Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

'Market Garden' tactic for Tau?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Jun 2006, 10:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to GueVesaUnit
Default 'Market Garden' tactic for Tau?

I recently heard the full version about the battle for Arnhem in WWII and the tactic used in Operation Market Garden. Now I wonder...would it be useful for Tau?

My plan is to deepstrike anything possible (except Commander, he serves an infantry support role), and drop it all behind them, to have them fighting two fronts here and delay their assault. Is this good or could it be worked out a bit better? Just asking for your two cents.

[shadow=red,left]Ko'vash Tau'va,
Skyhunter[/shadow]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
If we were all normal, we wouldn't be talking on this forum every single bloody day, instead of breathing in some fresh air once in a while. Anyone remember what the sun looks like? I think it was a sphere...
[quote=Ineluki]
Weirdo? Please, you're as normal as I am. ...wait, what?
Old 16 Jun 2006, 13:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 'Market Garden' tactic for Tau?

I don't think it will work well with Tau.
Reasons

1.) You will have to Deep Strike right in to their lines , meaning the Deep Strike teams will take allot of fire.

2.) After their done shooting you up they will assault with anything available.

The result will be high loses to total destruction to the Deep Striking teams with little benefit.

I do like this idea as a scenario , it will still be difficult to pull of but could be fun.
Set up would go something like this.

Roll to see who is the attacker and defender ( low roll is the defender)
Roll to see who gets first turn.

The defender deploys in the center of the table.

The attacker deploys his army via Deep Strike beginning on turn 1 needing a 4+ to drop in turn 2 is a 3+ etc.

Special rules : All models in the attacking force must Deep Strike to enter the board. All models must follow the Deep Strike rules and are considered to have moved the turn they entered.

Fluff wise the attacking force is being deployed via a rarely used methods.

Tau come in from Manta Missile Destroyers
Eldar and Dark Eldar via Grav packs
Imp Guard via parachute drop
Marines are teleporting
Orks via lifta dropas
Chaos warp rifts
Necrons are phasing in

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Old 16 Jun 2006, 13:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, it is risky. If you deepstrike battlesuits, you have to give them sufficient weaponry or they won't do much good. It's basically a crazy, suicidal, hop-in-and-go-nuts-before-you-die tactic. But yes, it would be amusing.

Oh, and by the way saint, you can only start deepstriking on turn 2

Or were you making special rules and modifications?

Old 16 Jun 2006, 14:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Market Garden parachutists weren't heavy armor or anything...think about drones instead of Crisis suits.

No codex here, and I never use the buggers, but gun drone squadrons can DS, right?

They're cheap, they pin, and time spent meleeing them is time not spent charging into your fire lines.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Old 16 Jun 2006, 14:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Or use orca dropships.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 15:09   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savient
Or use orca dropships.
or just deep strike :

anyways while it would definately be a fun scenario to play like that, and chances are a more useful way to play it, it would fail in a normal game for one simple reason

T B
A A
U D

now if you could suspend Deepstrikers long enough so that your opponent has left his side desserted then you could use the tactic, meaning about 4 turns of unlucky rolls and only about 1-2 of your 150 points squads actually doing something.

Old 16 Jun 2006, 16:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhunter
I recently heard the full version about the battle for Arnhem in WWII and the tactic used in Operation Market Garden. Now I wonder...would it be useful for Tau?

My plan is to deepstrike anything possible (except Commander, he serves an infantry support role), and drop it all behind them, to have them fighting two fronts here and delay their assault. Is this good or could it be worked out a bit better? Just asking for your two cents.

[shadow=red,left]Ko'vash Tau'va,
Skyhunter[/shadow]
Hey man

Deep striking many, many squads at the same time, or near the same time, can be hazardous simply because each squad you put down, raises the risk factor of you losing models and/or units completely. Deep strike is a wonderful thing for sudden strikes, like a Sun Forge or a Death Rain team falling near a vehicle to take advantage of them. It's great for gun drones, falling around for rear armor attempts or quick pins on easy-to-damage heavy weapon teams (like Eldar teams). But building the army around it, doesn't quite work like it does for an army like Drop Pods or Drop Troop Guard.

Here's an alternative suggestion though:

GunDrones & Monats. You can make plenty use of them with deep striking. However, there are things to aid them with:

Pathfinder Devilfish - It has a beacon, which allows you to re-roll scatter dice to units in line of sight.

Special Issue Wargear - Positional Relay. It allows you to ensure one unit arrives on a 2+, instead of a 4+. But it also prevents all other units in reserve from entering play. It's a way of literally holding back units from entering the table too soon. So for example, you could use two small teams of Gun Drones to hold down your deep strike for turns 2 and 3 (each arrive on a 2+ on their turns due to the Relay). That keeps your two monats or teams of XV8's in reserves for turn 4--where they arrive on a 2+ anyways. And you don't have to use the positional relay to make them arrive. You "may" use the relay. If you choose to use it for your first turns, then choose not to use it later, you can arrive everything else on turn 4, on a 2+ regardless (since that's what things arrive on in turn 4 anyways).

(More information here)

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for. But an alternative idea

Turn 4 deep strike. If you wanted to do it en masse. That's a way of making it happen on a 2+ for everyone. And if you keep Devilfish from Pathfinders handy, you can re-roll scatter in case you get some bad rolls.

Cheers!
Old 16 Jun 2006, 21:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Would certainly be an interesting fight, but, as stated, the DS forces would get shot up... oh, and by the way, Saint, Marines tend to deploy from drop pods a lot, too.... probably more than teleporting IMO.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 16 Jun 2006, 21:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

For those of you who don't know about market garden:

Imagine the Elysian Drop Troops need to destroy an Exodite city. They drop in, but scatter really bad. Imagine they need to go down a 12 mile road to get to the target.

Oh, and Altioc has Rangers on both sides of the road.

Meanwhile, your Commissar is standing right in the open, walking back and forth down the road, urging you on, walking aroudn like a badass while you cower for cover.

Yea. Sounds like something Space Marines or Guard could pull off. Not Tau.

Harrassers, in the form of a squadron of Gun drones, are highly viable.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 16 Jun 2006, 23:02   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Pathfinder Devilfish - It has a beacon, which allows you to re-roll scatter dice to units in line of sight.
Defiantly worth it...

But I wouldn't want to be the element that hit the last bridge. Ya the 66th Panzer could easily be subsuited for bugs or chaos spawn. I am not in favor of this. We need to recon an aggressive recon and conduct either a defense in depth or a Mobile defense. Both are applicable in our fluff.