Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs. Tau Battle Report
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jun 2006, 05:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default [BatRep] Tau vs. Tau Battle Report

yo, I got a game in today, and I THINK this is where I'm supposed to put it... if it isn't, then feel free to move it. The batrep was put in because I read that it is used as a search handle for battle reports.

One of my friends and I were sitting around, waiting for someone to come in and play us, and i finally got bored and decided to challenge him to a skirmish. I asked him what he could field and he said that he could only field 540 points (He's just starting out, as am I, but I have put more into my army so far). So I whipped up a quick list that matched to about 540 . Here are the lists below, mine 1st and his 2nd.

HQ: Shas'O
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Plasma Rifle
(HW) Drone Controller
Shield Drone
(HW) Multi-Tracker

Elites: Crisis suit (Mon-at&#39
Burst Cannon
Missile pod
(HW) Multi Tracker
Team Leader Status
Shield Gen.

Infantry: 2 squads of 6 Fire Warriors
2x Shas'ui with Markerlights

Heavy Support: Hammerhead
Railgun
Burst Cannons
Disruption Pod
Target Lock
Multi Tracker

END OF LIST

2nd list:

HQ: Shas'O
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Shield Gen.
(HW) Multi-Tracker

Infantry: 2 squads of 10 Fire Warriors
No extra stuff

Fast Attack: Pathfinder Squad (3)
Shas'ui
Shield Drone
Devilfish (Required) (No extras)

Drone Squad (10 or 12, don't remember :\ )

END OF LIST

BOARD SETUP:
I want to say that the board was about 4ft by 4ft, with one large hill in the rear-center, one even larger hill to the top-right,starting about 3in. away from the right edge and 6in. away from the top and ending about 1.2ft. down the table. There was Impassable Terrain on either end of the piece. in the bottom right and bottom-middle-left areas there were 2 small hills. In the upper left there was one 5x5 piece of impassable terrain.

OK, now let's get this started! We rolled for table sides and I won, and decided to stay where I was (on the bottom edge of the table). He obviously took the top edge. I also won the deployment roll, and elected to deploy 1st. I deployed my Hammerhead about 10in. from my edge and about 5in. away from the left table edge. Here it had a firing line on most, if not all of the board ( I sense some pain coming...). As he didn't have any HS, I let him deploy his troops. He put one squad behind the Impassable terrain piece on the upper left of the board. He put the other squad behind the top-center piece. I deployed my Elite next, putting him on the right of the board, all 12in. up, making a run for the huge hill in the upper-right. He then deployed his HQ next to his 2nd fire warrior squad in the center. I put 1 squad of troops behind each of the small hills to ensure that he didn't have LoS to them. It was his turn to deploy Fast Attack, so he put the 'Fish (with Pathfinders inside) between the BIG hill and the center hill, right in the firing line of my Hammerhead... My turn. HQ time for me, and i put him just behind the left-rear hill so he wouldn't take any fire 1st turn. I didn't have any fast attack, so we rolled for 1st turn start. I also won that ( The dice gods were being nice to me!).

GAME START!!!!

OK, here it goes! Movement! My Hammerhead moved into a line where he could hit the 'Fish, My Crisis moved up further toward the BIG hill, and my fire warriors advanced to right-behind their respective hills. The commander moved up past the left hill, right in front of my Hammerhead. My hammerhead fired 1st, inflicting a penetrating hit with a weapon destroyed result on the 'Fish, forcing the Pathfinders to disembark and the 'Fish to be degraded to a transport-only role now. No other shooting took place that i could remember. Now it's his turn to exact revenge...he moved the Pathfinders into a position where they could shoot my Crisis, who was nearly to the hill. He moved his commander into the center hill, and the Fire Warriors that were behind the impassable terrain ( top-left) out to the right of the terrain feature, trying to fire at my Commander. After a couple of minuted of arguing that pulse rifles only had 12in. of range after moving, I decided to let him have 2 shots on the commander, even though they were out of range. Plink-Plink. All bounce off of his shield drone's Shielding Matrix. So did his commander's plasma rifle hit, and he rolled snake eyed on his missile pod, both missing. The pathfinders fired at my Crisis, their shots bouncing off. He jetted his commander back behind the hill, and handed me the ruler.

TURN TWO! My Crisis moved into the lane that the top-right terrain feature created with the edge of the table, and the right Fire Warrior squad moved into their hill. Shootin' time. Anyone that doesn't like massed-death, look away. My Hammerhead fired an AWESOME sub-munition round at his Fire Warriors to the right of the Impassable terrain, getting 9 hits and 1 partial. after all rolling, 9 Fire warriors were wiped out, and the other left just sitting there, waiting to take his Man Alone, Pinning, and Casualty test... My Crisis suit fired upon the Pathfinders, taking all of its shots to kill that annoying shield drone. No matter, they were now vulnerable to his full firepower.. but that had to wait until next turn... speaking of the next turn... It was now his 1/2 of the turn. His commander once again moved onto the hill, and this time the squad next to him followed. he still left his droned where they were deployed at, right behind where the commander was. His Pathfinders once again fired upon my Crisis, and again failed to hurt him. His Fire Warriors then shot at my commander, failing to wound. His commander had better luck, inflicting a wound on my commander, reducing him to 3. He once again jetted his commander back, although a bit to the right this time.

TURN THREE!
My Hammerhead (As you may have noticed, I normally fire it 1st) shot another sub-round, this time at the Fire Warriors on the center hill. 7 deaths ensued. My Crisis unloaded on the Pathfinders, killing two. I further jetted my commander 3 inches forward, acting as a lure for his drones, commander, and 3 Fire Warriors. It worked. He moved his commander forward, this time not into cover as to not be wasted by a rail round, but still be able to shoot my commander and the 2 fire warrior squads. He finally decided to retreat his pathfinders behind the BIG hill, and detach his drones from the still- alive 'Fish that was cowering in the exact corner of the table. the Drones fired on my Crisis, actually inflicting a wound. His commander got some more hits on mine, and I decided to have my shield drone take the shots, and the rounds bounced off again.

TURN FOUR!
Here is where all totally goes bad for him.My Hammerhead moved up a bit, into a position that I would exploit next turn. My Hammerhead shot at his commander, his shield gen. somehow absorbing the hypersonic slug. The Burst cannons killed off the last of his troops.My Crisis, angered by the pulse-fire, quickly wastes both drones and kills off the remaining Pathfinders. My Fire Warriors had better luck, wounding his commander, bringing him down to 3 wounds. The 2nd squad of Fire Warriors killed one of his on the hill, and now all he had left was a useless Devilfish, a commander with 2 wounds, 8 drones, and 2 fire warriors.
I gave him the measuring tape, and he promptly moved his 'Fish behind the main hill, and his drones right behind his commander. He finally killed something this turn, his commander and the drone squad killing 3 of my Fire Warriors on the left hill. His Fire Warriors actually wounded my commander, bringing him down to 2. He cowardly jetted all of his units back behind the center piece, and that was the end of his turn.

TURN FIVE!
Now my plan unfolds... my hammerhead moves his full 2ft., getting behind all of his units. my crisis moves onto the BIG hill,and my commander moved up right in front of the center hill. My Fire Warriors shot and missed with their 2 Markerlights. My Hammerhead, having moved his full distance, just hovered there, doubtless scaring his units pretty badly. My Commander wounded his Commander, bringing him down to 2 wounds,too. My Crisis rolled badly, only killing 2 drones. end of my turn. He moved his 'Fish right in front of my Hammerhead, as if trying to block its shots. He moved his drones onto the center hill, and shot at my Hammerhead, not realizing that they couldn't hurt it.

TURN SIX! LAST TURN!
This is where he dies. My commander moves into a position where he could hit the rear armor of the 'Fish. No other movement happened. My Hammerhead landed a sub-round on his drones, killing them all! my commander rolls a 6 for one of his CIB shots, inflicting a penetrating hit with a destroyed result. My Hammerhead's Burst cannons finish off his commander, leaving him with nothing left.

I would say that this went very well, with me only losing 30 points of units, while he lost all 540! My strategy ended up utilizing the lure aspect of Kauyon but the aggressiveness of a Mobile Mont'ka strategy. Not bad for a list I whipped up in 3 minutes and a strategy that I basically made up as I went, although there was a bit of planning toward the end.

feel free to critique and comment!

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 10 Jun 2006, 07:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau vs. Tau Battle Report (batrep)

Well Tau vs. Tau is definitely interesting. I think you guys should have played with the combat patrol rules so things would be fair...

On the topic of fairness, a Hammerhead in a 500 point list is absolute cheese, and though it can be done, I would be pretty unhappy about it. Also a HH is a tank, not a fast vehicle and it cannot move 24" rather it can only move a maximum of 12". The multi-tracker simply allows it to fire as if it were a fast vehicle...not move like one.

His choice of Pathfinders (though I suppose he didn't have a choice), was poor as in such a small game they're a horrible points sink.

Good descriptions though. However, next time I suggest you play Combat Patrol, as the game will be more fair and definitely more enjoyable (at least equally enjoyable for you and your opponent.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 07:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hrm... looking at the rules the MT DOES only apply to firing... oh well, no one noticed . He actually DID have a choice, as he could have used one of my other hammerheads and some of my other units..., and, I do admit that it was kind of a power army... oh well, what's done is done, no? I'll check out the combat patrol next time, thanks!

-Nuke

Old 10 Jun 2006, 11:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well, seeing that you "cheated" your way through this, I really think the win goes to him

Its the main rule of any game, if a participant cheats, willingly or not, he is moved from the game :P
Old 10 Jun 2006, 11:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Even without the move of the HH, you still would have beat him. One shot into each of his firewarrior squads would or should have rendered him combat ineffective, and thas an auto The fact that your skimmed by on your troops to take a HH says alot. Should have played a combat patrol.

This sounds like a case of someone pickingup alot of dice and throwing them on a table and saying "I win"
Old 10 Jun 2006, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Well, at least everyone knows the value of heavy support now. He had exactly one weapon capable of hurting your hammerhead, the missile pod. It should have fired at it every turn, and I suspect it will next time. Still, it's low odds. He may also have learned the value of cover, which would have saved 1/3 of his warriors from the submunitions.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:51   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

CIB is not strong enough to damage rear amour, its only 3, and 10 drones in one squad is illegal. I think you need to read some more of the rules.

Well done BTW, and never play Tau v Tau again as it is horrbile fluff rape unless one is farsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 21:55   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenKnowledge
Well done BTW, and never play Tau v Tau again as it is horrbile fluff rape unless one is farsight
what about training simulations? otherwise i dont think they would fight farsight, they are all Tau after all.

Old 11 Jun 2006, 02:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea, he had called it a "simulation" and ironically i ended up using my O'Shovah as a commander because my other one fell off its base mid game ( I kept the old commander's stats/weapons/etc, obviously). A note on skimming on troops: to be brutally honest, I didn't have any more troops than that at the time after that game i ended up buying another box of FW , though. And Forbidden, on rolls of 6 the CIB counts as Rending/AP1... There probably were only 8 in the drone squad...I was typing off of memory, and because he had his FWs set up in 2 teams of 10, I imagined that his drones would be too, forgetting to check the codex to see if it was legal... now on to direstrike: a note on the Missile Pod: he never even TRIED to shoot at the HH with it... I actually find that odd myself. He knew ahead that I was going to use my railhead, and he had the options of equipping with fusion blasters, or, if he had asked (which he had done the game before that when he needed more units against a kid), he could have used my other Hammerhead...he also had a seeker missile on his 'Fish that he never got around to firing... anyways, be it negative or positive, all of your criticism is welcomed, as we humans can learn from our mistakes and improve next time... (more fair game,no more MT move/fire application, just fire, better rules, etc...). Either way,
Thanks!

-Nuke

Old 11 Jun 2006, 03:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Quote:
on rolls of 6 the CIB counts as Rending/AP1
Nope, it counts as AP1. There is NO rending.
Closed Thread