Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vespids or sniper drones?
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vespids or sniper drones?

What do you reckon is better value for killing space marines? Vespids or Sniper drones?
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Vespids or sniper drones?

that an easy one sniper drones all the way 9 snipers drones will destroy SM

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Vespid have AP3. Any shot they land vaporizes a space marine where he stands. You also get up to 12 of them. They have Fleet. They have a poor save, but their gun is an assault weapon. They have jetback movement (12 inches per turn).

You only have four rail rifle sniper drones and they're heavy- if something is comming at them (say, bikes....) they won't get to fire during the game.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

There's no ''who's better.'' It depends on how you play. Vespids are for a player who likes to play more aggressively, and Sniper Drones are for someone who like to play more defensively (and more safely).

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I see sniper drones as being put in high places behind friendly lines. It's perfect for perfect Tau terrain: Open feilds and deserts. Without cover problems the rail rifles excel, cause pinning, and have a stealth feild to boot. They're all heavy so they need to stay where they're at, but then again so are markerlights and most sniper rifles anyway. Only shame is RRs don't count as sniper rifles.

Vespid on the other hand are incredibly mobile. They can follow crisis suits around the battlefield and fleet to hotspots if necissary. They aren't terrific assaulters, but they have a mean gun that causes much pain as long as they aren't getting shot at. A lot of people frown on their vulnerability and poor save (5+), but this isn't much of a problem if they're flying to the rescue to save a flank from getting the assault next turn. And besides, Tau are not well known for their saves anyway- just their powerful weapons.

The question is where are you going and how are you fighting? In a cityfight battle Vespid will rule, because they can rely on the 4+ cover save and still land the hurt on the enemy. Sniper teams however, since they can't see six inches though/out of buildings (area terrain in my store), need to have particular placement in order to be effective- especially at gamma level.

In open plains where theres little cover and much desert, vespid will need to stay close to another unit or become a meat sheild for another unit themselves- not a happy proposition since you're wasting that Ap3 gun. Stick them by other firewarriors, preferably behind them, but in range to assist where need be is the only way I can see them working. Sniper drones, on the other hand, can be placed on your end of the table and hit pretty much any target that comes to bear- including vehicles.

So it all depends on where you are, where you're going, and what you're doing.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:35   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i say sniper drones are the best for anything but cityfight. i used them against necrons once [a full unit of 9] and killed 20 necron warriors in 3 turns. you also have to factor in the fact that sniper drones have stealth generators, protecting them from incoming fire and 3 networked markerlights from the spotters. race the BS to 5 and watch how many space marines will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehound
Vespid have AP3. Any shot they land vaporizes a space marine where he stands. You also get up to 12 of them. They have Fleet. They have a poor save, but their gun is an assault weapon. They have jetback movement (12 inches per turn).

You only have four rail rifle sniper drones and they're heavy- if something is comming at them (say, bikes....) they won't get to fire during the game.
first of all, you can have up to nine sniper drones. secondly, vespids die really fast to bolter fire as it negates their save. i lost a squad of 10 vespids in one turn due to enemy shooting.

and the sniper drones will at least get one round of shooting before the enemy assaults them. even against bikes.

so here's my verdict as an experienced player who has used both units at full strength:

vespids are for cityfight and sniper drones are for everything else.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:38   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

in my personal experiences the Sniper drones are better for three reasons.
1)they get plenty of ashots off before getting assualted
2)they counts a being in cover for assualt purposes (first turn)
3)i havent used Vespids yet

that being said i am having a bit of a problem working them into my lists all of the time and am thinking about playtesting them against a noob player (once i buy a new codex, some unworthy bastard stole mine) and so far all i can say about them is i love the models and the guns...

Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

On many of the boards I play there is a lot of area terrain... and since sniper teams come with only three drones to begin with (and the bits for other drones aren't in...) vespid, if anything, is going to be the route I'm going to take.

Cites of death is kicking off at my store and it seems to be quite popular, and the popular terrains happen to be jungle, forest, city and swamp. I hardly play on desert anymore and have no desire to.

All that said, Vespid are going to be my choice. I just don't see much use in the sniper drone team. Perhaps someday, just not now.

Only problem is, I need a full squad of vespid to be effective.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I suppose it depends on how good your enemies are at using cover, but it would seem to me at first glance, norsehound, that Sniper drones would be more effective when parked in cover. Combine the difficult terrain test to get to them, their stealth field, and the fact that it's only 4 models, and your opponent might just look elsewhere, wheras vespid would be shot on sight. I suppose with their Jump pack rules, Vespids are good at moving through terrain and getting cover saves, but meh, it was a though.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 02:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm just remembering the one time I used Eldar rangers in cityfight.

Though they were on the highest point on the building, they were unable to shoot anything for the entire game because they could not see the six inches needed to clear the building. As a result, they fired nothing.

And if cover were that reliable my kroot would have no problem. I just see anything- including sniper drones- as priorety targets that my enemy rushes to annialate.

I dunno- maybe someday I'll buy them and give them a whirl. I wouldn't have been so dissapointed if they were real sniper weapons instead of just more rail rifles.

And I have seen vespid in action and the carnage they can wreak when in the right hands.