ethreal myself and I am very pleased with him.
My tactics are different, I think, and I really need to re-roll moral checks alot. May it be to run away or to stay and fight, it all depends on the situation.
Also, I prefer that there is only one "Commander" on the battle field.
Fielding two crisis commanders is not really my thing. Its good, but its not me.

Also this guy in his batch robe is an exelent bait. I won a game vs Tyranids thx to the fact that the Tyranid player got greedy and killed my Ethreal in round 2 or 3.
This meant I ahd to make a leadership test on my whole army. No biggy, for some reason I passed all of them, except one, the one who where in close combat allready.
Since I passed the moral check, I now got the prefered enemy rule. So instead of hitting my enemy on 5+ in close combat I now hit them on 3+.
Of course I prefered to shoot the tyranids, but once there was no escape I could charge and even out the odds in close combat.

It all sums down to if you like th eethreal or not.
I my self dont like the model, so I made my own. Fluff vice the Ethreals are chosen among the best of each caste. Meaning there are ethreals from the Fire caste.
So I made a model from the Fire warrior model and modified it a little. Now he is an old retired Shas'O in a fire warrior armour (rule vice he has a shield drone do symbolice this).

Yours Truly

Vash
It depends if you want to risk it.
if your ethereal dies, you risk losing the battle,
your battlesuit commander has more wounds than an ethereal.
unless you take aun va, id go with the two commanders

[size=smaller]Fixed quote - you need the end quote tag "[nobbc][/quote][/nobbc]" - .mace[/size]
Old 12 Jul 2006, 21:42   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I probabley wouldnt use an etheral if you paid me... price of failure is bad... and their not exactley good at anything...
Old 13 Jul 2006, 00:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've not tried it yet, but look forward to loading up that BS4 honour guard in a warfish.
The ethereal must be worth it just for the honour guard. Statistically a Fish of Fury rapid-fire honour guard squad of 11 (as ethereal needs space in transport too) will wipe out ten guardsmen a turn!
However, this is still theoryhammer.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 04:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I field an ethereal because it's the only way I make 1500pts :P

But if I had another XV8 i'd take another commander. as Deadnight aptly pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
...two guys on the board with IC status? rock on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Closed Thread