Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech tau? Better than we think in Escalation?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jun 2006, 01:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Mech tau? Better than we think in Escalation?

Is it just me or do mech tau do better in escalation missions than one would expect of a heavily mechanised force. I've always thought a mech tau list would work well in that kinda situation, but today proved my theory correct.

Heres what happened. The only units that started on the table for me were my 6 man stealth team and my 10 man "nuissance kroot" unit. This meant that he would have to deploy his entire army before I deployed anything.

So I deploy the kroot in some nice woods off on a flank and the stealths behind a bit of cover toward the centre of the table. His only real option was to do a sort of "general advance" where all units went full steam ahead. Meanwhile I brought all my stuff in one one flank and had the stealths back up to meet them. The Kroot ran off the table on turn 2, but had worked very well to lure his troops out of position, plus the stealths are notoriously difficult to engage effectively. So now any units over on the other flank that had gone after the kroot were caught way out of position, while the other flank had to fight 90% of my army somewhat short handed.

Also, when your skimmers come in from reserve as opposed to starting on the table, you dont have to worry about keeping them behind cover as much since you can move them on over 6" (cover is still useful if you dont want a lascannon taking pot shots at you though.

Of course reserve rolls could screw all this up, but even if you only get a couple units on the table in the second turn or so its a hell of a lot easier to hide 2 tanks than it is to hide 5 or 6!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Mech tau? Better than we think in Escalation?

MechTau is amazing in escalation. It's great not to deploy anything. Just crush a flank on the second and third turn. If hammerehads won't come on in the second turn, they will in the 3rd turn. Or just take identical units. Makes it not so bad when the army doesn't show up.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 03:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Stealths can't deploy in escalation - they have jetpacks. Infiltration does not override that.

I find that it can go either way. Tau really do not have massive firepower, and I often miss the few turns of long range bombardment. The ability to react so thoroughly to the opponent's plan though can be godlike... if your opponent makes it so. They can either be thrown off balance, or use the time to set up all sorts of traps and dilemmas for you.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 03:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Stealths can't deploy in escalation - they have jetpacks. Infiltration does not override that.
Actually this was clarified, and they do, unless I missed a memo
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 03:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Actually this was clarified, and they do, unless I missed a memo
Hes right. It wasnt in a PDF or anything, but they used it at the US GTs so that should be good enough.

EDIT: Ok the link didnt work. Just go to the US events forum on the GW site and look for the post labelled "GT FAQs" or something like that. It should be in there
Quote:
Old 28 Jun 2006, 03:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The rulebook says that Stealths cannot deploy in missions that use Escalation. Please re-read the description of Infiltrate. It clearly states that the Infiltrate special ability does not allow you to deploy in situations where you otherwise would not be allowed to. However, last year, the US GT released a GT-specific FAQ which allowed Infiltrators to deploy in Escalation missions. Any game that is not part of the US GT is not goverened by that FAQ.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 28 Jun 2006, 04:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

See, always been one to interperet the spirit of the rules. And to me that FAQ shows a clear intent to have infiltrating units like stealths start in escalation. Now I understand that some people are more inclined to go by the straight letter of things and I can live with that (at least up until it becomes blatant rules lawyering, but thats a rant for another time), but I dont believe that GW would alter their rules in an FAQ just for one tournament, especially one like a GT.

So yeah, the case can be argued, but I will point to the FAQ as a sort of "statement of intent" and since I believe in interpereting the spirit of the rules, I go by this.
Quote:
Closed Thread