Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Point Tau Army List
Closed Thread
Old 05 Dec 2004, 09:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1500 Point Tau Army List

Ahem,

Although I'm a strong Necron and Ork player, Tau have always been on the horizon. I generally aim for an army that I can use in any situation - it broaden's the tactical mind, save's money, and allows me to develop a strong history around my army. Also it prepares me for tournaments - I was a big warhammer tournament fan, I intend it to be the same for 40k. Anyway enough chat, here is my Tau army.

Note: I don't like Kroot - as much as i want to include lanky, featherless birds which have had a porcupine thrown at the back of the head that tear apart their victims with theirs beaks included in an army dedicated to honor and firepower

Note: I do understand the severe implications of not having the staying power, counter-attack powers, and diversionary power of kroot on my side. Flightless, featherless birds are so silly

No offense intended for those who favour Kroot. My apologies if I do.

Tau 1500 Army List - Commander Mont'ka O St'kor Shi Ke'lshan - Commander of “Warriors of the Storm"

HQ Shas'O - Twin Plasma Rifles, Fusion Blaster, Hard-Wired Target Lock, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker - 128p

HQ 2 XV8 Battlesuit Body Guards - Twin Plama Rifles, Missle Pod, Hard-Wired Multi-Trackers - 176p

E Team Leader XV8 - Twin Plasma Rifles, Missle Pod, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker - 83p

E Team Leader XV8 - Twin Plasma Rifles, Missle Pod, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker - 83p

E 4 XV15 Stealth Suits - 120p

T 6 Fire Warriors - Pulse Rifles - Shas'ui - 70p

FA 7 Pathfinders - 3 Rail-rifles, 3 Target-Lock Interfaces, Shas'ui - 155p

FA DevilFish - 80p

HS Broadside Battlesuit - Twin-Linked Railguns, Smart Missle System, Multi-Tracker - 75p

HS Broadside Battlesuit - Twin-Linked Railguns, Smart Missle System, Multi-Tracker - 75p

HS Hammerhead Gunship - Railgun, Smart Missle System, Target Lock, Multi-Tracker - 175p

Total 1500p

Any thoughts? Idea's? Abuse? Money? I'll need it - this would be a third army

" I see destruction...death...darkness...the doom of all that was created by the ancients. Doom awaits us all by the hand's of those who feasted upon the star's when we were nothing, and so they shall when we are nothing. That is the future I see...and I fear...because the last brother, I know that it has seen this grim future as well"

- Farseer El'Ueli, Proclaiming the presence of the last C'tan, The Watcher

"And all shall be ashes, dust and death within his sight"
Old 05 Dec 2004, 10:25   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: somewhere in the UK, plotting to take over the world
Default Re: 1500 Point Tau Army List

Three things, firstly where do you intend to get 10 plasma rifles, the crisis suits only come with one so you would have to buy 10 crisis suits, thats £50 extra than the crisis suits you plan on using.
Secondly I understand why you want to use the body guards to have twinlinked plasma rifles but i would advise going for plasma rifle, missile pod and multi tracker combos as £50 is allot of money for 5 guns or 40 points, but then you could add them to the standard crisis suits at 10 points less saving points. Also if your shas'o is independent and near another crisis team he can't be targeted, but in a squad he can.
Lastly it doesn't matter where you find the points but you need more fire warriors, most people will tell you that the 30 you have isn't enough for a 1000 point game, fire warriors are some of the most effective units in the army and you need lots of them.

some people have told me to get a life but i can't find anywhere on the internet to download one

world domination planned for next Thursday
Old 05 Dec 2004, 10:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It looks like you plan to play this army like I would play my Imperial Guard, stand there, shoot and hope your enemy won't get to CC with you. This isn't going to work for the Tau, what you need is more firewarriors because they're cheap and flexable and you need to make them mobile so you can run away when you enemy gets close.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 19:58   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would have 18 stealthsuits thats 54 spots that killing around 10+ marines(probably)
coun'bei
Old 06 Dec 2004, 00:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Tau Commander Send a message via MSN to Tau Commander

18 stealth suits means 3 sqauds of 6. that takes up alot of points and all of your elite slots i believe. id rather save those for some crisis suits wich are more versatile. im not saying stealths are bad becasue i field six but i believe only 6 are needed.

want a sig or avatar like mine? http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=29403.0 request there and i'll do w/e you want
i used to be Tau_va back in the day o_0
Old 07 Dec 2004, 04:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To answer all the questions:

1. Yes i recently discovered only one plasma rifle is supplied. I'm not as of yet sure what I intend to do about the fact GW is diabolical enough to give the option of twinlinked weapons, but not supply them. Highly dissapointing (as per usual). However a plasma weapon hitting on a 4+ ain't that thrilling espically when crisis suits are meant to make critical surgical strikes, not rely on mass fire (like stealthsuits) to get the kills. That re-roll might be critical so we will see

2. Bah. Mobile Tau? You mean squad's of 12 with Devilfish's? 210 points? With my other two armies I can easily blow them out of the sky and then there's 130 points of Tau sitting their looking silly. No, small squads are expendable, can still rapid fire and move. And the stealthsuits, crisis suits and hammerhead can all fire on the move, as can the pathfinders if need be. And what would i replace in the army for more firewarriors? there's simply nothing i want to dispose of - maybe the twin linked plasma rifles but i doubt that's gonna amount to 70 points.

I can name far to many things that can move 12-24" inch's and anniliate a squad of Tau. I would rather them anniliate 70 points of Tau instead of 130, leaving a 80p burst cannon floating around.
" I see destruction...death...darkness...the doom of all that was created by the ancients. Doom awaits us all by the hand's of those who feasted upon the star's when we were nothing, and so they shall when we are nothing. That is the future I see...and I fear...because the last brother, I know that it has seen this grim future as well"

Old 14 Dec 2004, 00:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

HEEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO (tigger style hehehe) 8)

Old 14 Dec 2004, 00:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why not have 2 squads of 12 and 1 squad of 6? It would make it a lot easier... ???
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

hmmm what about dropping the hq body guards for some mobile drones, maybe a couple of units.....otherwise I mean I see no problems with the other forces and units......so yeah I suggest drones for some screening for the hq and maybe some pinning.....that is a BIG maybe....

just my two cents....
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

You will have the extra weapons from the Broadsides, mind. *It uses the exact same plastic sprues as the Crisis. *The railguns, footbraces and power system are all metal bits.

I like the idea of using as many Fire Warrior squads as the organizational chart allows, rather than a few large squads. *In my experience, only close-combat armies reap much benefit from maxing out squad size. *You don't loose any firepower with more, smaller squads, but your enemy must target them individually. *If one gets locked in CC, it is really less of a loss.

Also, you might consider giving drones to the broadsides. *Your enemy will find it very frustrating that he has to pop them before he can get at the suit itself.
Closed Thread