Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1250 against Tyranids - Tactics?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jun 2006, 13:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default 1250 against Tyranids - Tactics?

On monday i'll be having a battle with a tyranid player that i would particularily like to beat, he's one of the members that attend my club.

When he play tyranids he likes to use lots of large creatures, I think that on monday he'll be taking 2 carnifexs, a hive tyrant, a broodlord with lots and lots of genestealers plus a few lictors. Any other points he'll make up with gaunts.

I have acess to 2 hammerheads, 3 boadsides, 4 crisis suits, 1 comander, devilfish, drones (lots) and a plentiful supply of fire warriors.

I was thinking of deepstriking my commander and 2 guards behind his lines, to confuse him as he moves ALL his forces in one big wave. They'd have missile pods and plasma. Give 2 hammerheads railguns, as pie plate would be brill against genestealers and solid shot for 'fexs. Missile pods on 2 of the crisis suits at my deployment, perhaps with fusion blasters as i'm expecting his lictors to try to sneak up on me.

Any tactics or ideas, I don't feel this list should be too hard to beat, but...

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 21 Jun 2006, 13:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 1250 against Tyranids - Tactics?

Submunitions will demolish everything if he doesn't spread out enough, except the tyrant and carnies with their saves. The Broodlord also gets his save IF he takes extended carapace.

Cyclic ion and missile pods both ignore just as many saves. Plasma of course does a number on them thanks to its AP, as does fusion. However the CIB is not necessarily going to be very good at wounding the big guys (though when it manages, they won't get a save since it'll have been a 6).

Glad to hear you're taking a lot of drones; they'll prove useful here like they always do, especially if he doesn't have extended carapace on the genestealers. I'm pretty sure he loses fleet of claw for having the broodlord too, which helps. I don't think his carnifex should ever pose much of a threat; they move nice and slow. Just blast the fast stuff first since if he DOES get in your lines its over. His weakness is the turn, maybe 2 it takes to get to your lines. Your weakness is what happens if he manages this.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I thought fleet of claw was passed on to the broodlord for joining the unit. The CIB was more for killing genestealers and gaunts.

Do I need fusion though, plasma has twice the shots at that range, and despite a lesser strength, it AP value can penetrate anything anyway, but it does cost a lot more...

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 21 Jun 2006, 14:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

nah, was just pointing out that fusion has the AP value too. However it IS a near-guaranteed wound. Plasma's a way better choice I'd say. Gets shots off beyond 12", and 2 at that range. Its chance of wounding is substantially lower than fusion individually, but since you're getting two shots out at that range, its far better.

CIB has a roughly 14% chance of wounding a T6 or 7 target, and that's with all 5 shots fired by a BS5 commander. It'll wreck havoc on the genestealers and gaunts though.

Fusion would have a 69.4% or 55% chance of getting a wound on that 'fex or hive tyrant on the other hand. But its just one shot.

Since you have 3 broadsides, the big guys will probably go down relatively easy when you concentrate your fire on them, so the plasma is probably enough. Its not THAT expensive for how useful it is.

Fleet is lost, I'm sure of it. Check the rulebook, universal special rules.. should be written right on the first page.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 14:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My experience tells me that template's are a good thing against 'nids. Railheads should be used as anti infantry (big template), then the carnifexs. The broadsides should be going after the carnifexs. The suits should be a lone commander, and then two units of two as elites. Use the drones as either a "first wave" to try to remove as many little bugs as possable, or Deep Strike them behind his guys and press him in the middle of the table. The Devilfish should be given all the weapons it can have and give a scaner to all the troops to look for those damned lictors. (I hate those things) *grumble* damn secret deploy *grumble*
Old 21 Jun 2006, 15:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Kerwynn

yeh careful of those lictors, youll probably want your broadside squad and hammerheads a fair distance apart. Carnifexs have never given me a problem simply because they never usually reach a close enough distance. With the firepower your packin it shouldnt be a problem taking them down. Deep striking sounds like a good idea, dont want all your units caught up if they manage to get in HtH. Drones in numbers are great, deep striking them behind should cause some confusion.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 15:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would go with 2 Broadsides with A.S System & SMS. Make one a team leader and give him a drone controller and 2 Shield Drones to suck up fire. The Hammerhead, I would go with Railgun/SMS. The reason I say SMS rather than Burst (for the Hammerhead) & plasma (for the Broadsides) is you need all the volume of fire for the small things, but you also don't want 'Nids getting that close (they may be able to use the Hammerhead to slingshot themselves closer to your lines).

For the Crisis suits... make them 3 separate teams (1 suit each of course) so they have a smaller foot print for JSJ). It also makes it easy to take them Shas'Vre and give them some nice goodies like ABFP or CIB.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 15:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Kerwynn

^ yeh having single suits means theres no need for the whole below 50% problem. Even numbers its all you need ;D
Old 21 Jun 2006, 20:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

to whoever said that cib has a 14% chance of wounding a toughness 6 or 7 creature, that was a misprint. you actually have a 0% chance of wounding toughness 7 and only the 14% chance of wounding the toughness 6. when you roll a 6 with the CIB you only get the ap1, nothing more.

and yes, I have checked on this more than once (actually had to call 3 times because no one believed me).
Old 21 Jun 2006, 21:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ack. sorry about that, typo on the "or 7".

Still a good weapon though; just let your heavier weapons concentrate on those monstrous creatures
Closed Thread