im in a bit of a problem my friend has a dark eldar army which contains :
2 raiders with dar lances
3 helions
2 squads of 11 warriors
1 squad of 12 warriors
dark eldar lord with poison blades
hemonculus with stinger and poison blade
5 dark eldar jet bikes

can anyone give me some tactics on how to beat these plz ???

Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: tactics against dark eldar

Umm..can you tell us what you have, then we can show you some tatics.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 17:03   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tactics against Dark Eldar

i have:
1 squad of 12 fire warriors
1 squad of 12 kroot
1 shas'o commander with 1 crisis body guard member
1 devil fish
1 squad of 3 stealth suits
and 1 squad of 6 vespid
Old 22 Jun 2006, 18:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alright this should be easy.

Knowing DE, he would try to rush ASAP. So in this case, you would want to go defensive.

Commander: Take off the Bodygaurd and use the bodygaurd as a regular Crisis. I would suggest Fireknife (PR, MP) or Brightwind (PR, BC) for your commander. These are very effective against warriors, and hemonclus. And they do nicely against raiders.

Kroot: These are your primary speedbump units. Since they are cheap, they're quite expendable and they do well in CC. Place them in front of your FW (7 inches just in case he does a sweeping advance). And use them to take any shots coming your way.

Fire Warriors: Usually I like playing them Mech style. However, in this case, they are your main defensive anchor. Use their 30" range to your advantage (DE warriors can only shoot 12" on the move). Give them the devilfish so they can use FoF near the end. Once they gotten through the Kroot, they wouldn't get you if you're 7" away. Use that to either run way using the DF as a fast transport or use the DF as an assault shield and do a stantionary FoF.

Stealth: Your primary bike hunters. With their stealthfield and JSJ they are very hard to take out. Your oppenet will either ignore them or take them down as fast as he can. Both ways are good for you. If he ignores them, target key units (ex. bikes or helions) or if he charges at them, you can target those units with other guns you have (stealth should survive a couple turns of shooting and assault).

Vespid: This unit should only target the Lord and nothing else (unless there's nothing else to shoot at). Otherwise, the AP3 would be wasted. However, due to short range of the gun and the 5+ save, don't try to charge with them. Use them only when the Lord comes close. Otherwise, keep them in cover, unless you like expenisve, mutated bees for dinner.

Hope this helps.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 18:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Try to keep your men in a 24in area(a corner)
Don't fall for his deployment.He/she will use their speed to converge at the same spot.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 19:04   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i try to take out his hemonculus and lord but he put them both within warrior squads so its harder for me to get rid of them :-\
Old 22 Jun 2006, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Ah, well then he can never catch you. The only thing he can get into combat with is the Kroot - everything else can run away.

All you have to do is kill the fast stuff first (the Tau motto.) DE jetbikes are amazingly squishy compared to any other bike. Hit them with just about anything and they will go down. It's a shame you don't have SMS or he would be totally screwed, no way to sneak up. There are only 3 hellions, you really should be able to kill these before they get to you. If one of those units is zooming up fast, rush the vespid over and shoot/charge.

Why charge?

1) The vespid will die anyway.
2) Those units are both very small! They have very few attacks, and the vespid will shrug them off due to high toughness, and might even save some with armor. This feeble attack should not be able to get through the vespid that quickly, allowing you to...
3) Flee when you want to. On his turn, if you desire, remove the strain leader as one of the casualties. Dude, where's my Leadership? Watch the vespids run away. But oh, wait... now it's my turn. Enjoy your pulse plasma!

The vespid will serve as a valuable reactionary and speedbump unit.

The other "problem" is the transports. These things are disgustingly fast, but every single gun in the army (except the AFB...) can put them down.

Your commander - surprisingly the missile pod is not really a good item for this battle. The transports are so weak that S7 is almost unnecessary. It can be a good backup though, and if the jetbikes don't turboboost it will cut through them like cheese.
Perhaps more surprisingly, plasma would be a terrible choice for this battle. Fusion sucks as well.
Burst cannon... I don't recommend even putting these on regular crisis suits, but this is one case where it would shine.
Both special issue weapons are good, the CIB being useful against all his troops, and the AFP being awesome for crushing an entire mob of troops that has just piled out of a broken transport.

Remember, just kill the fast things and then you can dance around him like a leaf on the wind.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 19:47   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i can take out his helions and his bikes before they reach me but his warrior squads have 5 splinter cannons each able to fire 4 shots giving him a total of 20 shots with just his splinter cannons at 24"

i try to take out as many as i can before they can get in range but he manages to pass his leadership tests with ease . i also tried FOF but he managed to pass most of his target prority tests as well.
i though of replacing my kroot with another FW squad and exchanging the DF for a HH but do you think its worth exchanging?
Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm a little concerned about this DE Army (I play them, too). If he has 2 raiders, he should have 2 raider squads OR something else assigned to it (can't buy raiders by themselves).

Raiders can only carry 10 passangers - none of those warrior squads can mount them. Especially if he's taking ICs with them.

Only time a squad can take 2 splinter cannons on a raider are if they are a bodyguard - and THEY count as part of the HQ choice - same as our Bodyguard.

So something in the list is definitely wrong.

So:
- he's overloaded the raiders in error
- if 2 warrior squads are intended as Raider Squads, he can only have one splinter cannon on each Raider
- If intended as Bodyguard, he needs more Troop selections.

Sit down together and go over his list. Either it's not what you think (thought) or he's made errors in his list creation.

"It's not my tactics that are bad, just my dice rolling..."
Old 22 Jun 2006, 21:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

How the heck does one warrior squad get 5 splinter cannons?! It seems to me that 2 is the max.

Or are you saying that altogether there are 5 splinter cannons? That's not really a big problem, statistically it will kill 4-5 FW/Kroot per turn. The battlesuits should be able to avoid splinter cannon fire...

Of course you want to avoid even troop casualties if possible, which is why you climb in your devilfish and don't get out. Seriously. Only get out like... at the start of a game, or when you can rapid fire a squad into oblivion with little return fire from other squads.

The kroot will probably die to this. There's not much they can do except sit there and take it. Perhaps they should hide until they can pop out and cause some mayhem.

The devilfish is completely immune to splinter cannons(well, not the rear...) Strafe the warrior squads while avoiding real antitank weapons. Multitracker/Targetting Array/Decoy launchers is a good combo.

The battlesuits are VERY resilient to splinter cannon fire. Between a 3+ save and either T4 or stealth fields, you really shouldn't worry about them too much. Just jump-shoot-jump as normal.

The vespid are especially soft, but they're quick and should be able to find something to hide behind.

Once you've killed the fast things, it's just an exercise in patience. Whittle him down from afar and don't let him get shots at anything. If there are objectives, focus your long range firepower on scoring squads near them, and prepare (start at turn 4) to jump on the objective in the last turn.

Closed Thread