Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau, and need advice against a Chaos close-combat army.
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jul 2006, 15:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New to Tau, and need advice against a Chaos close-combat army.

Hi I am new to Tau and need some advice about army compostion, my friend (who I will probably be playing with alot) is building a khorne assult army based around eilte world eaters with "feel no pain" and "Fleet" I am planning to face him in a 400 point battle to start with, and I would like to know how you would deal with this army.
My friend will likley be fielding 2 squads (between 5 and 8 ) of beefed up world eaters with feel no pain and a commander with 5 wounds feel no pain, a 12" move and a 12" charge.
should I take mechanized firewarriors and crisis suits, or try to construct a static defense?

Seeker missiles immediatly came to mind as their S8 would instant kill ignoring feel no pain, owever the only way to get enough on the field would be a sky ray which seems alot of points for one opening salvo.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 05 Jul 2006, 16:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk
Default Re: New to tau and neeed advice against a chaos cc army

Well I aint no expert, but what anti-tank equipment is he taking? cause if there is no or very little of it, you may aswell throw some firewarriors in a devilfish and FoF them to bits

Old 05 Jul 2006, 17:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Keep on the move. Standing still and shooting and praying you kill everything before it gets to you is not good strategy, especially against a fast army geared towards assault. Stay mechanized, and avoid assault at all costs.

Kill off all of the fast things, such as Raptors, first. They can really hurt you quickly.

Railguns are good against the big "feel no pain" commander. No feel no pain and instant kill. So basically that big thing

Use mass pulse fire, and FoF, as well as your Stealthsuits, to kill off the world eaters. Feel no pain is good, but they will statistically fail it if enough shots wound them.

Sniper drones and Ionheads are also very good against the 3+ save. It does not stop the Feel No Pain, but it rips through their armor, leaving them with only that Feel No Pain save.

Tau in 400 points are not good, plain and simple. For Tau, it is all or nothing. You get everything you need to make the army work, or it won't work at all. Chaos are better in lower point games. You cannot fit all of this into a 400 point game, so I would suggest uping it to 1500 or at least 1000.

If you are mindset on a 400 game, up it to 500 and bring a Broadside or two with the Advanced Stabalization System and Shield Drones hard-wired. That way, you will have more Railguns for a cheaper price and you can afford the Mechanization.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 05 Jul 2006, 17:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

use two helios (Plasma/Fusion/Multi-Tracker) suits. They are 62 pts a piece and if you have them in a squad and they have a markerlight (two would be better) supporting them then you can have 2 auto kills, and 4 wounds that he only has a 4+ save on. By odds you should kill 4 world eaters with just that squad.

For this battle, I would highly recommend against FoF. You just can not cause enough wounds to kill them. If they get in... game over.
Old 05 Jul 2006, 17:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot eat Tau

Default Re: New to Tau, and need advice against a Chaos close-combat army.

krooot just take kroot, i had a mannly battle with beserkers vs. my kroot mercs last weekend and even though i lost, the beserkers only had 6 guys left from the original 25-30 and 2 dreadnoughts with 2 CC arms each.

Old 05 Jul 2006, 18:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by drodgers
Hi I am new to Tau and need some advice about army compostion, my friend (who I will probably be playing with alot) is building a khorne assult army based around eilte world eaters with "feel no pain" and "Fleet"

your friend better check his codex. khorne berserkers have neither fleet, or feel no pain.

they have the mark of khorne, and what it gives is stated quite clearly in the codex.

Quote:
I am planning to face him in a 400 point battle to start with, and I would like to know how you would deal with this army.
i'd refuse to play him until he playes a bleedin' legal army!

Quote:
My friend will likley be fielding 2 squads (between 5 and 8 ) of beefed up world eaters with feel no pain and a commander with 5 wounds feel no pain, a 12" move and a 12" charge.
as said, world eater beraerkers can't take feel no pain. Its wargear, and as such can only be bought by aspiring champions and independent characters.

commander can't have 5 wounds. 4 is the max. In any case, at 400pts (combat patrol size) models with more than 2 wounds are forbidden.
Moving on from that, to have a 12" move requires daemonic flight. to have an assault of 12" requires daemonic speed. check the FAQ. they can't be combined. Its either/or.
feel no pain is legal for him though.

Quote:
should I take mechanized firewarriors and crisis suits, or try to construct a static defense?
Neither. Sit the both of yourselves down and read through the chaos codex several times. what he's doing is illegal in every sense of the word. the options he's taking don't even exist! read the codex before either he or you decide to do anything. Him, as he's playing with the damned army and you as you are playing against it...

Quote:

Seeker missiles immediatly came to mind as their S8 would instant kill ignoring feel no pain, owever the only way to get enough on the field would be a sky ray which seems alot of points for one opening salvo.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
advice has been given. play the right way, and then i will wish you all the luck!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 05 Jul 2006, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Quote:
Hi I am new to Tau and need some advice about army compostion, my friend (who I will probably be playing with alot) is building a khorne assult army based around eilte world eaters with "feel no pain" and "Fleet"

your friend better check his codex. khorne berserkers have neither fleet, or feel no pain.

they have the mark of khorne, and what it gives is stated quite clearly in the codex.
they dont have fleet, correct. instead they have blood rage, on a 1 or 2 at the beggining of their movement phase they move an extra 2d6 inches towards the nearest enemy. along with an extra attack and all kinds of goodies

Old 05 Jul 2006, 23:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

First of all, tell your friend that he may want to brush up on his army, as it is all sorts of wrong ( see Deadnight).

Secondly, you cannot go wrong with skimmers against such a force. Khorne have little in the ways of anti-tanking, and coupling this with the already quite durable chassis of a hammerhead and you have a nigh impregnable firebase.

Furthermore, his warriors may be forced to charge towards the nearest enemy at the start of every turn. Use this to your advantage, and be sure that this unit is a skimmer. His troops will have little to no hope of killing it, and you can open fire upon them in your own phase.

Other than that, killl the fats stuff first and keep your squads seven inches apart for safety from sweeping advances.

Good luck.

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Old 06 Jul 2006, 03:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here is a sample army list based off this advice:

HQ:
Shas'El PR, MP, MT HW Stim. Injector - 107 Points

Eilte:
Crisis(1) PR, MP, MT - 62 Points

Crisis(2) PR, FB, MT, - 62 Points

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead MT, IC, DL, SMS FL - 150 Points

Broadside ASS, T/LPR - 90 Points

Total = 471 Points

The extra could be spent on a marker drone for the Shas'el.

Possible modifications:

Remove the broadside and give the hammerhead a railgun, I could then use the excess to feild a small squad of pathfinders.

Give the Helios unit Vectored retro thrusters (just in case) and possibly at the same time make the Shas'El into the Helios and give the Monat a fireknife combination.

I am alittle worried about the engagment range for the fusion blaster on the helios unit though.
Also does anyone know the toughness of a Chaos commander, can they be instant killed by a rail gun, if not then the points from the broadside (or railhead) might be better spent elsewere

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 06 Jul 2006, 03:59   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

if it is 400 points than isnt 471 going a tad over the limit?

Closed Thread