Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuits and Flamers
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jun 2006, 14:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Battlesuits and Flamers

With the release of the new Cities of Death codex, i've been inspired to start a tau army. (Though technically I should say restart, as I once did a horrible small army of them years ago). To fit in with Cities of Death i'm modelling them on urban bases. I've bought an Xv8 suit and despite knowing that flamers on battlesuits are somewhat ineffective, I plan to equip it with one merely because it fits in with what I imagine people would fight with in cities.

Basically I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience using flamer wielding battlesuits.

(Hooray for my first post >_> )
Old 21 Jun 2006, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: Battlesuits and Flamers

I've used them one or twice in normal batles, however there are no templates in cities of death, works by a dice roll doesnt it? The ability to twin link them plus ignoring cover saves (which there'll be plenty of) make them fantastic for clearing out heavily fortified buildings full of lightly armoured troops, particularily good against Imperial guard and tyranid gaunts, as well as the old eldar and ork.

It depends what army your versing, and who you send them after, leave them at the table when fighting marines or necrons.

I've used a twin linked one before in a nid battle, gave him a cyclic ion blaster and HW multi tracker and sent him alone after lots of gaunts, he was utterly fantastic, and even went out to wipe out a fair few genestealers also!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 21 Jun 2006, 15:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmm. I hadn't considered twin linking it, I was planning to field it with a burst cannon, targetting array and HW multitracker.

My opponents are mostly going to be Orks, Guard, Tau and Nurgle Chaos.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 15:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, you should also take a ABFP. Nice large ordnance template, with pinning and low scatter... VERY nice.

That might not be such a bad suit config for a Monat: ABFP, Flamer, Shield Generator, HW Multi-tracker.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 15:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Kerwynn

Yeh sounds good considering your versing orks and guard. Could get a tad tricky against other tau though but its a city match so gettin in there shouldnt be incredibly hard.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 17:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
I've used them one or twice in normal batles, however there are no templates in cities of death, works by a dice roll doesnt it?
City Fight used dice rolls, but City of Death uses the template again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafgarion
My opponents are mostly going to be Orks, Guard, Tau and Nurgle Chaos.
Flamers will work well against Orks, Guard, and Tau, but Chaos might be too tough for a flamer-equipped suit. I'm thinking of using a TL-Flamer/ABFP Monat 'Vre suit with 2 shield drones, myself. I figure I can use the Pathfinder Devilfish to block assaults. I did some math on that suit, and it's absolutely lethal against everything, given you can hit most of the squad. No cover saves from those weapons, either, so very suited to Cityfight games. The math shows it can wipe out an entire Guard squad, or kill over 3 marines in one turn, more than any other suit is capable of.

The bad thing is that that's reliant on the ABFP not missing and hitting the whole squad with a Large Blast and a Flamer template. Still, it should be effective. The suits BS:3 is not an issue, as neither weapon is affected by BS.

Old 21 Jun 2006, 19:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

One thing to remember about Guess range weapons in CoD is that they always hit the highest floor they land on. So if the center of the template is over the top floor you can only hit models on the top floor.

Flamers on suits are nice and cheap and effective. Personally I'd take them as a back up weapon for counter attack purposes, instead of using them as a primary offensive weapon.
Like Death rain suits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread