Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My tau 'army'
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jun 2006, 00:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default My tau 'army'

Currently i only own one crisis battlesuit and 12 firewarriors (One doesn't have a head, stupid cat.) This makes up my very core force. Soon i will be getting another squad of fire warriors and a commander. This will give me 24 fire warriors (Im going to have three squads of eight, i think.) One elite OR body guard and a commander, where do i go from here?
Old 29 Jun 2006, 01:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: My tau 'army'

Assuming you do the intelligent thing and leave your Commander as an IC (read: field suit #2 as an Elite), then you'll have a nice sized force for small games. From there, things to consider are:
  • Tankbusting; Broadside or Hammerhead.
  • Mobility; Devilfish or Pihrana.

That can beef up your force further, and makes sure you have all bases covered.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Try buying some heavy support like a hammerhead or broadside or maybe some fast attack like a pathfinder squad and maybe a piranha.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 02:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh yes, i forgot. My play style is mech, so broadsides are a no-go. Im interested in two railheads and a skyray for my heavy support, two teams of pathfinders and a couple piranahs (Piranahs as one team) as fast attack. Also, in the new codex, are all the kroot (hounds etc.) only a troop choice, or are they still heavy support etc?
Old 29 Jun 2006, 02:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you have the Codex, it should be fairly obvious... Hounds and Ox are upgrades to troop choices.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 04:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Kerwynn

if your interested in another crisis and fire warriors and maybe stealth suits of a devilfish tickles your pickle then i would grab the new battleforce, you'll save a bit of dough that you would otherwise spend buying everything individually
Old 29 Jun 2006, 16:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

It depends what kinda of Tau Force you want to run and how you want to or your ideas will come to you but i would by 1 or 2 more crisis xv8 my self if i were you
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:21   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I am close to being in the same boat as you Sarnas. I just started putting together my Tau force. My aim is to assemble a viable 1000 point army first with which to play with. After that the sky is the limit on what I decided to purchase.

With that in mind with your 2 XV8s and 24 warriors I would recommend a Hammerhead. I love the Tau fast attack options, but I do not see them as critical as a heavy attack option to engage enemy armor, thus a Hammerhead or Broadsides would be the order of the day. Since you mentioned you favor Mech Tau (I assume you have Devilfish for those Fire Warriors) I would recommend a Hammerhead. After that, some stealth suits, XV8s, or piranhas might be in order. But, for your next purchase I would recommend a Hammerhead. After that go with whatever strikes your fancy.

I too favor Mech Tau, so for now so I choose a Railhead for my next purchase after my Commander, 24 Fire Warriors and Two Devilfish.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 16:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Considering the prices involved, and my low income, i have decided to play hybrid until i get a better job, at which point i am switching to mech. I do not have any Develfish's as of now, so my troops are pretty much static, but then i have my crisis suit, so i am hybrid i guess. Soon i will be getting those warriors, and then a railhead i guess.