Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army Critique
Closed Thread
Old 08 Dec 2004, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Army Critique

Hey,

I just joined the forums and have been playing warhammer for four years and ive just started playing tau.

ive created this army list im planning on using. any advice welcomed.

HQ:
Ethereal w/Drone controller w/2 Shield Drones: 82
Total: 82

Elites:
3 Crisis suits, 2 w/Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod and Multi-tracker, 1 w/Drone Controller w/2 shield drones and Plasma Rifle: 208

Total: 208

Troops:
Fire Warriors, 12, Bonded, w/Shas置i w/markerlight: 150
Total: 600

Fast Attack:
None

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead w/Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons, 2 Seeker Missiles, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, Disruption Pod, target lock, Blacksun filter: 180

Hammerhead w/Rail gun w/2 burst cannons, 2 seeker missiles, multi-tracker, decoy launchers, disruption pod, target lock, Blacksun filter: 200

2 Broadsides w/Drone Controllers and 2 Shield Drones each: 204
Total: 584

TOTAL: 1474

also, a question. does the fifty point rule for wargear also apply to vehicles or just characters?

Thanks,
Grimvail
Old 09 Dec 2004, 00:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default Re: Army Critique

Hmmm. you seem to have 8 shield drones, which, all by themselves, come to 160 points. It seems to me that trimming that number would be in your best interest. Great job on outfiitting the hammerheads, but you might want to give your shas'ui fire warriors some hard-wired target locks (you can do that).

Example situation; Hey, look; a chimera. My shas'ui uses his markerlight, and it hits, the missile blows up the chimera, and yadda yadda etc... meanwhile, the 11 pulse rifle shots that might have been shooting the nearby gaurd go to waste. Target locks come in handy.

It also seems to me that you have A LOT of big guns. Good!

Unfortunately, where are the devilfish? If your deployment zone becomes overrun, you will lose your fire warriors; ALL of them in most situations. devilfish can evac your squads to safety, or use the "scoot and shoot" tactic;

step one; get devilfish filled with 12 fire warriors
step two; move said devilfish within 12" of enemy
step three; unload the fire warriors, and 24 shots into the enemy.

With hammerheads backing up your warriors on a flank move, you're golden. Especially with long range broadside or crisis support to pop heavies, there's not gonna be a whole lot left when the dust settles.

hope that helps and bty, for a tau player just starting out, this is one of the best lists I've seen
Old 09 Dec 2004, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

oh, and the 50point rule. it would seem strange to me that a grav tank would be limited in it's upgrades because it took seeker missiles, but the entry clearly states that "No model may have more than 50 points of equipment from the armoury". Thus, the limit stands for tanks.
And before anyone corrects me, yes, 8 shield drones are really 120 points. Sorry for the error :-[
Old 09 Dec 2004, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to JarredHTG

not a bad list, definetly take the advice on the target locks. As for the shield drones, Ditch the ones on the Ethereal, the new rules for targeting an independent character means he shouldn't need them. In the crisis squad however you need to go all or nothing like in the broadsides squad. The 4th edition errata forces drones to obey the majority rules despite what the codex says. Therefore your first casualty in that squad will be a suit as it stands now. The amount of heavy support is a little over the top for 1500 points. But thats just preference.
Old 09 Dec 2004, 02:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Tau Commander Send a message via MSN to Tau Commander

add some carbines and kroot and maybe a fish. PF's are also good since you have 2 twin linked railguns and another regulat. if you decide to take the ion cannnon which is sometimes a good id reccomend a smarty missle sytem to balance. Stealth suits also are useful

want a sig or avatar like mine? http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=29403.0 request there and i'll do w/e you want
i used to be Tau_va back in the day o_0
Old 09 Dec 2004, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok, heres the revised list. i took out the shields on the ethereal and crisis suits and left them on the broadsides and gave each firewarrior shasui a target lock. i couldnt squeeze enough points for a devilfish for a firewarrior squad without doing some serious revision, although in open to anything that might do that. i avoided devilfish because ive heard alot about how transports are not as useful as they once were (although this might be an exception). i considered taking out the braodsides alltogether and either taking another hammerhead for some serious mobile firepower or investing in two devilfishes.

anyway, heres the revised list.

HQ:
Ethereal: 50
Total: 50

Elites:
3 Crisis suits w/Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod and Multi-tracker: 195

Troops:
Fire Warriors, 12, Bonded, w/Shas置i w/markerlight and target lock: 157
Total: 628

Fast Attack:
None

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead w/Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons, 2 Seeker Missiles, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, Disruption Pod, target lock, Blacksun filter: 180

Hammerhead w/Rail gun w/2 burst cannons, 2 seeker missiles, multi-tracker, decoy launchers, disruption pod, target lock, Blacksun filter: 200

TOTAL: 1443

Old 09 Dec 2004, 02:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

taking out the broadsides would depend upon your battle strategy;
do you want to form a strong, less mobile, firebase and try to blast the enemy into last week
or do you want to fire on the run, sacrificing raw firepower for mobility and the chance to react to enemy assaults

If you want to move more, take them out. But then you'd probably want to replace the ion cannon, and, well, make other army revisions too.

On another thought, is this a general list or one geared against a specific foe?
Old 09 Dec 2004, 05:04   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

im trying to make this as versitile as possible by taking lots of FWs, mainly because the tau players ive talked to all say never underestimate the strength of lots of fire warrios so as not to get creamed by nids, orks, or other mass armies.
Old 09 Dec 2004, 19:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like your overall list, it seems sound as an all purpose army.
I think your waisting point on the bonding though. Youve alredy given the FWs a shas'ui's to give them LD8, and have an etherial for re-rolling morel check, so your LD overall should be quite strong. You might want to consider replacing the bonding knifes with pulse grenads, which i think would be more usefull.
You could also drop one FW Shas'ui if you join an etherial to the squad. With only 4 seeker missles, i dont think 4 marklights (in FW squads) is that cost effective.
Personally id try to fit in some more mobile units, or infultrators, but thats just my preferance.
Old 09 Dec 2004, 19:57   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i was thinking about stealth suits, since in a game where i used a friends army they came in handy, but i think id keep the crisis for mobility and firepower. heres the list with some mobility put in and unnecessary costs taken out. (im really trying to perfect this one ;D)

HQ:
Ethereal: 50
Total: 50

Elites:
3 Crisis suits w/Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod and Multi-tracker: 195

Troops:
Fire Warriors, 12, w/Shas置i, 6 men with carbine, devilfish w/decoy launchers, disruption pod, 1 seeker missile: 230
Fire Warriors, 12, w/Shas置i: 130
Fire Warriors, 12, w/Shas置i w/markerlight and target lock: 147
Fire Warriors, 12, w/Shas置i w/markerlight and target lock: 147
Total: 654

Fast Attack:
None

Heavy Support:

TOTAL: 1496

btw thanks for all the advice its greatly appreciated.
Closed Thread