Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] SM take it on chin...1st M5 battle
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jul 2006, 13:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default [BatRep] SM take it on chin...1st M5 battle

1500 points on a forrested village board 4x6 with 50% coverage. Mission was cleanse.

Without much details, SM preditor and devistators on my right supporting a full squad of jump SM face off against Ionhead, DF mounted squad of FW, piranha, and 2 crisis. In center enemy vindicator and 2 tac squads with lascannons. On my left, he had a squad of 3 landspeeders and a squad with H bolter and plasma (command squad). My center was pathfinders, 1 squad of FW in DF. On my left HH, BS (starting point of Piranha). Stealth infiltrated to building in center and 1 x10 kroot in a small wood on my far far left.

game began with jump infantry and 1 tac squad moving forward along with demolisher. Preditor shot down the PF's DF (they were already dismounted), and a lascannon missed the BS. The landspeeders rushed up and shot down 4 kroot who didn't care enough to run. My first turn saw the demolisher immobilized, and the jump SM run (ganged up half the army and shot down 4 of them).

Turn 2 saw the speeders jump over the kroot trees and attempt to shoot up my DF that move to that flank (I had run the piranha away from certain death) with a shaken and a stunned result. One stealth was lascannons away to the boots. My turn saw the turning of the battle. On my left the railhead, FoF FWs, and crisis commander shot down all three landspeeders as the BS punched another hole in the vindicator (stunned). In the center the stealth and pathfinders shot down 3 tac marines; I now love PF with the sniper/TL combo. the other 3 PF lit the preditor and the Ionhead promptly missed at BS5 by rolling 3 "1". the regrouped jumper marines had surged forward again down a road only to be shot up by the piranha, its drones, the 2 crisis and a DS drone squad of 6. They were left with 2 SM who stood their ground. I move the detatched Piranha drones close to them during the assault phase in order to attract their attention. Forgot they jump

Turn 3 With the removal of the landspeeders, my left flank became a rush to get within shooting distance. the Railhead and BS started shooting individual SM since they had not clear shot across the village at the remaining SM vehicle. At this point the SM player was circling the wagons to preserve points and provide interlocking fires. He did kill off the piranha drones with the jump marines, but they were then killed off and both flanks were open.

There is no need to continue the play by play since the final score was SM lost 1275 to the Tau loss of 200+/- (mostly drones and a DF). A crushing victory. Let the research continue!

Wanax

Old 05 Jul 2006, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: [BatRep] SM take it on chin...1st M5 battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANAX of the drones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
There's a spell check button.
Too bad there isn't a DA ignore button. Anyway, the spell check causes termoil in my posts running sentenses together and deleting phrases.

Nice. You take the time to type up a battle report for the board's edification, and the first response you get is some snide, unconstructive comment such as that... Nicely done, buddy.

Look... Bat Reps are useful for sharing with the rest of us anecdotally what worked or didn't work in a particular battle. It's useful stuff, even losses. HOWEVER... Comments about spelling AREN'T particularly useful to anybody.

Question: By 'pathfinders with Sniper/TL', I take it you upgraded some of your Pathfinders to carry Rail Rifles and Target Locks... How many did you take in your Pathfinder squad, and could you go into a bit more detail about how you used them, and what exactly it was about them that gained your undying affection?
Old 05 Jul 2006, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas lyn
Question: By 'pathfinders with Sniper/TL', I take it you upgraded some of your Pathfinders to carry Rail Rifles and Target Locks... How many did you take in your Pathfinder squad, and could you go into a bit more detail about how you used them, and what exactly it was about them that gained your undying affection?
Sure. First I took 3 with sniper/TL combo. I also had 3 with carbine/ML. I place them centrally behind thier own DF which is landed. It is all good since they have 36" range.

Wanax

Tags fixed. - Khanaris
Old 06 Jul 2006, 02:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's good to post bat reps.

But yours is a little hard to follow, I gather you had 2 opponents bu i'm not sure and I can't tell which forces are yours and which are the opposing SM players.

Prolly space it out and make it a bit more obvious who ya are talking about.
Old 06 Jul 2006, 11:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharasiph

It's good to post bat reps.

But yours is a little hard to follow, I gather you had 2 opponents bu i'm not sure and I can't tell which forces are yours and which are the opposing SM players.

Prolly space it out and make it a bit more obvious who ya are talking about.
sorry I have very little time to post these days. I played Tau, opponant played SM. Wilco on the spacing.

Wanax
Old 06 Jul 2006, 16:44   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I cleared off a few posts in this thread. Reminding others about spelling and grammar is fine, but do it via PM if you don't have anything else to contribute to the thread. Wanax, you may want to send TO or mace a PM if the spell-checker is consistently screwing up your posts. It wouldn't be the first time we have had trouble with it.

At any rate, sounds like a good game. Tau can have trouble on dense tables, but you pulled it off admirably. I am glad to see Pathfinders making a good showing again.
Old 06 Jul 2006, 17:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the new PF stacking ML rules very much. It allows BS 5 for HH with 1 and 2 can stack to allow all else. I found that marking for FW (what I wanted to do) difficult since the PF are essentially stationary. However, my new trick is to park the DF in front of them as cover. I know it can explode, but chances are taken for the greater good. At least it won't get in the way

the RR are awsome popping SM in the open, and mine killed about 2 each over the corse of the game. I didn't mark for them, but it occured to me.

Still find the BS3 PF give me on average 3 lights every 2 turns, so I view them as gravy to a sniper unit rather than the other way around.

this is the thrid game I've run them in this configuration. They have been mauled once, but I think that as opponants learn fully how effective they are the end of their dominance will be at hand. Too bad they aren't on bikes

I am still working on the combat team theory of Tau play. I essentially pick 2 or 3 targets per turn and gang up on them. First are fast, then powerful, then ordinary targets. combining mounted FW, crisis and HH support is the most effective way to keep the initative and reduce targets via schwerpunkts. the PF work effectively here by marking hard targets for up to 3 attacks, and they add additional firepower via snipers at range. In the last 3 games (2xSM, 1xIG) I've managed to FoF at critical moments and loose no FW from return shots.

The heavy coverage board worked to my advantage, surprizingly, since upper floors provide a wider FOV. Most of the mistakes made by the SM player were in moving between buildings and around obsticles. For example, the vindicator moved to an intersection and took 2 railguns in side armor down a side street. Since it is a direct fire weapon, he had nothing to shoot at the rest of the game; he needed to be there to close down the left central avenue of approach, but with buildings blocking both left and right he was only able to cover a street 6" wide for 24". An area I then avoided All of my vehicles and suits began the game within buildings or ruins since there is no penalty for jumping/flying from a ruin. They caused the SM player to set up oriented on these buildings, none of which I defended or remained in after turn 1.

Overall, a good game.

Wanax
Closed Thread