Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

thinking about collecting tau army, help?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2004, 05:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default thinking about collecting tau army, help?

What should i start off with because i looked at the battle force and don't know if it is good.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 06:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: thinking about collecting tau army, help?

yeah this applys to me to so "The God of Punk" says help us!!!!!!!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 06:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Want to start a Tau army?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 06:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Battle Force is a good way to check what you like and don't like about the Tau, and gives you a very good spread of most of the various Tau forces. *From there, it's easy to spread to the particular models that you both like and that suit the style of play you are most comfortable with.

Generally, the Battle Force is the first step; next, one or two additional Crisis suits come next. The new squad box that has been release (containing a Fire Warrior Squad and a Devilfish) let you try out mounted tactics (DEFINITELY worthwhile! *Mobility is the key to Tau combat). *Using these will also let you in on how Pathfinders might work for you, and whether you would enjoy them or no.

A Hammerhead or Broadside suit give you Heavy Support options (and a chance to see how the Tau Rail Guns work). *Finally, at this point you should have enough Gun Drones to form a squad of those as well, to see if you like their particular nuances or not.

Short and sweet; hopefully it gives you the advice you need! *Good luck!

Oh, and the prior post location helps too.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

I agree mostly with whats been said already, the tau battleforce is porbably the only one which is useful for starting an army as it has 2 troops choices, hq, fast attack...and elites! Since getting the battleforce i havent needed to get any more crisis suits....i find 3 works fine for me as i field them as individuals. The best way to gauge whats needed in your army is too play a few battles with the battleforce army and expend from their..however i can definately say you will want to get at least one more box of fire warriors and most likely a heavy support....for smaller battles the hammerhead can be invaluable with its greater survivability and firewpoer than the broadside...also its a lot cheaper...maxing out a heavy support section with hammerheads (3 x 20) is a lot cheaper than maxing out with broadsides (and a lot less cheesier too...a lot less!) (9 x 15)
Old 10 Dec 2004, 22:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Pretty much this is what to do:
1) Buy Codex
2) Buy Battleforce - follow the Want to start a Tau army? Guide
3) To Expand from there, get a few more squads of firewarriors, some stealthsuits, and hammerheads.. Basically whats at the end of the 'Want to start a Tau army?' Guide..
Old 11 Dec 2004, 09:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to -Unforgiven-

Well...if you dont like some of the models in the battleforce i.e Kroot, then you could always start off by geting a box of firewarriors, paints, codex, brushes, glue.

Then when you have finished your 12models, either get another box of Firewarriors or a 3 Crisis Battlesuit team.

You should go for the Crisis Battesuite team so you can have LEGAL games. Divide your Firewarriors into 2 squads of 6 and you have two troop choices and a HQ choice.

Now to expand off of that, geet another firewarrior squad. this should let you have 2 FULL Firewarrior squads of 12men each. and a HQ section of 3 Crisis Battlesuits.

Then you'll need some more battlesuits. You shoudl consider getting a Boradside. Quickly followed by another Broadside.

Then if you have the money and it is neccesary, you should consider purchasing a Hammerhead.

By then, You'll have a very basic and effiecent small Tau Army.

Note: May not lead you to free Gmail
Old 11 Dec 2004, 09:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Not liking some models isn't a very good reason not to use them.. If your a gamer, you'll realise that without kroot.. your pretty much opening the door for assault troops and really depending on your firepower.. without any form of assualt backup.. and if your more of a painter person.. just don't spend a lot of time painting your kroot, just give them 3 colours and your done. The moral here is.. at least try the kroot (borrow an instore army or something) before you make the decision not to use it or not.. trust me they are good, my squad of 12 took out half of crazedmongoose's eldar army in a 1000 point game.. Don't overlook them because if you decide to use them.. your saving a lot of money as you can just get the battleforce, and from that, you have a fully legal Tau army straight away - 1 crisis suit as hq, 2 as elites, firewarriors and kroot are each 1 troop squad.. add to that 2 squads of drones for fast attack - a great starting army from just one boxed set...

As I said above.. expansion from there is easy.. more firewarriors (if not another battleforce so you have a full squad of kroot and all the crisis suits and gun drones you'll ever need), some stealthsuits, and hammerheads and broadsides.. once you approach 2000 points.. consider pathfinders and devilfishes..
Old 11 Dec 2004, 12:04   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

bang on advice. when i started out, i bought one of the battle boxes and then bought another when i realized that it was a good deal. if you do go pathfinders, i personally find the models a bit pricey, so if i was to do it again, i'd just convert some firewarriors and equip them with pulse carbines (the only guys in my army to have them).

and yeah, i'm also an advocate of the kroot -- i'll field 60 anytime i can.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 22:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to -Unforgiven-

hmm...but fluff wise, the Tau might not be able to hire hte Kroot Mercenaries...and plus...wont they count as Allies?...I dont know...UI just like the thought of an entire Tau army hiding behind rubbles as a Detachment of Space Marines hurry along a battle scarred terrain...that'd look so cool!...and when the SMs reached you, you were good as dead...I dont know...I think having no kroots will make VERY interesting but one sided battles...

If I started a Tau army (which I've been considering for many months) I wont have kroot and just have alot of Firewarriors and Battlesuits. a few Hammerheads too. It'd look pretty cool I think...

Note: May not lead you to free Gmail
Closed Thread