Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica: Tau Xeno Aux.
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jun 2006, 17:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Tactica: Tau Xeno Aux.

I have been waiting for this for my entire time here. This post will be my 1,000th, and in celebration, I give you,
KONG!, er....
The Mothman's Guide to Tau Alien Aux.!
[hr]
[size=20pt]Kroot[/size]
First up, we have the most common Xenos found along side Tau Hunter Cardes. They stand a taller than Tau, and feature avian features, leading us to believe that they are disendants from brids. More specifically, the Kroot Hawk. The Tau have yet to gain access to a Kroot Hawk to study and determine if it is truely the root of all Kroot.
[hr]
Pros and Cons
Pros:

Low Cost: Kroot are 3pts Cheaper than a Fire Warrior, and have a superior stat-line (well, apart from their save...or lack thereof) and some very useful special rules.

Versitility: Kroot and be feilded either as an assaulty unit, bu maxing out on Kroot Warriors and Kroot Hounds, a shooty unit by again maxing out on Kroot Warriors, and Krootox.

They can fight!!!: With good S, and Ws, and A(when armed with a kroot rifle) they can decimate most infantry, but will struggle against Marines, and other power-armoured foes.

Look out Catachans: The Kroot have Fieldcraft. They get a 4+ cover save in jungles and woods, and can move full speed in jungles and woods, and can shoot 12" into or out of jungles or woods.

Cons:

Save, what save?: The Kroot have NO save WHATS SO EVER! Unless you buy the useless Shaper upgrade and make them more expensive.

I'm from Pech, so they think I'm slooooooooooow eh?: The I of the kroot is what really makes them inefficent as CC troops. It is better than the Tau's I, but on par with, or lower than everyone elses (well, apart from Orkies).
[hr]

Tactics:

Veitnamese Kroot - Everyone knows that Veitnam kicked the Americans butts in the Veitnam War because of their use of cover and ambush. And Fox Holes.
Place the Kroot in 7" of Jungle or Woods. That was no one can shoot in at you, but you can shoot out at them! And if they charge you, you are in cover and willo strike first (Unless they have frags, then you strike at the smae time...)

Pech Stampede - Kroot hounds are cheap, and have insane I. Now, if you want to get them into the enemy lines you need to look small. That way no one wil shoot at you!
12 Kroot Warriors and 12 Kroot hounds looks alot less scary than 24 Kroot Warriors! This way you will get one heck of a Close Combat squad for a very cheap point cost!

Counter-Strike...Anti-Close Combat Squad - Place the Kroot 2" from the side of a Fire Warrior unit. When the enemy gets within 12" you fire with the firewarriors and charge with the kroot, thus doing damage to the enemy, and then the kroot are in CC, saving the Tau from it, then the tau can re-position, so if the enemy kills the Kroot the tau are waiting for them, and BAM! You open up again, and after a few ordeals like that even Space Marines will have a hard time staing alive.

Fire Support - Kroot are armed with basically a bolter, though with worse AP. In large numbers Kroot can add that fire power you need to finish off that wounded unit. Add a Krootox (or 3) for more range and fire power. Heck, that big ol' Kroot Gun can pop light tanks and fend off the toughest non-power armoured foes.

[hr]
[size=20pt]Vespids[/size]
Here we have the mothmen...er...Vespids. They are FAST! and I mean FAST! With luck these guys can assault (though not recomended...against MEQs) 24" without firing their guns, and 18" with firing.

[hr]

Pros and Cons
Pros:

Flash be damned! - Vespids are the fasted unit on foot (wing) in the Tau army. They are Jump Infantry (Not Jet) and they have fleet! AND Assault weapons...

I shall finish in the morning..WHOA! It is tomorrow!
NEXT: VESPIDS, AND GUE'VESA
Old 27 Jun 2006, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tactica: Tau Xeno Aux.

nice post i love kroot there the back bone infantry of my army they do all the tough job i would never give to my fire warriors they shoot better the WF too point for point

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 Jun 2006, 20:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The only thing missing from Kroot is the ability to fleet. Fortunately the mercinaries can do this (And help other forces... )

Mostly everyone dislikes taking 'chickens' because they don't do much except die in battle. For that reason some take Vespid... after all seeing a vespid killteam pretty much wipe the opposition with thier guns would inspire one to do so.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Tau Are AWESOME

Kroot are real men! I do not recall if they have the ability to waste a turn eating thier prey, that's manly! I would suggest taking them they are really good especially with forests avaiable.

Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Nice post, its great to see some attention given tot he auxilary races. They are quite fun and effective to boot. Looking forward to more. Plus I think this is worthy of a karma cookie aswell. Keep it up!

btw the eaters of the dead was removed. It would seem the Tau's idea of civilizing the Kroot through prolonged contact is having some effect. It seems the Kroot are learning to keep their heads more when around their employers.

Old 28 Jun 2006, 03:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Awesome, looking forward to the other 2.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

nice post,
but i seem to recall a 10 hound per squad limit.
at 1st i thought you might have been refering to
2 smaller squads but then i remembered that you
have to have no less than 10 kroot carnivores
IN a squad.
so your #'s are a little off.
sorry to nitpick, looking forward to more tactica.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 12:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdawggnt
nice post,
but i seem to recall a 10 hound per squad limit.
at 1st i thought you might have been refering to
2 smaller squads but then i remembered that you
have to have no less than 10 kroot carnivores
IN a squad.
so your #'s are a little off.
sorry to nitpick, looking forward to more tactica.
0-12 Kroot Hounds, check your Tau EMPIRE codex
Old 28 Jun 2006, 14:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The hounds have good init, but not really more attacks than the kroot thanks to their rifle...

I imagine a 20 kroot + 12 hound squad on the charge, while bloody huge, will lay waste even to a chaos lord... assuming he doesn't slaughter them all before their own initiative
Old 28 Jun 2006, 22:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wow This is AWESOME!!! I have been looking for a tacta like this for ages!!