Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Would like some advice against an Eldar army
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jun 2006, 10:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Would like some advice against an Eldar army

I have very little knowledge of the Eldar. I am quite new to 40k as a whole as well as Tau. I play against an Eldar player and although I don't know the names of the units etc. but maybe I can describe what I am up against. The guy usually only deploys a Seer Council or something on the first turn with about a dozen or so guys in it. It seems every one has psychic abilities. He then on the second turn usually(maybe because we've played escalation several times,not sure) creates some kind of portals and then out jump like 60 Guardians( I think) and several units lightly armored vehicles. He ends up with rerolls on many invulnerable as well as regular saves.

I've just had a tough time, it isn't a massacre(I lose of course) but I can't figure out how to tip the scales at all and effectively negate all of his psychic abilities, invulnerable saves and rerolls on everything.

If i've been to vague, I apologize. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Game size has usually been 1850-2000 points if that helps.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Would like some advice against an Eldar army

wow, to be a new player and have to face an ulthwe seer council. Boy are you getting screwed over.

first thing you need to do is show us your list, and try to get a copy of his list. with that information we can probably help you a lot more.

but in the meantime, take 3 hammerheads with railguns and use submunitions on him every turn. he has to fail those tests some time.

normally I would say 3 is overkill, but if he is playing an ulthwe army against you and your new, then he deserves everything coming to him.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 11:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Missile pods. Just take a bunch.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 18 Jun 2006, 14:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've never had the... er... from what I've read about those guys I'm not sure pleasure's an appropriate term... of fighting a craftworld army like that...

But eldar are eldar: submunitions, cyclic-ion-blasters and missile pods take good care of them.

While I'm not sure how valid this would be since if they're all farseers they'll have high Ld scores, but a few markerlight hits to drop their leadership followed by some pinning might do them a world of hurt... and if nearly all psychic powers need LoS, SMS systems will slaughter them.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 17:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually the problems that his opponents army will represent are the rerollable 4+ inv. saves (on all the models in the unit) caused by casting fortune (i think thats the one). meaning that he needs to be able to cause a lot of wounds every turn. then you need to take into account the other psychic powers that they can take.

Basically your trying to learn the game and your "friend" is playing a tournament winning army against you. You have 3 real choices here, either out cheese him, stick to your guns and play a fair and balanced list or don't play him again.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

take missile pods and burst cannons on your suits(missile pods will take down skimmers and aspect warriors, burst cannons can eat up troops), take ion cannons on your hammerheads(rails are overkill against weak fast skimmers, and many aspect warriors have 3+ saves) and if your opponent goes pysker heavy go with loads of fire warriors. Just sit there and pour pulse fire at his command squads and chuckle as they use amazing powers and invulnerable saves to try and stop simple pulse rifles.

Old 18 Jun 2006, 21:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Only take an ion cannon if he has 3+ save stuff that is really annoying, like jetbikes. Missile pods will be doing your anti-vehicle work. I'd say take 3 rails and just submunition over and over and over.

If he gets wise to this and starts spacing out, switch your list later to pure pulse fire. Lots and lots of stealths, Fire Warriors and Devilfish with SMS. Here is yet another case where kroot are actually better at shooting than fire warriors! Kroot cause .047 wounds per point against T3, and pulse fire causes .041. Kroot will also do really well against plain guardians in combat, and can swamp expensive units low in number, like jetbikes.

My eldar codex is incomplete, and I've never played against a seer council... Would it be advisable to lock down the council in combat? Mainly, can they still cast while in combat, and do they have any spells to enhance their combat skills? Drones, Kroot with a shaper (for the ld), Vespid (again the LD, and T) and a Shas'O with stim injectors/shield gen would all be good things against the unit... if this is good advice in the first place. =/

Really though you say you're a new player. That probably means you have limited models, options, and possible army lists. What have you got to work with?
Old 18 Jun 2006, 23:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Missile pods. Just take a bunch.
he so right u cant go wrong with lots of missile pods HH with railguns maybe two broadsids for a wrathlord and stay Mobile take out his mobility first then he will fall

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 19 Jun 2006, 01:54   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the comments, they give me much to consider.

This is his competitive tournament list, he did inform me of that. The first time I played him I beat him and then he's improved the list increasingly from there. I intended for my list to be well rounded for taking on anyone and having a chance. My list looks something like this:

1 Shas'el PR,MP,TA,HWMT
2 Monat Shas'ui PR,MP,TA,HWMT, Teamleader
6 Stealth with DC and 6 Gun Drones
3 12 man squads of FWs
2 20 Kroot squads
1 HH RG,SMS,MT,TL,DL,DP
1 HH Ion,SMS,MT,TL,DL,DP
2 XV88 A.S.S,Teamleader,HWTL,HWDC, 2 Shield Drones

I also recently added a Devilfish and 4-5 Pathfinders, the rest has varied between a Krootox and other small upgrades. This is around 1850 range. I do face a variety of opponents, but i'm not against tailoring a list to compete against this guy when I do. It's just the rerolls on invuln. 4+, the 60 Guardians that jump out of the table and then Fleet towards me, and the funny Mind War and other psychic powers which I have no real way to block.

Thinking about advice given here I may have a weakness in my deployment against him as well. I think much of it could be just lack of experience on my part. Any further advice is appreciated, thank you guys.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 02:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Do you have more models besides the PFs/fish/krootox? Let's start with the list you've got there...

Shas'el - Doesn't seem the plasma is useful in this match. Either of the two special issue weapons would be quite useful. Even a burst cannon would probably be more helpful than the plasma. In fact, the cib/burst cannon/TA shas'el would be a great gun for this matchup, an absolute storm of shots and even the S3 cib has a fair chance to wound the eldar.

Quote:
2 Monat Shas'ui PR,MP,TA,HWMT, Teamleader
Again the pr are useless, or near enough. Can be changed to pure deathrain, with TA or flamer, increasing effectiveness and saving lots of points.

Quote:
6 Stealth with DC and 6 Gun Drones
Does this unit get caught in combat a lot? It seems really... big. See if you can split the drones off into a separate squad.

Quote:
3 12 man squads of FWs
2 20 Kroot squads
No devilfish, argh! =p Anyway, even fire warriors on foot are great against Eldar. The kroot should be really useful also. If you've got extra points, consider the Shaper upgrade, for the leadership, to make them stick around in combat or just in the pillbox.

Quote:
1 HH RG,SMS,MT,TL,DL,DP
1 HH Ion,SMS,MT,TL,DL,DP
Good setup. I'd say switch the ion to a railgun. You're not gonna get through his armor saves anyway. The ion is good for one thing - tank hunting, perhaps better than the rail against annoying eldar skimmers.

Quote:
2 XV88 A.S.S,Teamleader,HWTL,HWDC, 2 Shield Drones
Unless the guy has wraithlord(s), these guys are a huge waste of points.
Closed Thread