Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cityfight for Mech Tau
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jul 2006, 07:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Cityfight for Mech Tau

Well today I fought a few rather enlightening battles in cityfight. Against the sisters of battle no less. To be short, they sucked and I ran into tons of problems (not least keeping track of the new rules). Something I noticed however was that many of the scenarios envolved holding a building or taking a building or more than one. Of course in Cities of Death skimmers cant even enter a building which means many of a mechanized armies scoring units wont be able to capture buildings. For instance my first battle saw two Hammerheads, two mounted FW squads and 2 ICs, a Shas'el and Shas'o. Thats only 2 scoring units that could capture buildings. 4 scoring units total but what I didnt take into acount was that only two could actually capture buildings. For many mech armies this can be a great problem. However my second game I switched it up and used 3 FW squads only 1 mounted. The mounted squad ended up getting toasted and the other two couldnt move enough to take objectives. Again more problems.

So how do we counter this. Well for one we need squads who can take buildings, but have the surviveability and numbers to hold up in the close confines of cityfight. So lets look at a few squads Ive contemplated for a moment. Drones, Firewarriors, Stealth Suits, Crisis Suits and Kroot.

Drones: Ok so these little guys are underestimated more than a little. But they are a scoring unit, a squad of 4 is pretty cheap at 48pts and they do have carbines at 18" range and pinning, thats not too shabby. Im thinking a small squad will avoid much of the enemies attention and can even be deep struck to get out of the way buildings mid or late game.

Firewarriors: These are the backbone of our army. Cheap, not too badly armed and 4+ armor is not so bad either. Still they arent going to last long to flamers or close combat and for a mech army will probably be in transports. Still with rapelling lines they can take buildings although with some added danger. Carbine squads are an option for mobility without the expensive transport but its up to player preference here.

Stealth Suits: These are catching my eye more, I didnt like them much in normal play but now Im thinking they would do perfectly as an extra scoring unit to capture objectives. With the very high rate of fire from the burst cannon they can sweep up any weakened squads in a building and capture it. Plus they arent too shabby if they do get locked in combat, not a bad unit for taking buildings on the flanks. Plus they still fit in with a mech army and arent too pricey and can be given fusion blasters for any characters or tanks you may encounter in the close confines of a city.

Crisis Suits: Another common sight in a mech army crisis suits are generally well armed and can take some impressive close ranged weapons. However they arent cheap and relatively few in number. Im thinking they are better suited to adding fire support against the enemy than claiming buildings, something better left to others but they are scoring units save for our commanders and can if need be.

Kroot: These guys can sometimes be seen in a mech army, deffinetly in a hybrid and are cheap, numerous and do very well in cover. Even I, who almost never uses kroot normally, am considering getting a squad for cities of death. Not shabby in the ranged department they can also do fairly well in close combat and can be taken in some hefty numbers. Many mech armies will be few in number and some kroot can deffinetly help raise model count.

There are others that can be considered, pathfinders and gue'vesa for instance but gue'vesa are no longer legal it seems and pathfinders have other roles to fill. So of those I mentioned above from looking at them Im thinking Kroot and Stealths will probably be the best bet to add some fire sweep squads and scoring units to a mech army for taking buildings and holding them while the rest of the army uses its mobility to eliminate the enemy.

So to sum up for those mech players out there just some tips to try and reduce the surprises of your cityfight gaming. Remember to number up, get more scoring units on the field and get some units dedicated to taking and holding buildings, something generaly much more important in cities of death than we are normally used to.

Now that said some discussion on which units would work is deffinetly good. Ive only roughly outlined and even those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 10 Jul 2006, 08:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Cityfight for Mech Tau

Hey Mech Tau are actually quite good in cityfight (CoD whatever).

Crisis suits have 2 wounds so bouncing is dangerous but won't generally jeopardize a squad. Skimmers are basically cheese in CoD and I find that a well supported FW squad can hold a building for ages. Towards the last few turns, a quick run and repel to the top floor, and if you don't get unlucky you'll have a scoring unit which an opponent can't easily draw LoS to.

Small squads of Pathfinders are great too. They're scoring they can move fast with the 'fish and from a tall building can have a good vantage point for the markerlights. If the squad size is small enough then they wont garner much attention.

Stealth squads are alright, but lack of LoS and the quick closing speed (along with the J-S-J hazards) make me think that they're only really worth it when in bulk. More cannons equals more wounds, which in turn equals more saves to be rolled. Even Orks get 4+ saves, and if the opponent takes the 'feel no pain' ability the only thing you can do is force more wounds. I'd almost say take more Crisis instead unless you're taking a full squad (hey give all drones if you want, you'll have plenty to hide behind).

Anyways both time I played my mech list during CoD I got a crushing victory, and the skimmers really did the trick. Mech Tau Rule #1 in CoD - More skimmers = easier win
Old 10 Jul 2006, 10:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i took mech tau in city fight and dominated. my squads disembarked from their transports to find that the opponents army had been wiped out by the rest of my army. very funny(for me). have you tried rappeling lines. sure you take a dangerous test but eh its worth it. you can park you skimmers on buildings(i think). WELL the FLAT ONES!!!.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 19:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

A skimmer over a building doesnt capture it and while yes Mech Tau is great at blasting up the enemy the missions in cities of death are mainly around capturing buildings, sweeping through buildings and holding them, something Mech Tau doesnt do very well. It all depends on how you play. Sure you might toast most of the enemies army but if he has accomplished the mission objectives and you havent... well he wins. 4 of the 5 missions in cities of death revolve around capturing buildings or a specific building, only one is about simply killing your foe. So its important for Mech players to keep in mind your scoring units and the mission goals. Skimmers cant enter buildings, thus skimmers cant take buildings.

For instance my games yesterday, I mauled my opponent, even with terrible luck I still took down more than half of my foe. Yet he had captured all 5 of the buildings on the board and I had 0 even if I managed to kill the rest of his forces he would have won. Doesnt matter if he had just one trooper on the field he would have won.

If your playing simple cleanse type games it doesnt matter much but for those of you who actually intend to play the missions and have to take buildings some problems will arise. So this is simply an attempt to limit those problems.

Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ok, so skimmers cant hold buildings when they're hovering above them... Ouch. What about landing? If you take 2nd turn and fly your hammerhead (with sensor spines?) onto a building in the 2nd last turn then LAND in your final turn, can you hold the building? I imagine you would be able to since you no longer count as a skimmer. Im not so sure rules-wise about this since i never read that part of the book (probably should though)
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mech Tau can hold buildings. You just have to take more than two mounted fire warrior teams. 10-12 fire warriors repelling down to the top floor of a building are going to be almost imune to assault, and that 4+ cover save will stave off the heavy bolters. In some missions you have to plant flags in buildings, so firewarriors can fly from building to building claiming them, remember that units at 25% can still claim buildings, so bonding will be very useful.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Mech Tau can hold buildings. You just have to take more than two mounted fire warrior teams. 10-12 fire warriors repelling down to the top floor of a building are going to be almost imune to assault, and that 4+ cover save will stave off the heavy bolters. In some missions you have to plant flags in buildings, so firewarriors can fly from building to building claiming them, remember that units at 25% can still claim buildings, so bonding will be very useful.
Now the only problem with that is yes you can offload the FW on to a building roof if you take repel lines however you can not re-embark into the fish from there. You will have to waste a couple turns at least (depending on the height of the building) to move to ground level and meet the fish parked out back. I think THE answer for COD is kroot...lots of em. They are your cheap objective grabbers while you use other support elements to keep you enemy pinned down or contained.

"Hope" is not a strategy.
Closed Thread