Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting a brand new Tau army. need some advice
Closed Thread
Old 19 Jun 2006, 12:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Starting a brand new Tau army. need some advice

Ive played Black templar space marines for about 7 years now and ive decided to start sort of a side project of a Tau army and maybe make them my main army. Basically i found ure guys website and i read the FAQ forums but i mainly wanted to know a few things.

1- The markerlights. are they in sprues? or is it just an upgrade that u dont put on the model itself. And also whats the deal with them besides making the ballistic skill of Fire warriors 5 and who can use them?
2- I bought the battleforce to start, can any1 recomend some places to upgrade after i finish building and painting that? I basically want a force thats has alot of guys providing fire power while a few guys flank.
3- Whats also the best way to use kroots?

Sorry if any of this has been posted already :-X
Old 19 Jun 2006, 12:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Starting a brand new Tau army. need some advice

before I answer what I can:
0: Magnets. magnets magnets magnets magnets magnets. Look around the customisation bits if you wanna know exactly how to do it, but this will save you a LOT of trouble, not to mention cash, with your XV8's. Can be done with hammerhead so you can swap the main gun easily. Proxy a commander's special equipment for one or two practice games: not everyone likes'em but if you happen to take a liking to the Cyclic Ion blaster or AFP (well ok Airburst shouldn't be on a commander; waste of BS, give him to a regular xv8 I say) you'll probably want to buy the commander XV8 instead of a regular suit when you increase your numbers. It comes with those little beauties.

1) its that top part on the pathfinder carbines if you have some (underside's the photon grenade launcher). I didn't buy the battleforce, so I don't know if they have spare markerlights in there though... look for bits that look like that...

3) they're like IG with an extra CC attack, come in a larger group and who can infiltrate. I use mine as a 2nd infiltrator team, and actually would rather keep them in the woods than rush into melee. With their special rules, they're fairly safe from things except indirect fire out there... not bad for their cost. just, uh, don't use the krootox. that ruins infiltration.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 13:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok well with a little searching ive found out the answers to 1 and 3 but im still a little confused with what i want to build my battleforce into. Im guessing since i want to do a suppresing fire thing with guys flanking id want to go with the hybrid army. I just need to really know what guys i need to add onto my battleforce to get this kind of army.

edit- Also, if anyone could tell me. Who / what unit should i add on next to what i have now
Old 19 Jun 2006, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

if you like speed, you'll be wanting skimmers.

Devilfish for your Firewarrior squads (look up fish of fury)... With or without SMS (depending on how many points you wanna spare).

Railgun hammerheads are versatile, maneuverable, and have one of the best tank-busting guns in the game... just don't forget the multitracker (seriously. I can't think of any time you wouldn't want to take one). Broadsides can actually bust tanks a little more effectively, but they ARE much slower, and don't have the submunition.

Drone squadrons are adorable: dirt-cheap, deepstriking, fair range, much more accurate than regular firewarriors (twinlinking makes'em 55% average hit chance), and have jetpacks giving them an effective range of 24" with the guns, which just happen to also cause pinning checks and do great against rear armor 10/11 when massed up with 6-8 in a squadron.

Crisis suits are our sole source of missile pods (transport buster and quite good against 4+ saves) and the best place for our rare marine-killing weapons, including the CIB (combine with plasma on a shas'el or shas'O for a serious anti-infantry suit and leave the vehicle killing to other crisis suits, broadsides, railheads or hell even drones and firewarriors if its light). They're maneuverable, relatively tough, and the only "regular" units capable of firing multiple weapons in this way.

I don't really know what else: My usual army is 2 squads of drones, a shas'el with Plasma+CIB (and a targetting array), some stealth suits, one or two deathrains (twinlink missile pods with BSF; cheap but quite useful) usually as 'monats', some firewarriors in devilfish, hammerhead, and a pair of broadsides.

The broadsides have advanced stablisers of course; this improves them to an incredible degree.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetios
Ive played Black templar space marines for about 7 years now and ive decided to start sort of a side project of a Tau army and maybe make them my main army. Basically i found ure guys website and i read the FAQ forums but i mainly wanted to know a few things.

1- The markerlights. are they in sprues? or is it just an upgrade that u dont put on the model itself. And also whats the deal with them besides making the ballistic skill of Fire warriors 5 and who can use them?
Actually, the markerlight only allows Tau to fire at +1 BS now, but has many more options for its uses. Anyway, the markerlight does not come in a model bit, so you just have to remember that you have them on a firewarrior, or other models. You can make it out of green stuff, or a piece of plastic bit, (not too big).

Quote:
2- I bought the battleforce to start, can any1 recomend some places to upgrade after i finish building and painting that? I basically want a force thats has alot of guys providing fire power while a few guys flank.
You should probably approach some Heavy Support. They will allow you big guns, (like you wanted), and all parts of Tau armies are flexible, (resulting in flanking when needed).

Quote:
There are three ways to use your kroot.

Meat-Shield-

A lot of people choose to use this to protect their units, but I find it a waste of points, as it will only last a turn or two, (kroot have bad toughness, and no saves). It involves setting your kroot in a certain formation, or line to get in the way of normal enemy fire, resulting in the safety of your other troops.

Foot Soldier-

A steady line to fire like your normal troops, taking into close combat when needing to stall approaching enemy troops, (kroot are quite decent at close combat). Upgrading your squads with hounds, and a Krootox is a great way to help in this particular kroot tactic, as they all have close combat brilliance, and the Krootox's guns can cause quite some damage.

Infiltrators-

The tactic I use the most. Kroot can deploy behind trees, and jungles, (or anything else), gaining them great cover saves, (especially in jungles with their ability). They are at the best point at this moment, they can choose to stay and shoot, (resulting in quite a few close up blows), or can wait to charge the enemy when they're close, (kroot get a massive amount of attacks when charging, and with their WS, and S characteristics, have a good chance of hitting/wounding.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok thanks for the help. Im actually thinking now that ive researched more of going with a sort of Mech/hybrid build. Get 2 HH's and no broadsides. Get a el with fireknife. Have 1 squad or 2 of fire warriors and have one in DF. have a small squad of 12 kroots and 3-6 Stealths. then from there 2-3 Crisis. That would prolly be my basic 1000 point army. BTW what does CIB stand for
Old 19 Jun 2006, 18:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Nice, another convert... ask any questions. I know tau fairly well, and am more than willing to put myself forward for PMs if you want.

Quote:
marmerlights. Have a look at the pathfinder blister. see the carbines? they've got the barrel, the underslung grenade launcher, and thing on top of the carbine. that's the marlerlight. That said, you don't have to do it that way.

you can say they're inside the tau's helmet.
you can file off the grenade launcher on carbines, and glue them onto rifles, or convert them other ways, and say they're markerlights.
you can improvise. Use SM telescopic sights, or any other bitz you have. its really, up to you.
and dont feel like you have to go out and buy pathfinders. Use some basic fire warriors and give them carbines. just leave off the shoulder pad, and they'll pass as pathfinders.

Interestingly, with regard to what they can do, i think you're looking at the old codex. New codex has changed how markerlights work. Instead of one model hitting on a 2+ with no cover save allowed for the weapon using the markerlights, they now do a variety of different things. For each "hit", you get a "counter". you can "spend" each counter in a variety of ways.

for example, a squad can use a counter to up its BS by one.

So, a 3 man crisis suit team with plasmas and missile pods can use one markerlight hit and up the BS to 4. thats 6 plasma and 6 pod shots at bs4!

you can spend multiple hits to up your BS, generally to a max of 5.

a squad using a light can reduce the cover save of the guys they're shooting at by one.

So, light a marine squad in a wood (5+ cover save) Markerlight them, and shoot them, with say, an ion cannon. use a hit to reduce their save from 5+ to 6+. And you can spend multiple hits to reduce their cover to zero.

you can reduce the targets leadership by one for each hit.

light them. and say, you shoot them with pathfinders. their carbines will cause a pinning test. you can spend a counter to reduce a guard squad, say from ld7 to ld6, or less with multiple hits. useful for pinning, or making things run away easier!

you can ignore target priority tests with a markerlight hit.

essentially, thats what they do. Now, to the question of who can use them.
Pathfinders are bought for markerlights!
shas'ui (sergeants) can buy markerlights. its not as good an option as it was.
squads can buy marker drones, and network markerlight drones so the drone spots for its own team.
skyray.
tetra (not GW legal, though...)

you're best off sticking with pathfinders for your markerlight support!

And another thing: any unit in your army can use the markerlight "hits", whether its a broadside, or a kroot squad.

Quote:
Firstly, with a tau army, i will recommend the following. all 3 heavy support slots? fill them.

either take 3 hammerheads (2 rail, one ion, and load up with multi trackers, decoy launchers, and target locks)
or take a railgun hammerhead, an ion cannon hammerhead, and a brace of broadsides.
sniper drones are interesting, but i say leave them at home.

Now, for the rest of it, you want a firebase. that to me is a few Fire Warrior squads. And you want flankers. thats 2 squads of kroot, right there. the rest is up to you, but i would say take 2 shas'els and maybe a few more suits to back it up. that part, is obviously up to you, but i will happily go through army design, and what you need in a tau army.

Quote:
Kroot. second best thing in the tau codex. how to use them? lots of ways!

counter assault. Kroot on the charge are deadly. a full squad, or even a biggish squad with a few hounds will be extremely dangerous to anything on the charge. keep them in a position where they can counter attack things that will hit your line, or infiltrate them where they can hit things in the other guys army.

fire support. kroot have bolters. and big squads. they're decent shots, and their guns can put the hurt into most things. dont be afraid of not getting into cc. kroot are extremely useful for their shooting, and their rapid firing.

other tips: use cover. kroot have no armour. in the open, you throw a rock at them, and they fall over. stick them in forests if at all possible.

infiltrate. this makes kroot extremely useful. you have a unit to counter any threat the other guy has, as yours can deply almost anywhere. you can, essentially stick 'em where they're needed most.

i hope I've answered some bits of it for you. feel free to ask more!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 19 Jun 2006, 20:10   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok cool,
I guess what worries me now is that the battleforce comes with XV25 stelths. I dont have the set or the codex yet(comes in 1- 2 more days) and i was kinda worried when reading Mech builds that had 4-6 stelth guys cause they all mentioned the XC15s. Can any1 give me some info on the XV25's and whats bettter about them then the XV15s and how much more do they cost point wise.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 02:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

XV15s and 25s are the exact same thing as far as gameplay is concerned, except that XV15s look a lot better. ;D

Model wise, the 25s come 3 to a box, and will probably be more expensive than the 15s. They have bitz to represent support systems. With the new codex ALL stealth suits may take support systems, both 15s and 25s... but since the 25s were designed with that in mind they come with the bitz for it.

XV15s come in blister packs of 2 for $10 USD. So a full team is $30. I've heard that the box of 3 XV25s is at or near $30 itself! Terrible move, GW... I could be wrong about the price though. The XV25 box will come out in the next few months, it is our Cities of Death release.

Like I said in your army list thread, 2 HHs might be a bit much for 1000 points... or not. > I regularly take 3 hammerheads in 1500 point games, but there's just something about that low, 1000 number that makes me think twice... I could be wrong though.

The hammerhead is one of the best tanks in the game. Our troops are less than spectacular, but a big mob of kroot can be fun, and it's always nice to be able to pull off a double fish of fury attack with two mounted fire warrior squads.

Our fast attack choices are still sort of oddballs... they are quirky, but most people find at least one of them useful in some way. Drones are mobile infantry, Vespids are glass marine killers and rapid redeployers, Pirannhas force your opponent to choose between them and your heavier tanks, and pathfinders are great but tough to use, and generally work better in larger games.

Sniper drones are specialized, but I have heard nothing but good reviews from people that play with them. Broadsides are the ultimate anti-tank, but slow. The skyray seems to be a novelty for now... although you should buy all your tanks as skyrays. Same price as a hammerhead and you get extra sprues.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wrong, direstrike, you get one target lock and one drone controller. Per the rules the entire squad needs to take the system or the team leader can take the hard wired versions (which don't need to be on the model).
Closed Thread