Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Twinlinking... necessary?
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jun 2006, 03:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Twinlinking... necessary?

Having constructed several crisis suits (no interchangeable weaponry) with twinlinked weapons, I'm starting to wonder about the utility of doing so.

The common configuration for a crisis, so I've heard, is the fireknife (Plas, Miss, Multi-Tkr). Since Twinlinking negates the purpose of a multitracker, is there any purpose in taking a twinlinked weapon system at all, anymore?

Of the twinlinked monsters I have, I have two Dethrains (2x Missile pod), and a Sunforge (2x Fusion). Should I dismiss these suits as useless now or do they have yet some utility?

I also have a Helios (TL Plas, Fus), which might be useless now I suppose, since it's either one or the other...

Just curious.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 03:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi
Default Re: Twinlinking...anytime necissary?

TLing is very useful if you're looking for more reliability. On their own our elites (namely Crisis) are rather in-accurate. I commonly use TL Plasma and have a very nice amount of success with it. If you're looking for a more rounded suit then TLing might not be the best idea because usually (unless using a team leader or 'vre) like you said, the multi-tracker is useless. But if you're looking for a specialized deep-striker or heavy infantry killer than TLing might be a good route. Now if you're going to be using some kind of augmentation such as markers, then running a more rounded suit won't hurt so badly. But that is a topic for a different thread. In short, highly specialized =TLed, rounded = Multi-tracker.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Old 30 Jun 2006, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Low volume, specialized weaponry really needs to hit if at all possible. Your crisis weaponry should be as accurate as you can make it.

I never use fireknives unless I plan to take lots of markerlights. Sometimes I take Plasma, Missiles, Targetting Array - rarely do both guns need to fire at the same target, and I'd rather they were simply hitting more often than throwing ineffective shots around.

Deathrains are excellent suits, for 53 points you can add a targetting array and have a devastating tank hunter. The sunforge is more specialized, dependent on deepstrike, but when it works it is a beautiful thing. Keep the deathrains if you face light vehicles every so often. Keep the sunforge if you like playing with it.

And get some magnets! =p
Old 30 Jun 2006, 03:56   #4 (permalink)
Kroot eat Tau

OMG i love twin linking, its so reliable.

i usta run fireknives and found them unreliable at best. then i looked at it this way, in a tau army we have no "ultimate unit to take on anything" our entire army works as a team, and with fireknives the crisis suits werent doing either of there jobs well (killing MEQs/popping tanks) but if u split up the work into different groups such as TL Missle pods and TL plasma ( i give em targetting arrrays and love it) then those to seperate units can be relied on to do the job given to them.

now if u had a group of fireknives u save points but since they arent reliable they probably take twice as much time trying to do their 2 jobs as the 2 twinlinked groups who have done their job and now can support the rest of the army, which allows twin linking suits to make up their points and then some.

Old 30 Jun 2006, 04:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I must admit most of my Tau education from the internet comes from Forums.Relicnews. The Tau "Expert" there is a guy by the name of Piccolo, and everyone turns to him for advice.

He reccomends the Fireknife as the only crisis suit you'll ever need, among other things. He also held the harsh rule to never bond- as well as never twinlink with one exception. His tactica is http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=59114

Since then I've done a lot of experimenting myself, and don't usually take to heart what he says. Still, was pondering the utility of my TLed suits, and wondering if they'd ever see combat again. Thanks for the advice all.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 06:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Bonding and twin linking are very useful things when used right. That guy needs smacked over the head with an over sized trout... I dont know why I said that.

Anwyay regardless of my mentality at 2 AM twin linking is very useful. The Fireknife is versatile where as something like the Deathrain is reliable. Versatility is great in many situations but there are also plenty of times where something really needs to be reliable. A Deathrain is reliable. I now run 3 and love the things. Accurate fire can really come in handy and with a specialized suite like the Deathrain a multi tracker really isnt necessary. For configurations where a multi tracker is useful such as TL Plasma and a Fusion then a shas'vre, el or o can get a hard wired version and shas'ui team leaders can too. A little care in making your suits can give you a lot of options even when using twin linked weapons.

Old 30 Jun 2006, 06:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Deathrains are pretty cheap. Twinlinked missile pods and a BSF (some say flamer) gets you two very accurate transport-busting shots with good range on a JSJ chassis.

Otherwise though... Twinlinking's not necessarily the best option.

Fireknives with Target arrays, for example, will have better accuracy on both weapons, but by a smaller margin than if just one was twinlinked. On a leader or commander this can be added to a multitracker too.

Twin-linking definitely has its uses on regular XV8's (the improvement is far smaller for commanders, I wouldn't reccomend it), but always remember that the extra hardpoint could instead be used for a targetting array, multitracker (if you can't hardwire them), or any other support system like shield generators.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 06:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree with what everyone here has to say about twin-linking. It can really make your suits reliable. I now never enter a game without a squad of Deathrains.

I'm kind of confused with your problem about the multi-tracker. You shouldn't have a multi-tracker on twin-linked suits. Mainly I'm asking why is negating the purpose of the a multi-tracker by taking twin-linked weapons, making you assume that your suits are useless? Don't give them a multi-tracker, give them targetting arrays or other cool stuff, heck give the sunforge a flamer for its last hardpoint.

I guess I don't understand the question, because it sounds like you're saying every suit needs a multi-tracker.

On the Fireknife subject, I used them for a while but I realized that specialization is the way to go. My suits have specific targets and excel at killing them, rather than the lackluster effects Fireknives gave me. It's really up to preference and some people rave about them, but I think if you have enough suits, specialization is cheaper and more efficient.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 06:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Me? I didn't say that, did I?

I said it was useless to bring a Multitracker on twinlinked suits because that negates the purpose, so why take it? Now that we have targeting arrays of course, this seems to be the best option. Hardwired drone controller can provide sheilds if necissary.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 06:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well isn't obvious that a multi-tracker is a terrible choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehound
Since Twinlinking negates the purpose of a multitracker, is there any purpose in taking a twinlinked weapon system at all, anymore?
That question assumes that every suit needs (or rather should) have a multi-tracker and then choose weapons based on that choice. Then again maybe I misunderstood you because I thought by twinlined weapon system, you meant the actual weapons...not the support system which I think you are now making reference to...

I guess if you didn't mean no twin-linking and rather meant the support system, then the question isn't that silly. Then again you always need another support system (or weapon) so why not take a cheap one (blacksun filter).