Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

If Tau technology is so advanced, why don't have Warp travel?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Jun 2006, 09:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default If Tau technology is so advanced, why don't have Warp travel?

I've always wondered why Tau do not have warp travel, yet they are one of the most technologicaly advanced races.

Does anyone have any answers???

-grammer edited some
Vash113
Old 24 Jun 2006, 10:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: if tau technology is so advance , hot come they dont have warp travel?

I'm pretty sure its explained in the codex.

Tau non-psychic race. Thus, no navigator gene. Thus, no deep warp travel.

After studying medusa V they'll probably come to the conclusion that its not something you want to travel through (unreliable, dangerous, tends to harbor evil gawds) and start working on other forms of FTL travel instead.

please use actual words (there's a spell check button)
Old 24 Jun 2006, 10:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: if tau technology is so advance , hot come they dont have warp travel?

Because GW says that don't. Basically, it is and isn't that simple at the same time. It IS because GW doesn't want to change the fluff so much, being that Tau w/ Warp travel would possibly get them into big trouble/big advances/new races/new models, etc...., + GW can be very lazy... It ISN'T , because , according to the fluff (kind of supports the Is, part, because GW wrote the fluff...) , the Tau lack the ability to remain in warp space for long periods of time. That's it. They just can't. They lack the engines to get them there, and the navigation to keep them on track for such long periods... It's just something they haven't been able to crack yet. Personally, I support the IS theory...just my opinion

-Nuke

*EDIT* Although, looking at what Nova wrote, and agreeing with it, overall, the Tau probably wouldn't want to be in it for long if they realize the dangers...

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 24 Jun 2006, 10:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

oh i see what you mean now thanks

P.S i will remember to use real words from now on
Old 24 Jun 2006, 12:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's explained in the Tau Codex. While their technology is highly advanced, their minds have no warp technics. They were just born without it.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 13:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Of course the Tau's whole purpose on Medusa V is to try and remedy that by studying Van Grothes Rapidity. It is possible they can develop a technological solution to deep warp navigation. It is probably more likely that they will re-create the Navigator gene (I suspect some freelance Navigators already work for the Tau).
Old 24 Jun 2006, 15:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't even think they want access to warp travel. Stated in the Tau Codex, they have realized that many other races have had whole ships destroyed by simply entering the warp, and the reason for their dynamic expansions going so smoothly is because they haven't experienced those types of casualties.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 16:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This has already been discussed you should really search old threads before starting new ones
Old 24 Jun 2006, 16:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
I don't even think they want access to warp travel. Stated in the Tau Codex, they have realized that many other races have had whole ships destroyed by simply entering the warp, and the reason for their dynamic expansions going so smoothly is because they haven't experienced those types of casualties.
but if they can master it un like any other races then they would not have that problem

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 24 Jun 2006, 16:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Heres my take on it:

The Tau want warp travel for the speed of it, and the purposefull manipulation of its time dialation effects.... plain and simple

And the Tau wouldnt use the Navigator gene or the astronomicon to navigate, theyd design their own navigation systems, and the Warp would be something like hyperspace in Star Wars, just a weird view outside the windows.

And the Tau would be safe in the Warp, since the Warps dangers are reflections of the human minds' fears and imaginings, and their lure to intelligent predators of the warp by thier human psychic presence. The Tau have no psychic presence... so there is no lure to the warp predators, nor do they have haunting fears, dark secret urges, or self destructive imaginings.... giving nothing for the Warp to manifest.

putting it plainly, like that old Twilight Zone with William Shatner, the warp directly outside of Kirks window uses the kirks mind as a reference.. a pretext, and tries its best to mess with him! The Warp is like an evil little Imp outside, whose sole mission is to show you the one thing you dont ever want to see! But now what if its a Tau passenger, looking out the window... The little Imp out there is only getting static, and the Tau passenger is feeling the warm tranquility of the Greater Good. So NOW what?

[Imp focuses on Tau passenger, and looks for an opportunity]
[Tau player looks outside, and thinks "wow! pretty lights!"
[The Imp uses other knowledge and takes a stab at tormenting the Tau Passenger, showing him an Ethereal Tied to the Warp engine, cape flapping in the warp, the flesh tearing from its body]
[The Tau Passenger watches the 'show' and says in a peacefully dazed way] "Its for the Greater Good"
[the Imp storms off in disgust!]
[The Warp trip is over]

;D