Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tetra and Pirhana Can I use them officially?
Closed Thread
Old 08 Dec 2004, 01:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Tetra and Pirhana Can I use them officially?

Ok so my main quiry is if I can use the Tetra and Pirhana officially? Ya know in tournaments and at GW stores. Cause If I am going to spend the money I want to be able to make use of it.

Second question is are they worth it? Do they actually help or do they just make ya look cool?

EDITE: Ok since I lack tanks my style so far has been to set up in really good positions and out gun the enemy with minimal movements.

Old 08 Dec 2004, 01:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Tau Commander Send a message via MSN to Tau Commander
Default Re: Tetra and Pirhana Can I use them officially?

im not sure about tournaments but FW models work like this. you can play them but you have to use there rules and your opponent must agree on letting you use them. and on the useful part it all depends on your style of play. i dont believe they can be played in tournies

want a sig or avatar like mine? http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=29403.0 request there and i'll do w/e you want
i used to be Tau_va back in the day o_0
Old 08 Dec 2004, 03:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Unless its in a FW or GW book it means nothing, people may let you play it for fun but if you win they wount play it again or write off your win because of new unit.

Dont bother untill it hits print, then just make your own modle for it.
Old 08 Dec 2004, 13:15   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Considering it won't be "in print" until late 2005, you'd be waiting a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Dec 2004, 18:23   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Pyro_ike

Whether they're worth it really depends on how you use them... For Tetras, they're basically faster pathfinders that can fly out 12", lay down a markerlight, and pop off a couple of pulse shots if the enemy's in range. Also, the built-in disruption pod lowers enemy range, so at the right range they'll avoid most infantry fire.

The Pirhana... I might use it as an assault-blocker, speeding up to lay some fire into the enemy squad, possibly pin, and tempt them to assault it... if you're in pulse rifle range, your FWs can still fire on the attacking enemy squad, as they're not locked in combat and skimmers don't block LOS. If the enemy manages to kill it (they can't penetrate if you moved far enough), the drones should still be around to tie them up for a bit.

Basically, at first glance they don't look ike much, but if you try to figure out good strategies for them, they'll come in handy. You might not be able to legally play them for a few months, but if you think you can use them, a little extra practice with friends won't hurt. And if you're worried about people letting you play it, just make sure to mention it's for practice and you're not really sure how to best use it yet. : P
Old 08 Dec 2004, 18:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Id be eager to hear from someone who has used these vehicles and with what success....the problems i see for the tetra is that it is very weakly armoured and unless kept right at the very back of your line the disruption pod is no good as it only negates ranges down to 24" anyway. As for the piranha..open topped....i suppose the weapons are good but in my opinion not worth the points, but hey ive never played with one have i!!!
Old 08 Dec 2004, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Light vehicles tend to require careful use. After all, they tend to die quite easily... however, it is their speed thay saves them, and it is that speed that makes them valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Dec 2004, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess i just dont think that they are worth it points wise.....the tetra is 60 points for one markerlight....when you could have 5 pathfinders with 5 markerlights for that cost.....
Old 08 Dec 2004, 18:52   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Pyro_ike

I don't think being to close for the d-pod to work would be a problem- all you need is 36" range, and from there it works pretty well. It might be better used as a flanking vehicle marking targets (on a 3+ with the TA upgrade) for destruction by your heavies, and a good way to find and flush units in cover. (HH can't seem to get that squad of rangers in the woods? Run out the tetras, light 'em up, and submunition!) UNfortunately, one problem I did discover was no option for the MT, although they can still move 6" before firing, as opposed to 0" w/ pathfinders. The points cost tho... Yeah, I can see that raising some problems. You have to decide just how much the extra mobiliy is worth.. or perhaps just use them in larger army lists.
Old 08 Dec 2004, 19:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

personally i dont think the 6" less mobility is worth it but i could see why some people may prefer them to pathfinders (well barely!)