Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about markerlights and rail rifles.
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jun 2006, 21:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Question about markerlights and rail rifles.

if i have two squads of pathfinders and both squads have 2 rail rifles in it i fire with one squad markerlight first can i wait to fire the rail rifles after i fire the other squads marklights so i can give the +1 bs to the other squads rail rifles ??

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 29 Jun 2006, 21:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn
Default Re: ? about markerlights and rail rifles

So long as it's two squads, absolutely. If you want to spon within a unit, the only workaround is marker drones.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

No, you can't do that. All firing in any squad is conducted simultaneously and must be finished before moving to another squad.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
if i have two squads of pathfinders and both squads have 2 rail rifles in it i fire with one squad markerlight first can i wait to fire the rail rifles after i fire the other squads marklights so i can give the +1 bs to the other squads rail rifles ??
Frank,

Typically to get the most out of your lights and your rifles, you need to make a "chain" and the chain always needs to start somewhere. The first set of railrifles and markerlights in a pathfinder team will fire, but unless you had a light prior to that, the rifles will not be guided. So the only way to get your two pathfinder teams forming their chain, is to give them a "starting point."

The start the chain, use your mandatory firewarriors to field a markerlight. That's a 50% chance to "start."
Other units work too. Whatever you want. Anything but the pathfinders.

Two lights will generally be enough on average to start it all.

You get a hit. Then you use your first pathfinder team. You use that light to guide the railrifles up to BS4. The markerlights in the squad are not benefited. But you land more lights. Then you use those lights to guide other units, including your next pathfinder team's railrifles, to get them up to BS4 or 5 as well, and other units if you have spare lights. Your next set of lights left over are used for your Ion Cannons or anything else you're using to fire at that same squad. And thus you form a chain until each light is used. Start with a light. Fire guns. End with lights if you must, but try to use each one to do more and more each time.

Cheers!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:49   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Question about markerlights and rail rifles.

Man, I hate to disagree with Mal, but I gotta on this one.

Save your lights for units with lots of firepower. Stealth teams, large vespid squads, fire warriors, 3-model crisis teams with high output, Ion Heads firing everything at a single target (including BCs or SMS), like that.

I'd never consider using a markerlight to illuminate a target for a rail rifle or two.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauberAlles
Man, I hate to disagree with Mal, but I gotta on this one.

Save your lights for units with lots of firepower. Stealth teams, large vespid squads, fire warriors, 3-model crisis teams with high output, Ion Heads firing everything at a single target (including BCs or SMS), like that.

I'd never consider using a markerlight to illuminate a target for a rail rifle or two.
Heya,

Oh don't get me wrong. General markerlight use should definitely guide more than just two or three guns from a list. But the question that Frank posted was to be able to guide the rifles in his list from the pathfinders, both teams--without losing rifle shots that were unguided. Hence the response.

However, remember. All it takes is one light to increase the BS power of a whole unit (and when it comes to hammerheads, one light = maximum BS level). Having one light which benefits three rifles (the equivalent of a natural Ion Cannon if you are shooting some marines... literally) is far from a waste. From there, get more markerlight hits (at the normal BS value of course; lights don't benefit lights). As posted, it's not about lights in general. It's about using the lights you have, with the process of railrifles in pathfinders, which isn't used so often in discussions. And it was noted because the rifles don't use the lights from the pathfinder teams that they originated from. So in order to get the most out of your rifles, since you bothered taking them for a reason--is to attempt to start a light chain. Otherwise, you can just leave it to lady luck to hit on a 4+ of course.

Cheers!
Old 30 Jun 2006, 00:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Then again if everyone has networked markerlight drones, they can shoot AND fire from the same unit!

Until then, best bet is to markerlight each other's targets.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 03:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, networked markerlights are an exception to the rule that all firing is simultaneous. They obviously must fire before the rest of their squad.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 06:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

BUT the squad still fires immediately after. Ie; it gets resolved first and can be used by the same squad if it hits, but you can't switch to another squad and fire before resolving this one's.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 14:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, exactly right.
Closed Thread