Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Walking Doom?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jun 2006, 17:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Walking Doom?

Okay, this was just an idea against Tyranids in particular. XV8 with TL Flamers / Iridium Armor / HWTA for a nice accurate nid roasting machine.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Walking Doom?

um the targetting array cant be hard wired also u wouldnt need it flamers auto hit. also why give him iridium armor?? it only slow him down and i cant see why he woould need a 2+ save if he's that close to nids. he would actually need all the speed he could get because he needs to get away from assualt remember?
Old 21 Jun 2006, 17:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, skip the Targeting Array. I'd add Stim Injectors and Vectored Thrusters, if possible. You can escape assaults to fire your flamers again, then, plus take hits without falling.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

Following your Idea, I'd probably go with

XV8
TL Flamers
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Stim. Injector
HW multi-tracker
HW DC + 2 Gun Drones

He doesn't need iridium armour really, loses the 6" move plus nothing bar a rending claw or warp blast can penetrate his armour, and hopefully you wont come up against much of that becuase this guy seems primairily aimed at gaunts.

Targetting array can't be taken with flamer anyway as it's a template weapon and doesn't work on BS, plus is a support system.

It depends upon your style of play with him. I'd keep him bouncing on the edge of their charge line, never quite being able to get him due to his 6 inch move after firing.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 21 Jun 2006, 19:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you really want lots of blast/template weapons, sub a ABG instead of a CIB.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Delvaurius, you are forgetting fleet of claw. The bugs would be on you and then your suit would be dead.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 21:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

thank you KCKitsune. I was just going to post that exact thought.

wether you have Iridium armour or not, and wether you have vectored retro thrusters or not you do not want to get close enough to any tyranid to use a flamer. This is exactly the reason that I don't like flamers, sure they automatically hit, have a good chance of wounding and ignore most nids saves, but you will only be hitting a couple of nids, while the rest will swamp you their next turn and turn your suit into rubble. My genestealers alone would laugh at you trying to flame them. and you won't even have a chance against hormaguants, with a good role they can assault 24", thats well out of the reach of your flamer.

do the smart thing and stick with the ranged weaponry for tau.... your not exactly space marines now are you.

as for the cib and the afb, you'd be better off with the afb. the cib may have 5 shots, but at st 3 and ap4 you won't do much to any of the nid lists (hoardes will laugh "ok you killed 3, now face his 27 friends from the same unit", zilla will laugh "dude, you can't even touch me with a st 3", and stealer lists will laugh "wow, if I didn't have a toughness of 4 that might actually hurt- hear let me rend you now.")
Whereas the afb, being both a guess range and higher strength and using the large blast template, can kill more than a couple of guants, actually has a chance against a carnifex, and can wipe out half (or more) of a stealer unit a turn. oh, and it doesn't role to hit.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 23:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with not using the TL Flamers on 'Nids because once they get into HTH then your dead and since they have fleet, and to be in range to use the flamers your less then twelve inches away makes you a nice target. It could work though if you back it up with some submitions, pulse fire, and any other form of fire to drop their numbers to a manageable level. but if you want to use them on their own then it is a major waste of points. Take some burst,CIB, or a AFL, Burst. Shoot the burst first to check for the AFL range, cheating but it's legal.

Old 21 Jun 2006, 23:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777

you have to do all guess before you shoot normal weapons....

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 00:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well yes but this is assuming that you guessed right so that you can tell which models are in range so you can place the template accordingly.

Example: The x's are guants

x x x x x x
x x x x x
x x xxx xxx x
x xxxx x x x x x

OK, so first off you check the range of the Burst and it can hit all the red ones.
[glow=red,2,300] x x x x[/glow] x x
[glow=red,2,300] x x [/glow] [glow=red,2,300] x[/glow] x x
[glow=red,2,300]x x xxx [/glow] xxx x
x xxxx x x x x x

Right now with the AFL it's a scatter so you don't want to aim for the edge and scatter out of range so you place the center of the one in the center of the targets with in range making a better chance of hitting targets. The balck one.

[glow=red,2,300] x x x x[/glow] x x
[glow=red,2,300] x [glow=black,2,300] x[/glow] x[/glow] x x
[glow=red,2,300]x x xxx [/glow] xxx x
x xxxx x x x x x

See it gives a slightly better chance that it woun't scatter out of range.

Closed Thread