Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Convince me to play again and help me make my army!
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jun 2006, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Convince me to play again and help me make my army!

Hello, this is my first post to the board and I hope to be posting more soon. I stopped playing 40k about 5 or 6 years ago. I played an eldar army relying heavily on dark reapers and star cannons. After the Tau were released I bought a couple of models and was going to start an army, but never went through with it due to the shop I played in closing down.

Lately a new place has opened up near my house which looks utterly fantastic, with more inventory and tables then the actually games workshop store in AZ.

I am thinking of starting to play again but it is really hard to get motivated with all the time it is going to take to paint my army and the funds it costs to purchase one. I have noticed that you can find most items very cheap on eBay, which is probably the way I will have to go, since I can't justify purchasing a $50 hardcover rulebook and a $20 codex full price after having to purchase the old codex and old rulebook >

Anyway, I am really looking to make an army like my last eldar army. The reason the Tau appealed to me is because the entire objective of this army seemed to be like how I played my eldar army.

I currently have 1 box of Kroot, a kroot shaper, an ethereal, 3 crises suits, 1 broadside, and 1 box of fire warriors (I think I have lost about 4 of the models so I will have to purchase more)

What kind of models should I still be purchasing to create a good army for about 1000 points. My play style is more of a distract the enemy with cheap units and blow them away from afar, then get into assault to finish them off.

I am up to any suggestions, but I really don't like using tanks or transports, whenever I used them in my last army I always lost. I am up for using small skimmers however. I am just looking at what units I need to expand my army, and how to do it cheaply.

I am thinking about buying some stealth suits and maybe sniper drones, but other than that I have no idea what to purchase, or how to outfit my army.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Kerwynn
Default Re: Convince me to play again and help me make my army!

Hey good to see you getting back into 40k, i myself only just started again last week after a 3 year break ;D

With your army if you want to expand may i suggest another unit of fire warriors (they are the fire base for tau), stealth suits are a good idea and sniper drones arent bad. People usually like to take a hammerhead, yes they are a tank but they offer submunition ordinance blasting which is great against weaker troops.

Quote:
My play style is more of a distract the enemy with cheap units and blow them away from afar, then get into assault to finish them off.
Tau are unfortunately not the best in assault. The only thing i could suggest for assault would be kroot, they would be used as a distraction or a last minute counter assault if your in a really bad way.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmn...

well, you don't necissarily have to shell out 50$ for the hardback rulebook...

It might not be worth it, but the battle of Maccrage box set comes with a small rulebook, templates, redsticks, and two squads of Space marines and a gaggle of 'nids. This is how I got my start- and I immediately defected to the tau afterwards.

The Tau aren't going to get a change anytime soon since they just got a new codex... and if your store allows you to look at the Tau codex you can play with it beside you until you have enough money to buy it (The store here in stoneridge- the smallest in the U.S.- allows players to do this). The beginner battles here also had Tau V. Marines most of the time, and I got into the game by playing on the Tau side.

As for expenses, I run off allowance money personally and most of my army was bought around christmastime when I actually held a job. That said, the battleforces are getting re-priced at 90$ a box soon, and the intention behind these kits is essentially to have a starter box for your army. The Tau box currently IS 90$, and comes with everything you need to get a start except the Codex. You have your two troops choices (Kroot and Firewarriors), An HQ (Crisis suit), Elites (Stealth team), and a transport (Devilfish).

With this, you could augment what you have presently and shape it into a fighting force. With the devilfish you can perform the Fish of Fury- which is what we Tau used before the new codex- and there are plenty of configurations you can make for your commander even without the special weapons that are available in the commander box.

Hope this helps. I also play Eldar too.... and THEY are getting a revamp this October.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehound
Hope this helps. I also play Eldar too.... and THEY are getting a revamp this October.
I would love to play eldar again except I would have to pretty much repurchase everything I originally had, I live in AZ and some models have been warped, painted horrificly, or have just plain broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwynn
Tau are unfortunately not the best in assault. The only thing i could suggest for assault would be kroot, they would be used as a distraction or a last minute counter assault if your in a really bad way.
Well it wasn't that I really assualted to finish them off, it was more of I had a squad of striking scorpians that were always a nuisance for my enemy. Mostly I played marine players and the wraithlord and darkreapers, coupled with another starcannon on the vyper always destroyed them >

Also, I don't have my codex with me (currently in Japan), what kind of ordinance does the hammer head have?
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hammerheads come with two options for shots, and the beautiful thing is you can decide which one per turn.

Regulalry they have a rail gun slug that can pretty much KO anything on the board if it hits. And if not...well...it'll leave a bruise.

The hammerhead's second rail rifle option is a large ordinance blast marker that doesn't scatter. Recommended for use against swarmers- usually nids, but also works well against MEQ.

The hammerhead can also come with an ion cannon- pretty good for roasting marines and has plenty of shots per turn. Problem is it's tank-mounted, but it still has three shots and decent range. Many prefer the Railgun over this because of the Railgun's greater utility.

Kroot can still be a neuscance if played effectively. They're armed with essentially bolters, and are good on the charge. When placed in woods (their native surroundings), they see and shoot twice as far normally. Think of hiding them in the woods and getting your enemy to try to slog through cover, all the while getting shot at. Add hounds to this mix and you have, in theory, a distraction force with teef.

And don't give up just yet on the Eldar- a lot of the reissues are being in plastic. Just this past White Dwarf we were given a preview of the new support platform- all in plastic and cheaper than the metal one(s).
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It sounds like the Hammerhead would be good to couple with a broadside. Using the twin link rail-gun for tanks, and then using the hammerhead to kill off infantry quickly. Would that be a good strategy or is there something that I am missing?

I will take a look at the eldar army once they get revamped, maybe there will be some stuff to make me want to play them again. My old army basically consisted of Avatar, Dire Avengers, Guardians, Striking Scorpians,Vyper, Wraithlord, Dark reapers. When I stuck to that formula and only mixed it up a little (heavy weapons platforms) I was usually unstoppable. I had problems when I started to add a falcon or jetbikes.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Kerwynn

yeh you got the idea ;D

Broadside are brilliant at anti-tank because they are twin-lined and the hammer for sweeping up the the little men with its ordinance.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 03:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have two broadsides (each one with a forgeworld kill- a T-hawk and Titan heh) but hardly use them anymore in combat. Broadsides' only utility really is anti-tank, and that's pretty much their only function: going after single models (because of the twin-link ability).

Hammerheads on the other hand with their railguns are what I call the 'wrench' of the army- it is a tool with multiple uses (and hurts when it hits). It is anti-vehicle AND Anti-swarm, and the main gun does fairly well in each of these roles. The only problem with the main gun is when it misses, and by then you need some good dice.

Tau have only three heavy support choices- so choose those units wisely. If you do take the broadisdies I reccomend taking the gryo-stabilizers as well- gives them the slow and purposeful movement (Allows them to move even when they have heavy weapons, just not a full 6in.)

As for your eldar- that's more than I have at least! I still say you should take a look at the Eldar when they are revamped. Since you have the minis, it's not like they're going to go running off anywhere on thier own...unless you wanted to sell them on E-bay to get money for your Tau force. And it's a rare thing when a mini is discontinued- I know an eldar player who still uses 3rd ed Guardians and they're still legal.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 03:32   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehound
As for your eldar- that's more than I have at least! I still say you should take a look at the Eldar when they are revamped. Since you have the minis, it's not like they're going to go running off anywhere on thier own...unless you wanted to sell them on E-bay to get money for your Tau force. And it's a rare thing when a mini is discontinued- I know an eldar player who still uses 3rd ed Guardians and they're still legal.
Yeah but like I said before, most of my models are broken or ruined. Pretty much the only models that could still be used would be any of my metal models. Dire avengers, wraithlord, SS. I still have some other models I never really used much, when I think about it my army was a lot bigger then I thought it was. The problem was when I started playing I was only around 13, so I didn't really know what I was doing.

As for the broadsides, I think leaving at least 1 in the army is a good idea, even if it is just a tank killer it seems to be one of those models that just screams "KILL ME FIRST", which in some ways could be good.
Closed Thread