Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Theoretical take on the new tau codex - impending doom?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jun 2006, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Theoretical take on the new tau codex - impending doom?

Don't be discouraged by the title above, but after reading through the new Tau Empire codex, and comparing it to the old one, I can't half help feeling that the atmoshpere is much more menacing than before...

Take the references to the uncertain loyalty of the fire warriors in Shadowsun's background...the suspected sanctioning of Farsight's "acolyte" Brightsword... the references in Tau military structure - a coalition - that "in the unlikely event that any caste rebels" the structure has the advantage of tying it down...

I also noticed that "Arthas Moloch" is pretty foreboding name for the world that O'shova gets his dawn blade from; in Paradise Lost, MOLOCH is the daemon who argues that Satan and his rebels wage open war against heaven. See the similarity? Pushing the point perhaps further, could we reasonably suppose that Farsight's story, like Horus's, has certain similarities with Satan's Fall?

And all of this but "Arthas Moloch" seemed missing from the purely optimistic & united nature of the first book. No flaming please, but what does everyone else think? In my eyes at least, the Tau empire seems a whole lot grimmer than before... :-\
Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross
Default Re: Theoretical take on the new tau codex - impending doom?

This is a VERY interesting Idea, and it opens the door for an almost Chaos like split for the Tau. I wonder what GW is going with the whole split and story line?
Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It probably would never happen, but the idea of dark Tau would be cool. I can certainly see if the ethereals united the Tau for their own purpose, and the greater good is actually a higher power controlling the ethereals and Tau. Something similar to the C'tan.

Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Much of this was discussed long ago when the codex fist came out. The Tau Empire codex is deffinetly a lot darker than before. Id however do a forum search and find the old topics if you wish the discussion to continue, no need for new threads.

Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

One thing I think is bad about the new codex is

The lack of rules ( clarification )
The old codex had a nifty 2 pages about battlesuits and some other rules.
Now the rules we need are in tiny littly boxes.

Ontopic though :

I think thats a bit to far fetched there
Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Yes... it does seem rather farfetched. On the "Greater Good controls all" thing, do we know where the ethereals came from, yet?

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 16 Jun 2006, 23:20   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Gentlemen, I unfortunately am have to disagree. I have a bad feeling that GW is going to slowly pull the Farsight Enclaves away from the mainline tau. My reasons: There are two different unrelated conversions that have pictured Tau models, Farsight models, with Necron parts. There haven't been any with chaos conversions but both have been featured in GW related articles.

What I don't want is a confrontation between Farsight and Shadowsun. Vor'la still has some ties, not many but that is where Farsight is from and still draws some warriors. Shadowsun on the otherhand is directly against him and is the "new coming or the chosen one" to lead the forces of the Tau into the 3rd expansion.

What I forsee happening is this:

1. 3rd expansion ends, and the Etherials give the go ahead for Shadowsun to attack Arthas Moloch or an Enclave world. Reference: Shadowsun destroys the statue of Farsight and the Firewarriors cheer. Civil war starts and you have Tau killing Tau, perfect time for the Imperium to attack the Tau Empire and "teach it a lesson." The universe gets even darker.

2. The truth about Farsight is revealed, Farsight has been possessed (I don't really think so) but is more likely to have something to do with the Necrons, i.e. that really is a C'Tan weapon. Again the reference to the multiple picts of conversions.

I wonder what will happen to my army in three to four years....
Old 16 Jun 2006, 23:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

FYI: Moloch is also god that ancient Canninites sacrificed their children to (through fire).

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 17 Jun 2006, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsightwarrior01
I wonder what will happen to my army in three to four years....
Depends on what we allow them to get away with. If everyone here likes the idea of their Tau going Necron, then GW will do that. If we don't like it, and don't buy the models, then GW will make the Tau split like the Imperium and Chaos. For myself, I want my army as non- (Necron/Chaos/Evil) as possile. I LIKE the idea of a modern army in 40K. In fact I'm going to a tourney tomorrow and hope like heck that I am one of the few Tau players there (I HATE playing against another Tau! :'(). I'm hoping for a lot of Marines, Orks, &/or bugs.
Old 17 Jun 2006, 00:44   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well its not a rumor so ill post it here, farsight is getting a new model currently being sculpted/made so when his new figure comes out im pretty sure this will shed some light on his where-abouts. also i dont think tau will ever become a dark race that would be lame and doesnt really fit, what i think may happen is a couple new special new rules for farsight and some flufff that will have farsight and his warriors fight in kind of tau version of the american revolution. which would be cool, because it would be a split but no choas/necrons kind tint to it and it would be like 2 modern armies fighting.

ya know while im on a roll ill say a few more things, i geuss in game if farsight is (theoretically) given new rules his army could have like a startegy of a rating of 3 instead of 1 or a higher bs for all for all FW to show that they are all hardended veterans which i think with all his restriction would make this fair. also the possibilty of taking kroot mercs from the kroot mercs list/FAQ instead of the standard kroot which i think would be great cause i love the kroot FAQ/list. maybe even ally with orks....
Closed Thread