Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I've created a monster! - Help!
Closed Thread
Old 19 Jun 2006, 08:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default I've created a monster! - Help!

I recently made (with help) a Chaos army for a friend of mine interested in 40K. The problem is, now that I've created this army, I have no idea how to defeat it.

Basically what stuffs me up is my friend's "command squad". It consists of a nasty tooled up Nurgle Demon prince (with Jump Pack), attached to a squad of raptors with Flamers (and the Mark of Nurgle). The problem is, that this whole squad has the Infiltrate Veteran skill. They all have a 12' move. The rules for infiltrate means that he can set them up 18' away from me. This means he can charge me on the first turn! So basically if I don't get first turn my army has to waste a few turns running away from and shooting them. When you are being shot by 7 heavy bolters a turn that's a very long wait. In some cases, getting the first turn makes little difference anyway, because he can usually place them behind a building large enough to give a hefty cover save or block line of sight.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to beat this thing? With a more or less static army?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 19 Jun 2006, 08:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: I've created a monster! - Help!

Use a sacrifice unit to draw his command squa to where you want them to be.

Ie move a Firewarriors squad close to him but further away from your main army. He can either go for the squad and be in the open or he can go for your army and have this squad blast him as he moves to your army.

Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

wait, am I wrong or are the raptors not allowed to have the mark of Nurgle?

yup, just rechecked and they can only have the mark of chaos undivided.

As far as infiltrating, the last I checked they had to be over 18" away unless they were out of line of sight. I know its rules lawyering, but technically he can't charge you first turn. (unless he is able to deploy out of line of sight)
Old 19 Jun 2006, 10:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

he cant have raptors, but he can get demonic speed on his retinue

use kroot(or any infiltrator) to "push back" his infilraters from ur main firebase. alternatively deploy at least 7" apart so they cant jump from one unit to the next.

i havent played any infiltators like this hope this helps.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 10:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough........

The Raptors are not his official retinue. They are two seperate squads. As the lord is an independent character, he can join up with the Raptor unit. Which he does at the beggining of the game.

Raptors not allowed the Mark of Nurgle? Hmm..... interesting. I'll have to change a few things round then.

As far as infiltrating, the last I checked they had to be over 18" away unless they were out of line of sight.

I know. 12' move, 6' charge. 12 + 6 = 18. Usually he is closer than that though (he hides behind a building or wall)

use kroot(or any infiltrator) to "push back" his infilraters from ur main firebase.

I've thought of this, but there is always a chance he will beat me in the Infiltrators roll. In which case this dosen't work.

lternatively deploy at least 7" apart so they cant jump from one unit to the next.

Usually what happens is the squad he charges manages to stay alive for at least one turn. It's during MY assualt phase that he usually wipes out all opposition. So he has his entire move to get in range of another unit.

But this is good advice. I just have to hope we wipes my unit out.

Thanks for that everyone.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 19 Jun 2006, 12:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin

As far as infiltrating, the last I checked they had to be over 18" away unless they were out of line of sight.

I know. 12' move, 6' charge. 12 + 6 = 18. Usually he is closer than that though (he hides behind a building or wall
MORE than 18", 12+6=18, not more than 18. just have a squad sacrifice themselves for the greater good, then as soon as he wipes them out you open up with everything you own on him.

Old 19 Jun 2006, 12:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

... or go mech and out manuver him. I am assuming this is most of his army (or at least a good chunk) so just manuver away (you have speed to get away). Or, you could double FoF him to death. Finally, don't foget he is pretty much useless against your tanks (that squad, anyway) so your safe in transports.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 19 Jun 2006, 13:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think you're screwed with a static army. He'll go from unit to unit assaulting. Scary.

Um, do you have any vehicles that can block his movement? You might be able to put up a wall of tanks around your Fire Warriors to block his assaults, although you'd have to be close together, making you vulnerable to large blast weapons.

The only other option I can see is to go mech.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I run into this situation with my static Imperial Guard army at every tournament I attend. The 4th addition rules have made it harder for shooty armies to deal with the faster, heavy assault geared armies of the 40K world and there are plenty of them! Even if you do manage to stay clear of his charging main attack force I find there's only so far you can run before you run into a second assaulty squad that finally drags you into melee. Neither the Guard or Tau (which is the army I'm presently working on) do very well in hand to hand. So ya, tanks and vehicles a plenty is good advice I suppose. I'm at the point where nothing is 'too much' against these melee combat monsters!
Old 19 Jun 2006, 16:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Can't have Nurgle DP joined with Raptors.

Anyway, go with the sacrafical group and try to shoot the the deamonic speed freak when you get a chance. Either with guard or tau just give him 60 points so he doesn't wreck your entire line. :P
Closed Thread