Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vehicle wargear
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Vehicle wargear

Specifically...can I take drones on a devilfish if I've already selected the smart missile option. Im kinda fuzzy on how the codex reads on this point.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Vehicle wargear

I don't think so. The SMS is an upgrade to the drones. So the drones are replaced by the SMS. (Look at the model).
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I believe the wording on the vehicle entries, each time, states you can take drones (or in the case of the Fish, that it comes with them) OR you can take an SMS (or in the case of the sky ray, also the Burst Cannons).

I think it's "OR" and if you look at the Vehicle Wargear list, I don't believe it lists drones anymore, does it? In the price index? Thus, you can't "add" them. There is an entry for how they work, but not a way to "buy" them as wargear from the table - you can only buy them as an "upgrade" (sky ray only) or they come on a standard Fish.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 22 Jun 2006, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Fish come with drones, and can replace them with SMS.

Hammerheads and Skyrays may have drones OR SMS OR burst cannons.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 23:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Too bad I would have really liked to give my Hammerhead all three options and allow them to fire all at once . ;D
Old 23 Jun 2006, 03:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I was actually hoping to get markerlight drones for DF. It was a long shot, but hey. If only I could combine the rules I like out of each codex...Craziest warfish ever.

Honestly, I dunno why you'd ever bother with gun drones on a hammerhead. SMS or burst cannons have far better killing potential for the points. On a DF, its at least a sizeable point advantage for the drones...but I still think Im going to mod up some special missile launcher arrays.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Old 23 Jun 2006, 09:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think that gun drones on a hammerhead is overkill. They cost 20 points!!

Burst cannons are the only other good deal apart from the smart missile system they cost less and have more shots.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 15:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I wish we could've taken burst cannons on devilfish. 0_0

Can you imagine every transport running around with 9 S5 shots?! ...I guess that's why we can't take them. =D
Old 23 Jun 2006, 15:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The SMS is an "upgrade"... but a rather expensive one. drones and SMS are the same price for a hammerhead, yet a warfish buys it as if nothing was equipped there..

The drones aren't useless. They sure don't put out much firepower, its effectively 2 carbine firewarriors with free jetpacks (and slightly better accuracy, I know), but that's not necessarily bad.

Opponents with larger squads have a choice: ignore the weak little harasser unit (wait to see the player's face when there's 2-3 pairs around and half the guy's unit is killed by crossfire after falling back into a lousy pair of drones)... or focus firepower to kill two measly models. That also means you can force a lot of target-priority tests... The earlier they fail this, the better: there's nothing like 4 heavy bolters wasted on a pair of drones instead of wasting 2/3 of a warrior squad...

The best place for the drones, however, isn't the devilfish (who does benefit quite a lot from that SMS system). Its the railhead, whom you're usually keeping far out of range of any other secondary system so it doesn't get shot up and keeps railing everyone. The drones won't be worth any points until/unless said railhead gets shot down, and until then, they're another small but useful (sacrificial) squad at your service.

Don't think of them as a pair of detatchable carbines. Think of them as a pair of independant carbines that can force priority checks, or give their carrier a shot at rear armor that's across the map, out of LoS and maybe even out of range, help add pinning checks (each pair is seperate!) to ensure some get failed eventually, and take the hit for a much larger, critical, far more expensive squad without actually costing you anything (since the points are paid on the carrier). Oh, and unless he goes after them, they're great for keeping things away from shredding your warriors or suits, and busy instead on yet again, another lousy pair of drones (take that, "40 attacks with charging")

That warfish might be a pretty useful light tank... But those drones aren't half-bad either.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 16:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They're pretty bad if your opponent catches them in combat and massacres, gaining extra movement.

On the other hand, they're not bad at all when it comes to holding up a squad with no power weapons.
Closed Thread