Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A quick question on Commanders
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jul 2006, 08:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default A quick question on Commanders

Just rounding off my tau army and am building a few varients on commanders in crisis suits.

I was just checking that according to the codex it is possible to take 3 different weapon systems, as there is no great loss in the support system side as the majority of these systems can be purchased under the wargear section.

My two varients are:

Shas'o

twin linked plasma rifles
cyclic ion blaster
hard wired drone controller,
hard wired multi tracker
hard wired target lock
shield drone
stimulant injector

and,

Shas'o

Fusion blaster
missile pod
airbursting fragmentation projector
hard wired drone controller,
hard wired multi tracker
hard wired target lock
shield drone
stimulant injector

They are pretty good all rounders - any opinions in fitting out commanders with 3 weapon choices?
Old 07 Jul 2006, 11:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: A quick question on Commanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
They are pretty good all rounders - any opinions in fitting out commanders with 3 weapon choices?
I tend not to. In the first possible case, when the commander is equipped with a twin-linked weapon and one other weapon (thus using three hardpoints), the twin-linking gives you little benefit because the commander already has a high BS. In the second case, when the commander is equipped with three different weapons, they can only fire two of them per turn, even with a multitracker.

It's not always a bad idea. With the old codex, for example, some people gave their Shas'O a plasma rifle, fusion blaster and missile pod. (Plasma/fusion against heavy infantry, fusion/missiles against vehicles, and plasma/missiles at range.) It seems reasonable to incorporate the new special-issue weapons into this scheme - say, a cyclic ion blaster, burst cannon and plasma rifle. You'd use the CIB all the time, and switch between the BC and PR depending on whether you were shooting at light or heavy infantry.

Your second Shas'O could be used in this way, I suppose. Against vehicles, you would use the missile pod and try to work your way close enough to use the fusion blaster. Against light infantry, you could use the AFP, with the missile pod for a touch of extra damage. It still seems a bit conflicted, though. Not many people put an AFP on a commander, because it gains no benefit from their higher BS. Those who do (and I've considered it once or twice) usually do so because their commander's independent character status helps them get into position to use it - but you've given him a drone, so he doesn't even get that.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 12:12   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

"Those who do (and I've considered it once or twice) usually do so because their commander's independent character status helps them get into position to use it - but you've given him a drone, so he doesn't even get that."

Are you referring to the deep strike rule? what effect does having a drone have upon the commander's movement or the situation you are describin?

Thanks for the info, I was considering the uses of the weapon's in the way you described, ie using them in sets of 2 depending upon the target, which is why i felt they have a certain all-round ability, that is for light infantry and heavy armour.

Old 07 Jul 2006, 13:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
Are you referring to the deep strike rule? what effect does having a drone have upon the commander's movement or the situation you are describin?
A commander counts as an independent character. This means that, as long as he's on his own, enemy units can't shoot at him unless he's the closest unit to them. (See page 51 of the rulebook, under 'Shooting At Characters'.) Since you'll usually have other, tougher units (like vehicles, or kroot in cover) closer to the enemy, this makes it easier for a commander to approach the enemy without getting shot than for a standard crisis suit.

If you attach a drone to him, however, he and the drone count as a unit, so he can be shot at. Depending on the enemy, he might be better at surviving without a shield drone than with it.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 14:11   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Is it not just a target priority (leadership test) check in both cases (sorry only just getting back into the new rules having only played 2nd ed before) even if it is a character or a squad that is not nearest the shooting unit?
Old 07 Jul 2006, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would never add all these toys to your commander.

1) They make the Shas'o an unresistable fire magnet, and since they could go down from a single lascannon hit, I would save the 150+ pionts and spread it around other suits.

2) Never TL with a Shas'o. It's a waste. BS5 is nothing to sneeze at.

3) No drones, they get rid of the IC status of the Shas'o.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

A comander on his own (independant) can never be shot at when he is NOT the nearest target unless he is a size bigger than all the rest of the models in the army - i.e. if a hive tyrant was standing behind a load of gaunts, you'd still see it quite easily! If he is the nearest target he can be shot at, so shooting indvidual characters never requires a pirority test.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 08 Jul 2006, 00:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

This is slightly incorrect. Even with the crisis towering over kroot or firewarriors infront of him, he may NOT be targeted as an independant character. The tyrant can be targeted because he is a monsterous creature.
Old 08 Jul 2006, 03:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i agree with Impulse. both of those commanders are extremely expensive.

for the first suit, twin linking does not help too much considering the shas'o has BS 5. i find that the stim injector is a waste of precious points. sure it helps to shrug off some lighter weapons fire, but against str 8 or higher weapons ur still screwed. it can be helpful occasionally, but those points could be better spent elsewhere.

for the second one, never take and AFP for a commander. its a waste of his high BS since the weapon doesn't need to roll to hit. the stim injector, same as first one. i cant really say anything about ur weapons choices cuz i don't know what u plan on using ur commander for.

to be honest, i think better commanders are shas'els with targetting arrays and two weapon systems. waaaay cheaper and pretty much just as good. i think three weapon systems are just making ur suit cost more. u still can only use two per turn. anyway, thats just my two cents.
Old 08 Jul 2006, 04:16   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Whatever I do, I won't put 3 weapon systems on them. That is because they eat up slots on a crisis suit. And to add that to the equation, you can only fire 2 weapons in one turn, so the third one will stay idle as the other weapons do the killing.

PSone with the corrections. Sorry as I was in a hurry when I was typing this. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Closed Thread