Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fireknives? Or Specialize?
View Poll Results: What Crisis Configuartion SHould I Run?
Choice 1 on the post 12 42.86%
Choice 2 on the post 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09 Jun 2006, 03:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Fireknives? Or Specialize?

I’m familiar with all the concepts on the suits, but what I need help on is this idea. :-\
I'm going to use a Shas 'O and two suits in this 1000pt list one way or the other, so that's a given. I was debating between either of these two choices in a 1000pt army. I regularly play tyranids, orks, and space marines. I have enough anti light infantry and railguns and markerlights. These will be my only three suits, and I need some low AP and some anti-light vehicles/high toughness suits.

Choice 1
Shas 'O
Fireknife with MT, HW BSF, bonding knife
Bodyguard x 2
Firekives with MT's
254pts total

~or~

Choice 2
Shas 'O
CIB, TL PR's, maybe an ejection system or stim injectors for survivability
+
Crisis Team
Shas 'Ui x 2
Deathrain + BSF's
212pts total

I know specialization is always great, but I like how you get a mass of 9 shots from fireknives at 24" range, while you only get 4 from the deathrain , and though you get 7 shots total at 12" range from the 'O, many fail to wound.
Also, the fireknives can put more hurt on a single unit.
I'm really undecided :-\, and need some solid help from someone who has played both choices or close to them.
Any advice welcome.

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Old 09 Jun 2006, 04:26   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Fireknives? Or Specialize?

now while this is mostly my views on it this is a great configuration (although costly) for battle suits.

Shas'O w/ FB, Plasma Rifle and MT (drone controller w/ 2 shield drones, optional)
Shas'Vre #1 w/ TA, Plasma,BCs,HWMT
Shas'Vre #2 w/ AFL, MP, MT
Total-approximately 262 points (292 with drones)

these guys can handle anyhting to a light scale, pretty much supporting fire on everything for everything. otherwise a giant points waste, but they are fun ;D

Old 09 Jun 2006, 04:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

I would suggest the Fireknives, but rather than a multitracker, give them a targeting array and hardwire a Target Lock, or else twin-link the Plasma Rifle or Missle Pod; this will make them more reliable. This will make them much more reliable shooters for a minor points increase. Fireknife is nice cause it can handle almost everything, and there are plenty of shots. I generally shy away from specialized Crisis Suits, as their low BS hurts their ability to handle a crisis; when you have to have that one shot that absolutely counts, Crisis Suits are not the ones to turn to, unless you have three of them firing the same weapons.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 09 Jun 2006, 04:46   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

well if you decide to stay with fireknives then the best thing to do is give the bodyguards a Targetting Array and then HW the mutli tracker. that way you hit on 3+ and can fire both weapons

Old 09 Jun 2006, 04:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I would agree with Timber... the Fireknife is a proven configuration, with a good amount of shots/turn and AP/Strength with those, as pointed out. I prefer to give my commander a CIB, because with his BS5 (assuming it's a Shas'O) you usu. get 4-5 hitting, with the 6s AP1..equip the commander with the CIB, keep his 'pod, and the dual Fireknives, you get a solid 13 or so shots per turn... perfect for those 'nids, and good against the other armys, especially it you roll some lucky 6s on that CIB...that's MY 2 cents on that... I don't see the point of an ejection system, as all the survivor gets is a pulse pistol..although it may just be of lack of experience that I don't like it...

-Nuke

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 09 Jun 2006, 04:52   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

although the model only gets a pulse pistol, it is the fact that he is still alive after getting hit 4 times with a really big, but not instant kill, gun.

Old 09 Jun 2006, 06:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Specialize.

Just... try it. The results of a Helios blasting the Terminators apart while the Deathrain puts the last shots into the Rhino of hell is good. Try it before you bleat like a sheep and FK yourself.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 09 Jun 2006, 06:30   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

specialize.

i ran with fireknives for a while; i wasnt that impressed with them, but when i switch to specializing suits it was an amazing difference. i wont ever go back to fireknife, also as bit of advice when i specialize i add a targetting array so that way my crisis DO become the most dependable unit in my army.

just think of it 3+ to hit... oops i missed once, oh wait! I get to reroll that! yay tau!
Old 09 Jun 2006, 07:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Do both?

Take two BS5 Commanders with the Fireknive config as there High BS realy makes a difference.

Then take Some Deathrains and Helios or realy any other speicalised suit

This way you get the best of both worlds
Old 09 Jun 2006, 13:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas El Ukos
I’m familiar with all the concepts on the suits, but what I need help on is this idea. :-\
I'm going to use a Shas 'O and two suits in this 1000pt list one way or the other, so that's a given. I was debating between either of these two choices in a 1000pt army. I regularly play tyranids, orks, and space marines. I have enough anti light infantry and railguns and markerlights. These will be my only three suits, and I need some low AP and some anti-light vehicles/high toughness suits.
If you want the low AP with anti-light vehicle/high toughness, Fireknife looks like the way to go for you.

I'd try to weasel in a ABFP, perhaps. It ought to be effective against tyranid and orks.

Tyranid, orks, and marines are all strong armies in assault. Helios is a good choice if you don't mind getting close. Helios works best on the Commander, as Skilled Rider and Move Through Cover (IC rules) give him the best chance of evading assaults.

I think the CIB is a joke weapon. It's a anti-guard/anti-Tau gun. I don't recommend it as it's not reliable, but I know lot's of people use it.

Definitely give somebody stim injectors. That's a good item. Skip the ejection system.

I'd go Monat. As you've got a small (1000 point) army, you've probably got a lot of slots open.

I'd recommend something like...
Suit 1 & 2: Shas'o Helios/Fireknife or 'el Helios/Fireknife with TA

Suit 3: Elite with ABFP, TL MP, HW MT

Skip the drones for IC status. If you expect a Devastator squad or the equivalent, a Ninja'O is great! Suit 3 can use any secondary weapon, but Deathrain sounds like what you'd want.
Closed Thread