Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Devilfish a dedicated transport?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jun 2006, 20:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Devilfish a dedicated transport?

Hello

After recieving the new codex Tau Empire I have noticed the following:

That the Devilfish seem to have its own Troop Force Organisation chart slot!

Which means it can be bought as one of the six Troop Org. slots and thereby count as a non-dedicated victorypoint-counting tank with troop-carrying capacity!!!

My arguments are:

1. Its entry has the symbol in the upper left corner indicating that it counts as a seperate Force Org. chart choice.

2. In the text it states: "that it cannot carry troops in XV battlesuits" That would never be an option if it were only meant to be a dedicated transport to non-XV troops.

I know that a similar text is used under a Rhino stating that it may not be used by troops equipped with Terminator armour...but I think it is included as Independent Characters can buy Terminator Armour and later join a unit with a dedicated transport but then not ride along in the transport due to their armour.

3. The game has similar tanks with carrier ability: Eldar Falcon and WH Immolator who both use a seperat Force Org. slot and is non-dedicated.

Furthermore are dedicated transports in other codii gathered on a seperate page and does not have the left-corner symbol. Example: Space Marines have the Rhino, Razorback, etc.

Could it be that Mechanised Tau is getting some leach here? That it would be possible to buy 3 * 12 Firewarriors and 3* non-dedicated Devilfishes to carry them or 6 * 12 Firewarriors with 6 * dedicated Devilfishes...

Am I totally off limits or does I have a point???

Please look the Codex over one more time before replying!!!

"For the Greater Good"
Old 09 Jun 2006, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Devilfish a dedicated transport?

Welcome to the forums!

It is a little vaguer than normal, but I think the consensus is that the Devilfish is still a dedicated transport.

Mace has a good explanation here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...#msg1057977611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassadar

2. In the text it states: "that it cannot carry troops in XV battlesuits" That would never be an option if it were only meant to be a dedicated transport to non-XV troops.

I know that a similar text is used under a Rhino stating that it may not be used by troops equipped with Terminator armour...but I think it is included as Independent Characters can buy Terminator Armour and later join a unit with a dedicated transport but then not ride along in the transport due to their armour.
The same is true for Tau. Battlesuit commanders can join Fire Warrior teams, but they can not ride in their transports.

There are non-dedicated transports in the game, but they are Heavy Support, not Troops.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 21:14   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the Welcome and thanks for a great page and wonderful and helpful forums!

Oh...Did not know the topic already had been on earlier....and thanks for the MAce solution!

Found a little hope for the Taxi-idea-loving-people-out-there: In GW own homepage under the TAU Tactica Basics - Sniper Drones...the Author (No Name) mentions a way to compensate for the Sniper Drones bad movement abilities which is to send a Devilfish to pick them up....which could support the arguments about the seperate Devilfish entry choice!?!?!?

Check it out yourself...

Old 09 Jun 2006, 21:20   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah, I remember that article. I have no answer to it, except that GW has made similar gaffs before, if that is indeed what it was. :
Old 09 Jun 2006, 21:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Bah I give GW almost no credibility from their tacticas. These are the same people who on the cities of death preview said Tau would benefit from the master snipers ability that worked for weapons with the sniper profile... well as you all know there is no such weapon in the entire Tau army, not a single actual sniper rifle even our sniper drones arent snipers.

Old 09 Jun 2006, 21:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I noticed that too, and got a kick out of it.

I also noticed the Sniper drone thing, and it is a big goof, I think through other GW Bat Reps and articles it can inferred that they are 'fishes are dedicated.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 09:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Damn I didn't notice this.

It has the symbol, is in the troops section. Unlike the marine transports which don't have the symbol and are in the transport section. I would say that you could buy it as a FOC troop selection, except for pathfinders. Heck you could even mechanize kroot ;D.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 09:22   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRaptor

It has the symbol, is in the troops section. Unlike the marine transports which don't have the symbol and are in the transport section. I would say that you could buy it as a FOC troop selection, except for pathfinders. Heck you could even mechanize kroot ;D.
Right, but notice down below the symbol where it says "transport"? That should be a giveaway that you can not buy it on its own. And since you can not buy it on its own, the only way to deploy one is through a unit that has a "Transport" entry for it in their own profile.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 13:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Has anyone emailed Games Workshop and asked them about it? If not then I'll do so. I would love the be able to take a Warfish as a Troops choice.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 17:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by theRaptor

Right, but notice down below the symbol where it says "transport"? That should be a giveaway that you can not buy it on its own. And since you can not buy it on its own, the only way to deploy one is through a unit that has a "Transport" entry for it in their own profile.
Sorry you are wrong. Nothing in the BGB or Codex:TE says that devilfish can only be bought with a squad (unlike Codex:SM which specifically says this and that rhinos etc are dedicated transports). In fact I will quote the BGB to prove my points, "Other transport vehicles are chosen separately and occupy a Force Organisation Chart slot" (page 62, paragraph under heading "Who can choose a transport Vehicle?"). "transport" is not a synonym of "dedicated transport".
Closed Thread