Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jul 2006, 20:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 45
Send a message via MSN to Kaldoth
Default New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Hey all! Im Kaldoth (you might know me as the Administrator of the Throne of Blood forums) and Ive just recently decided to start up a small Tau force. So, Ive got a couple of questions for you guys:

1. So far, Ive bought the Dex, a squad of Firewarriors, an XV8 Crisis suit, and a Hammerhead tank. Im hoping to get in one or two more purchases, so what do you all suggest I get next? Also, I forgot that there was the new Commander box, so Im thinking about returning the XV8 and getting the commander box instead. Do you think I should? I dont want to spend an extra five bucks if I dont have to...

2. Noobish question, so dont hurt me! Anyway, are the Septs listed in the Codex the only ones established so far, or are they just a few of them?

3. I cant decide on how to paint them! Im trying to decide between the T'au Sept scheme (I reaaalllyyy like it) or one I came up with myself (dark grey and black, with orange detailing. Cityfight-ish, but not quite). What do you think I should go with?

Anyway, thanks for the help!

-Kaldoth
__________________
"Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about shrapnel addressed to 'occupant'." -Murphy

Nid player trying to bulk up your army? Send me an email.
Kaldoth is offline  
Old 07 Jul 2006, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldoth
Hey all! Im Kaldoth (you might know me as the Administrator of the Throne of Blood forums) and Ive just recently decided to start up a small Tau force. So, Ive got a couple of questions for you guys:

1. So far, Ive bought the Dex, a squad of Firewarriors, an XV8 Crisis suit, and a Hammerhead tank. Im hoping to get in one or two more purchases, so what do you all suggest I get next? Also, I forgot that there was the new Commander box, so Im thinking about returning the XV8 and getting the commander box instead. Do you think I should? I dont want to spend an extra five bucks if I dont have to...

2. Noobish question, so dont hurt me! Anyway, are the Septs listed in the Codex the only ones established so far, or are they just a few of them?

3. I cant decide on how to paint them! Im trying to decide between the T'au Sept scheme (I reaaalllyyy like it) or one I came up with myself (dark grey and black, with orange detailing. Cityfight-ish, but not quite). What do you think I should go with?

Anyway, thanks for the help!

-Kaldoth
Welcome to the forums!

For starters you are going to need a second troops choice. I would go with another Fire Warrior team. Using a regular Crisis suit for your commander is fine in smaller games where you really don't want to be spending a lot of specialty wargear. I would hang on to it until your force is a little bigger and you find yourself needing the options from the Commander boxed set.

The Septs in the codex are the only ones we know of, but there are new septs being founded as the Third Sphere expands. There may also be a great deal of smaller worlds, moons, and installations that are not big enough to be classified as septs in their own right.

It sounds like you are going with a darker variant of the Sa'Cea color scheme. That would definitely by a dramatic color scheme. Maybe try painting a spare drone or two in each scheme and see how it looks on the table?
khanaris is offline  
Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 45
Send a message via MSN to Kaldoth
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Welcome to the forums!

For starters you are going to need a second troops choice. I would go with another Fire Warrior team. Using a regular Crisis suit for your commander is fine in smaller games where you really don't want to be spending a lot of specialty wargear. I would hang on to it until your force is a little bigger and you find yourself needing the options from the Commander boxed set.
I guess Ill keep it then. The new Commander just looks so frigging cool :P


Quote:
The Septs in the codex are the only ones we know of, but there are new septs being founded as the Third Sphere expands. There may also be a great deal of smaller worlds, moons, and installations that are not big enough to be classified as septs in their own right.
Thanks for that. The reason I ask is because I want to make a DIY Tau army, but I really dont know how to go about doing it ??? Being an SM player, Im not quite sure how the Tau organize their armies. With SMs, as you know, they are all seperated into different Chapters and are independent from eachother. They have their own histories, customs, and schemes. Is it the same with the Tau? Id appreciate it if someone could give me some detail on how the Tau army is organized, as Im really quite lost :-\

Quote:
It sounds like you are going with a darker variant of the Sa'Cea color scheme. That would definitely by a dramatic color scheme. Maybe try painting a spare drone or two in each scheme and see how it looks on the table?
Sort of. Im planning on painting the armour plates grey, the cloth black, and any detailing will be orange. Darker than the Sa'Cea scheme, but similar.

Keep the comments coming!

-Kaldoth

Edit: Two more questions.

1. Why is there a 1+ next to the Firewarrior entry in the codex?

2. Why is there an *4 next to the Kroot Rifle weapon profile in the Tau summary?
__________________
"Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about shrapnel addressed to 'occupant'." -Murphy

Nid player trying to bulk up your army? Send me an email.
Kaldoth is offline  
Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 483
Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
For starters you are going to need a second troops choice. I would go with another Fire Warrior team. Using a regular Crisis suit for your commander is fine in smaller games where you really don't want to be spending a lot of specialty wargear. I would hang on to it until your force is a little bigger and you find yourself needing the options from the Commander boxed set.
Well, if your particularily strapped for cash and versing a nercon or space maine player you could even consider simply splitting the 12 man squad in to two teams of 6, perfectly legal and cheap. This is what I did for a very long time as I started. It proves to be pretty futile in larger games, but in the smaller ones - only versing necrons and marines with the odd 'nid it turned out advantageous.

I myself love broadsides, cheap and powerfull, as soon as I saw the forgeworld models I had to have them - however you'll soon learn on these forums that broadisdes are like marmite, most people either love 'em or hate 'em. Though for starting off, you can't go far wrong with more crisis suits simply because they are some of the backbone troops in my army and have gotten me out of many sticky situations.

The only problem I see with dark grey and black with only small orange detailing might look dull when expanded to larger scale models like suits and tanks as thats then a lot of grey dark area - only a consideration, I myself haven't got such a colour scheme so can't really comment. Do you have any spare models - from any game? Visualising he colours should help you decide.

I find with sept's it is often interesting and challenging to make up your own, give them some background information and a specialised colour scheme.

My red Tau came from a hot red sand world ridden by the tyrniads made dead. It had to be abandoned, and the Tau in my army are the only survivers of the dead planet, one cadre with a hint of vengeance that pushes the limits of the greater good to the extremes. Aliken to the kin of the farsight encalves with no home they simply live to hunt.

As to organising, do you have the new Tau codex? In the new one is is explained particularily well on page 22-23, much better than I could. The sept's themselves just refer to the worlds they come from - though they've been given sotries that would influence their styles, i.e. vi'orla (sorry for poor spelling) is considered to be hot-blooded and rash, though excellent fighters.

quote tag fixed. - Khanaris
__________________
De'lvaurius

-The Bleak Assassin-
Delvaurius is offline  
Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:24   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldoth

Thanks for that. The reason I ask is because I want to make a DIY Tau army, but I really dont know how to go about doing it ??? Being an SM player, Im not quite sure how the Tau organize their armies. With SMs, as you know, they are all seperated into different Chapters and are independent from eachother. They have their own histories, customs, and schemes. Is it the same with the Tau? Id appreciate it if someone could give me some detail on how the Tau army is organized, as Im really quite lost :-\
Tau Septs do not differ as much in doctrine as Space Marine Chapters, Imperial Guard Armies, Ork Clans, or Craftworlds, but there are differences. Since each sept maintains its own academies, some tactical differences are bound to develop. This is not outlined very well in the official material, though. There was an article about differences in Crisis configuration published by GW a while back.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/bat...figurations/1/

This is the only one I am aware of, though.

Individual Cadres (which is what most 40k Tau armies represent) are fairly independant in terms of supply and deployment, although they are nowhere near as autonomous as Space Marines. The codex gives a breakdown of how cadres factor in to the larger Tau army.
khanaris is offline  
Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 45
Send a message via MSN to Kaldoth
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
Well, if your particularily strapped for cash and versing a nercon or space maine player you could even consider simply splitting the 12 man squad in to two teams of 6, perfectly legal and cheap. This is what I did for a very long time as I started. It proves to be pretty futile in larger games, but in the smaller ones - only versing necrons and marines with the odd 'nid it turned out advantageous.
Well, I dont really want to split them into two squads of six. Little too little methinks. I usually take a minimum of 8 men per squad, no matter what army.

Quote:
I myself love broadsides, cheap and powerfull, as soon as I saw the forgeworld models I had to have them - however you'll soon learn on these forums that broadisdes are like marmite, most people either love 'em or hate 'em. Though for starting off, you can't go far wrong with more crisis suits simply because they are some of the backbone troops in my army and have gotten me out of many sticky situations.
I was contemplating using broadsides, but theyre really frigging expensive! Theyre what, thirty-five bucks a piece? My wallet isnt that deep :-\

Quote:
The only problem I see with dark grey and black with only small orange detailing might look dull when expanded to larger scale models like suits and tanks as thats then a lot of grey dark area - only a consideration, I myself haven't got such a colour scheme so can't really comment. Do you have any spare models - from any game? Visualising he colours should help you decide.
I was thinking about that, but Im fairly sure that is easily avoidable. Ill just have to experiment with it and see how it goes. No spare models either :-\

Quote:
As to organising, do you have the new Tau codex? In the new one is is explained particularily well on page 22-23, much better than I could. The sept's themselves just refer to the worlds they come from - though they've been given sotries that would influence their styles, i.e. vi'orla (sorry for poor spelling) is considered to be hot-blooded and rash, though excellent fighters.
Just got the dex and Ive read through it already. Im still a bit confused on the organization though. Read further down my post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Individual Cadres (which is what most 40k Tau armies represent) are fairly independant in terms of supply and deployment, although they are nowhere near as autonomous as Space Marines. The codex gives a breakdown of how cadres factor in to the larger Tau army.
Well, that helps a bit I suppose. However, that just leads me to more questions :P Do Cadres change their schemes to fit their surroundings (IE, camo), or are they like the Space Marines, in that they always have the same armour no matter where they are? Or do Tau from a certain planet all have the same type of armour, sort of like Imperial Guard regiments? Also, would it be acceptable for me to make up my own planet for my force, or would it be better to use one of the ones listed?

-Kaldoth
__________________
"Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about shrapnel addressed to 'occupant'." -Murphy

Nid player trying to bulk up your army? Send me an email.
Kaldoth is offline  
Old 08 Jul 2006, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldoth
Well, that helps a bit I suppose. However, that just leads me to more questions :P Do Cadres change their schemes to fit their surroundings (IE, camo), or are they like the Space Marines, in that they always have the same armour no matter where they are? Or do Tau from a certain planet all have the same type of armour, sort of like Imperial Guard regiments? Also, would it be acceptable for me to make up my own planet for my force, or would it be better to use one of the ones listed?
They seem to use uniforms appropriate to their battlezone. T'au colors serve in desert terrain and as a kind of dress uniform, while Sa'cea colors are used in urban terrain and Bork'an camo is used in snow. This is described on page 59 of the codex.
khanaris is offline  
Old 08 Jul 2006, 00:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,194
Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

First off I do recomend getting more Firewarriors, these guys may not be the rough and ready space marines but for what they are, the grunts of the army, they are pretty darn good. 4+ armor, 30" range and fairly cheap too plus strength 5 guns. Thats really not bad these guys can even take out light tanks and if they can get behind ruin even things like the mighty russ. You can also give them EMP grenades and then even the Land Raider Crusader has something to fear from the simple Firewarrior. 24 (two boxes of 12) is a good number to go with for your army. You dont often need more than that but much less isnt a great idea either its a good versatile amount to work with that you can change as you need it.

Sadly there really is very little to no official fluff detaling such things about the Tau military however it would seem that the Tau do all of those things. There really is no official fluff so you can do what you like. However something I tend to think of is that honour guards such as say Shadowsun's personal bodyguards and those escorting Aun'va will wear the traditional colors of T'au where as the regular line cadres may change and adapt their armor to the environment be it urban, jungle, desert etc and still others such as defence forces that will wear the colors of the sept they are currently stationed on.

Also a Tau sept is a major system, in other words a highly populated cluster of planets. However not all Tau holdings are septs and there are a few septs that we dont know of directly the new codex left open a lot of room for new planets where the old one didnt. So yes its very possible to make your own planet and even if you really wanted your own sept. Just remember that not all Tau held planets are going to be in a sept and a single planet is not a sept. There are plenty of planets on the borders of the empire that are nothing more than mining colonies, small outposts, trade points and refueling stations but all need at least a small defence force and there will even be colonies of decent size and growing that will be somewhat isolated. Far from the stage of becoming septs even small clusters of planets on the edges of the Tau empire can be made up. Such planets and colonies can be very fluffy as they embody the expansionistic ideals of the Tau and the seeds for new septs to come later.

Lastly about your color scheme. Something I find interesting is to switch it when you get to large models. For isntance my main color is blue with highlights in silver. However on my battle tanks I do the main chasis in silver and use the blue and a mixed blue silver to add other details and form the center line of the tank. It adds enough variation in the scheme to keep it interesting and stop it from becoming dull but it remains a cohesive scheme. So for you that might mean using the orange as the main color on your vehicles and use more of it on your battlesuits. Just an idea though.
__________________



Vash113 is offline  
Old 08 Jul 2006, 01:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Port Arthur, TX
Posts: 107
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Tau Septs do not differ as much in doctrine as Space Marine Chapters, Imperial Guard Armies, Ork Clans, or Craftworlds, but there are differences. Since each sept maintains its own academies, some tactical differences are bound to develop. This is not outlined very well in the official material, though. There was an article about differences in Crisis configuration published by GW a while back.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/bat...figurations/1/
I have a question. In reading the above article. I noticed that many of the crisis suit configurations have gun drones. Has this pretty much been dismissed from common practice? Will this be affected by the new codex?

Sorry for the Hijack.
__________________
OgreMkV is offline  
Old 08 Jul 2006, 01:15   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 58
Send a message via AIM to Pvt_Jack_Ryan Send a message via MSN to Pvt_Jack_Ryan
Default Re: New to the Tau, and I've got a few questions.

Hey man welcome to the forums, I'm also new to Tau, but I know quite a bit as my friend collects them.

I would definently get another Fire Warrior squad if you've got the cash. A Broadside would also be a great choice.

About the septs, just like others said, those are the ones we know of but more will be coming because of the new worlds. You could obviously always make up your own color scheme/sept as well.

I love the Sa'Cea scheme so I would go with your made up scheme. That also makes your scheme unique, the T'au scheme is very generic, it's the basic Tau scheme. If you make your own scheme you might have a scheme no one else in the world has.
Pvt_Jack_Ryan is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uh-oh FAQ questions HiveFleetGoliath Tyranids 6 30 Jun 2009 17:30
Eldar FAQ and Rules Questions. Ask all Rules Questions HERE. sinfox Craftworld Eldar 181 30 Jul 2008 15:52
New to tau, Bunch of questions to help me before my first games, questions added Ekiel Tau 15 03 Jun 2008 01:05
Markerlight questions. NEW QUESTIONS! The_Greater_Good Tau 12 06 Dec 2006 06:27
Tau Questions vonzipper98 Tau 9 21 Nov 2005 20:37