Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need advice re: Stealth Loadout
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jun 2006, 07:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need advice re: Stealth Loadout

I'm fielding a brand spanking new 6-man Stealth team, the first one that I have ever outfitted with Fusion Blasters, and I have them equipped as follows:

[size=12pt]La'rua D'ayon (Stealth Battlesuit Team "Shadow Hunters")[/size]

2 Stealth Troopers
[size=8pt]Fusion Blasters, Targeting Arrays[/size]
4 Stealth Troopers
[size=8pt]Burst Cannons, Target Locks[/size]

The total for the unit is 224 points.

My reasoning for the rather odd hardpoint options is as follows: I wanted the two troopers with Fusion Blasters to have BS4, as at their effective range it usually boils down to make the kill or die on the next turn. I also wanted them to be able to target independantly of the remainder of the unit, so the standard troopers with Burst Cannons are all equipped with Target Locks (and since they must now have the hardpoint filled, that's only 2 points more per trooper than the Blacksun Filter).

I could of course upgrade one Trooper to Team Leader, and give him a Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array and a Hardwired Target Lock. This would give me one Fusion Blaster with independant targeting and BS4. I would still have to equip the rest of the unit with Blacksun Filters though.

Third option would be to skip the Targeting Array altogether, thus negating the need to fill the hardpoints of the other troopers.

It all boils down to this: I'm paying 44 points for two independantly targeted BS4 Fusion Blasters.

My second option is to pay 37 points for one independantly targeted BS4 Fusion Blaster, with a Blacksun Filter bonus on the standard troopers. This option also gives me the opportunity to chuck 5 more points into a Bonding Knife.

What do you think? Are either of these options worth the points? Which one would you use (if any)?

Do yoiu think that the Bonding Knife is a must-have for this unit anyway (I've never had a situation where one has made the difference for a stealth team before...they usually either take very few casualties or are completely wiped out, but then again it could happen).

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 08:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby
Default Re: Need advice re: Stealth Loadout

When the codex first came out we all had topics about this option
It came down to this

The range difference was to big. You assigned one squad with 2 different roles

One close up tank hunting the other long range spraying

if you want to use youre expensive fusion blasters you need to come up close wich effectivly negates youre stealth field because the enemy can see right trough.
Now normaly the army of youre enemey is near each other.

If you play against a close combat army the tank youre popping is probably some kind of transport ( so the enemy disembarks and assaults or shoots you ) if youre playing against a shooty army the tank is probably some long range fire support and there will probably some other squads that can shoot you nearby.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 08:26   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Good points there, but the Fusion Blasters in this squad are actually for the express purpose of capping termies, marines and dreadnoughts. I have a...little problem...with one of my gaming friends and his recent conversion to the church of teleportation and Drop Pods.

I figured that they would also make a nice little contingency plan for his Land Raider should my Rail Rifles get knocked out.

So your take is that stealth teams should remain with the trusty BC, and the points are better spent on something more dedicated to anti-armor?
Old 27 Jun 2006, 08:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Honestly man, I wouldn't outfit them with fusion blasters at all. It sorta mimics the Fireknife problem, you're fixing them for multiple roles when it might be more effective to simply keep them to one task. That being said add fusions could throw a curveball at the opponent because they suddenly recognize and mark them as a danger to their tanks.

The bonding knife isn't that important IMO. I say give teamleader the FB HWTL everyone else normal. Or keep the current set up, regardless BS 4 isn't that important with 2 shots. As long as both shoot you'll have a better chance to score a hit.

Again though, I think FBs are a points sink...
Old 27 Jun 2006, 08:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Thats my point accectly.

You should pay the points for something dedicated for 2 roles.

If youre hunting termies and mariens and dreadnoughts ( ok the last one could be done ) but you cant kill a termie squad or a marine squad with only 2 fbs

If you got a dedicated squad with more ap killing power you can. Or stay at range and shoot next turn.
The close range means they are definitly going to shoot back at you, or even assault you
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

tried it out... doesn't work. you have to get way too close for comfort.

If you could give a fusion blaster to all, or nearly all of them, this would be very deadly... perhaps even TOO deadly. But the way its done right now is just no good.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

The biggest problem a lot of people are missing is that if you look at the math of how stealth fields are going to work, there's a huge jump at about 20-21" on how effective they are. Outside of 20+ inches they're great. Inside of that, they kind of suck.

That being said, I sometimes like to bring a fusion blaster. Generally only one because some of my opponents like to park tanks between my stealths and my targets, so the fusion blaster makes them think twice. It's a bit of luck to get the blaster to actually take out the tank, but the worry of trying to throw a tank in between us and the rare chance of my blaster dropping a 250pt Land Raider is generally enough for him to just let me have my fun with my burst cannons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

unless facing monoliths or landraiders, you're almost as likely to get a kill using your burst cannons: rear (and sometimes side) armor easily gets shot up this way.

Rhinos, basilisks and even the back of a Russ are quite vulnerable to 9~19 strength 5 shots. you're almost sure to get a glance at least.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:41   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I don't think fusion on stealth works well at all. When it first came out, I was like "OMFG Stealth fusion!!!111! Woot!11!!!1" Now, after thinking it through, it does not work, you're better of with a DSing Helios 8 or something.

And I thought they had to take the same hardpoint, and only the leader could have different, if they took the hardpoint option. Or am I wrong??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenKnowledge
And I thought they had to take the same hardpoint, and only the leader could have different, if they took the hardpoint option. Or am I wrong??
If one suit takes a support system, they all must take a system, however, they may be different systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Closed Thread