Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

finally a way to use krootox
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jun 2006, 15:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default finally a way to use krootox

okay back in the day ox where heavy so i never want to use one for any thing what a wast ,now they add them as a troop add on to kroot which is great but take away a good ability for kroot so people stilldont want to take them pluse a little high on points but i think i found a way to use them city of death sewer rat i can see it now kroot hounds and some ox all get out of the sewers behind the enemy open fire then wait for the assault or assaults

what do you people think about this and the ox ??

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: finally a way to use krootox

Krootox have a lot of good uses, you just have to figure them out through battles.

First off, they have been lowered in points since the new codex's release, thus they're a lot easier to field in most battles, and their gun can be a great help with most units, (nice strength, and decent armour piercing). While they do limit the squad's infiltration ability, they still offer the fieldcraft ability, (so they won't get shot down too badly). Also, they aren't that bad at assaults, they have low initiative, but their high strength, and weapon skill definitely give them an advantage. So, basically, they really only have two major cons to them:
  • Restrict kroot squads from infiltrating.
  • No save, and low toughness, so any weapons of strength 6 or higher will take all of their wounds, (they have quite a few, too!)

So, basically, if you use them in areas of a lot of cover, (cities, and such), they should put up quite a fight, especially in jungles, (fieldcraft).
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
okay back in the day ox where heavy so i never want to use one for any thing what a wast ,now they add them as a troop add on to kroot which is great but take away a good ability for kroot so people stilldont want to take them pluse a little high on points but i think i found a way to use them city of death sewer rat i can see it now kroot hounds and some ox all get out of the sewers behind the enemy open fire then wait for the assault or assaults

what do you people think about this and the ox ??
Frank,

I've played a lot with the Ox just because it's such a black sheep. Making it finally a troop seemed like a meal ticket. But unfortunately, it's still just not worth it in my opinion. Kroot are so good, because they're cheap, because they're mobile, and because they have a relatively good power base for that cost. The Ox is relatively cheaper than it used to be, and we can get several, but it's just not worth it. Also, the gun being rapid-fire really hurts. Look at the range if we're sitting still; and look the range if you move. You're not infiltrating, so generally you're going to have to move. Even in Cities of Death, managing to put an Ox on something up close doesn't accomplish all that much. Some claim the added strength and attacks help make the fight in close combat easier. Well, if you need Str6 in combat that doesn't ignore saves, you're not really going to accomplish anything that 5 Kroot couldn't already do themselves, but better. It's only 3 attacks at Str6, and it's still the same old stats for hitting and initiative. 5 Kroot have 10 attacks. So what is the Ox adding? Not much. Again, Str6 doesn't do anything that lots of Str4 cannot do, but better. And if you require Str6 to even do anything, such as against a Wraithlord, etc, then you're obviously going to lose that fight anyways. Anything so dangerous that an Ox would be needed is going to whipe the floor with a bunch of Kroot, due to having a 2+ or 3+ save and incredibly high toughness and raw wounds. And in the end, the Ox doesn't even beat down marines any better than a bunch of Kroot. The only good thing the Ox does, is allow 1 or 2 wounds on average to be applied to any given normal infantry with just one model. It makes a small foot print. But again, without infiltration you'll be hard pressed to get into those combats when you need to anyways.

Just to go back to the strength and costs again:

5x Kroot with 10 attacks @ Str4 vs. Marines = 2.5 wounds on average.
1x Ox with 3 attacks @ Str6 vs. Marines = 1.3 wounds on average.

Same exact cost.

5x Kroot with 5/10 shooting attacks @ Str4 vs. Marines = 1.3 or 2.5 wounds on average
1x Ox with 1 attack @ Str7 vs. Marines = 0.4 wounds on average.

And of course, they all still get the armor save.
Granted, that's marines. However, if you were to do the same thing against say, Guardsmen, or Genestealers, you'll find that:

Kroot Rifles are even better than the Kroot Gun, and 5x Kroot are far better than 1x Ox in combat against them.

In the end, the only real application of the Ox that is worth while over the 5x Kroot you could have purchased, is that you have a long range Troop based Str7 weapon which hits 50% of the time, that could possibly glance a transport or most skimmers, with relatively average to poor odds. It's the only way to do that, without a seeker missile which requires a vehicle, and the only way to do it in a Troop, without using a grenade.

And after using them, I can honestly say that they hurt Kroot squads more often than aiding them. If you're truly desperate for Str7 in the list, you probably should be re-writing the list as a single twinlinked missile pod will out-perform two Ox for less points, and be mounted on a mobile platform that can fire at full range on the move. Ox just don't cut it.

Ox are for theme. If you want to go massed up Kroot with minor Tau backup, that's where Ox are good to go. Otherwise, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

Cheers!
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

the only reason to take oxes is to see a giant gorilla plow through some imperial guardsmen like so many rag dolls.

Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to atree

ox are a must if you want to play horde kroot army but if you want to do that why don't you play orkz ?
because tau have better weapons ...
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

malvo your right i just like the model just like all the other cool models i will never use

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 Jun 2006, 01:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I suppose it's good in high points games when your elite slots are filled. Gives us something to do with all those troops choices. 0_0
Old 27 Jun 2006, 06:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

personally, I dont like the ox because of their gun. The point of the ox is to give kroot a stronger weapon, but because the infiltration is out, and the gun is rapid fire, you end up only firing them at the same things you would assault with the kroot and i dont think thats worth it.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 07:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

depends on what you use them for.
i field three or more kroot units,
all with specific missions in mind.

3 krootox go in my countercharge unit,
which is part of my static element,
next to my pathfinders.

i use them in conjunction with my 3 rail rifles.
6 shot with good power into assault units,
from longe range makes for far less dangerous
assault units for the ox buddies to intercept if
they DO make it to my firebase.

i find the ox perform very well in this roll.
then again, i DO play high point games.

its all about finding the best purpose for them
and not letting things distract you from your plan.

Old 27 Jun 2006, 11:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I prefer the two shots at 42" effective range of our dear old missile pod. Each can have a 66% chance of hitting, or be twinlinked, and still leaves some room for another weapon or system.
Closed Thread