Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tourney Killer ('Nids)
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jun 2006, 13:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tourney Killer ('Nids)

I went to a tourney into my semi local GW store yesterday. I played to the fluff of my army, Farsight Enclave, and for about 1850 points this is what I took:

Farsight
7 body guards unit total models 8, for 762 points
3 Crisis suit's helio's setup 216 points
5 Firewarrior squads each with a with a Shas'ui 130 points each
1 Broadside team 3 models, 230 points

It was a bit risky but I went to have fun.

This is what I encountered in my first game which was a cleanse:

1 Hive Tyrant with wings
1 Hive Tyrant
2 (Large Carnifex' that fired a S 10 pie plate) Toughness 6 with 4 wounds
3 Baby Carnifex' that had 8 shots, that both rerolled both hits and misses
2 Units of ravagers, move 12 assault 6, and yes they have fleet of foot and have rending
1 unit of three Zoanthropes, warp blasts for all of them

So after all of that what is he missing? Troops you think... this is what he had for troops

2 units of 6 geensteelers (fleet of foot and rending) less than 200 points.

Apparently composition is no longer an issue from what I was informed, and fluff didn't matter; it was all about winning. After the tourney I talked with a few other players and they slammed him for both sportsmanship and the the outright cheesiness of his army. Yes he made the absolute minimum requirement, but from what I remember that was not what playing 40K was all about. I was told that this player was basically guaranteed to win the Chicago GT. I replied; wow this what the game has devolved into.....
Old 25 Jun 2006, 13:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tourney Killer ('Nids)

Zilla nids is a viable army list now in tournaments. It gives me a big problem considering I have no AP 2 or better weapons in my army however when you go to tournaments expect non-friendly army lists
Old 25 Jun 2006, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

well, at least it makes a change from super-powered Eldar. I get my behind handed to me by 3+ save aspect armies every time i decide to front at a tourney.

At least with Nids you know their tactics, or the basis thereof (ie they are gonna come and eat you, in either turn 2 or 3..)

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
Old 25 Jun 2006, 14:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Personally I think that's good. Composition is an artificial restriction with no way of judging it accurately. There is certainly no way to ensure that players will be objective. A subjective system like composition invites retaliation for losses.

Armies should be legal or illegal, not "I think this army is interesting" and "I happen to have seen two similar armies, so it's not that unique."

I'd be fine with tournaments that restricted you to different force organization charts... although these would tend to penalize Tau who have weak troops choices.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

That is why I do not tend to go to tournaments. It all becomes about winning, and to few bother to bring an orgininal, let alone interesting, list. Power-gaming thrives at the prospect of some twenty-five dollar gift certificate- no thanks.

-"We hit that bullseye and the rest of the dominoes will fall down like a house of cards. Checkmate."

- "He who laughs last....didn't get it."
Old 25 Jun 2006, 15:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just one question, did you lose?
Seriously, those kind of army list repleted of few but super heavy armed units, have a very serious flaw: few models.
Against an army like yours, I can see your guys blasting away half of his forces in one turn of shooting. Using all the units of fire warriors to cover your larger units from early assault and keeping clear the swarms, you can gain one or two extra turns if you don't mind sacrificing them for the greater good. I'm tired of people complaining about powergaming guys, those superarmies have serious drawbacks if you know how to exploit them, and with a balanced army and a bit of experience you will surely do.
-TYranid "Magma Corer": 0%
Old 25 Jun 2006, 16:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Looks like the typical "gun-zilla", an army list so foul that I was forced to swear an oath never to take more than 3 carnifexes per detatchment when I use a nid army.

Oh yeah and there has to be at least 1 combat fex in there just for fluffsake
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 25 Jun 2006, 16:40   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yup new list is now something like this:

1 Shas'o pr cib c2 node
2 x6 Firewarriors in fish 2 seeker missles each
2 pathfinder squads with with three rail rifels each each fish has two seeker missles fish have SMS
1x5 piranah's each with a seeker missle.
2 units of broadsides all with multitrackers, the team leader has a drone controller with two drones
1 unit of three snipers for a total of 9 drones
1-3 units of 6 unit stealth teams

That should do the trick
Old 25 Jun 2006, 17:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

You'll come to notice that all torunaments now seem alike, except for terrain.

If you want a fair battle, try playing agaisnt orks, they're probably the hardest army to powergame with!
Old 25 Jun 2006, 19:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

You have no hammerheads?

There is a terrible tyrranid player at my local game store who runs rending genestealers with friends, and I'm told one Tau solution is to template him repeatedly. This is true, since even 'stealers with extended carapace aren't immune to templating.